Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

We're new to this site, i'd like to know if there's anything natural that can help our dog, i feel like the Lantus is helping his diabetes, but hurting his overall health... he now has issues with his eyes, loosing his appetite... Lantus is also very expensive, are there any ways to reduce the cost in that?!

Dogs name: Beacon / Breed: Pure yellow lab

Weight: 98 lbs / 5 years old

Diet: natural, organic kirkland brand dry doog food

Insulin: Lantus, 12 units 2x a day (needed somthing that was longer lasting)

We don't home test, he goes to vet and they check his glucose curve, every 3-4 months (which he hates that day...)

He was diagnosed July, 2013
Current problems: he seems to be getting cataracts, drooping eye, loss of appetite...

Thanks,
jt
Old 09-21-2013, 01:07 PM

Chino, 9 year old Miniature Pinscher
11 lbs
Eukanuba Natural Lamb and Rice 1/2 cup twice a day
Humulin
3 units twice a day
One Touch

I'm looking for some help...please! Our Min Pin, Chino, was diagnosed on Tuesday of this past week with diabetes and a UTI. I never expected after feeling like he was only sick with an infection, because he was excessively drinking and urinating, that the vet was going to tell me he was diabetic. I wasn't very familiar with diabetes in dogs at that point so my initial response was to cry. We love our little Chino like we love our daughter. The worst part is our regular vet is a long way away from where we live and unfortunately they couldn't get him in that day for an appointment so I felt like he was so sick I made an appointment with a local vet. He ran the blood and urine analysis and diagnosed him, his blood sugar was over 500 (he did not give me an exact number) and he had a slight trace in his urine. Now let me say, he was not compassionate, kind, informative, etc in the slightest. He hit me so hard with the news I was completely overwhelmed. I would do anything to take care of Chino. He didn't tell me how to give the injections, the only thing he said to me was he wanted to see him back in a week, put him on 2 units twice a day and called in the insulin and gave us an antibiotic. After crying all the way home and several hours later, I finally started searching for information on the internet. I also asked him if I needed to change his food and he said nope, but he never asked me what we were feeding him. Tuesday night Chino got really sick and threw up several times. I thought maybe he was drinking so much extra water that maybe that's what caused him to get sick or the antibiotic. I called the vet first thing the next morning and they wanted him brought in for more testing, and an IV. He also asked me to pick up his insulin and syringes and bring them with me when I came. We dropped him off with another crying spurt afterwards. We picked him up that afternoon and they told us they finally got him to eat and gave him his insulin and his sugar was 317, then 2 hours later was 336. He asked us to bring him back in one week to see where we were. Over the next few days after his insulin shots he seemed to become very lethargic and tired, once again I got worried because no one has really talked to me about this disease so I called his regular vet and they told me to bring him in and they would check his sugar. Today it was 387, the vet wanted to bump him up to 3 units twice a day and see him back next Saturday. Let me say, our little Chino is a bit aggressive and tends to bite. We managed to initiate the first injection in the scruff of his neck but after that he won't let us near him without biting. He has always been this way even when we had to put ear drops in his ear a long time ago. He is a very nervous, uptight dog. We now have to muzzle him, my husband holds him and he will let me put the injection on his back near his butt without a fight. We immediately remove the muzzle, give him his treat and praise him like crazy. My husband and I really struggling emotionally and could really use some advice and guidance.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:53 AM

Cool Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Cody - 8 year old Min Pin

Dog's weight:15 lbs (he is very tall and skinny at this weight)

Diet: No steady diet, he is being very fussy. One day he wants home cooked, the next canned dog food, the day after kibble. If anyone can suggest anything I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Insulin: Humulin N
Number of units per injection and injections per day: 3cc 2x's a day
Brand of BG meter: Bayer Contour next until I can find a better one. **Suggestions appreciated.**

** Cody is driving me crazy with his food and feedings. He used to eat Purina one smart blend beef and rice. He stopped eating it. We finally settled on Taste of the wild Sierra Mountain Canine formula with roasted lamb. He ate that a few days and will pick here and there when I mix it with "People food" I have tried homemade recipes on other forums, once again he ate it a few days then refused. I am at my wits end with his being fussy. Any suggestions for fussy dogs? **
Old 10-07-2013, 09:31 AM

Re....your eating problems with Cody....We too faced a tough go with our dog and eating.......early in her life she would go 1-2 full days without eating at times, and normally her food would sit 8-12 hours before she would touch it.......this is a 60 lb dog! We tried every type of food imaginable. We would even give her a treat if she ate her food. 2 years ago (she is 10 now) we were out in the country, and she picked up a stomach bug from drinking some pond water. The vet checked her over, and one of the things she had us do was give her a pro-biotic called Fortiflora after a course of antibiotics. The idea was to repopulate her system with good stuff after the antibiotic wiped out the bug and most everything else. After sprinkling just 1/3 of a packet dusting her food, we set it down....the nose started going, and she ate the whole bowl.........that's twice a day for two years straight....she even bounces up and down as we walk it thru the kitchen to her area.

Reasons for your dogs appetite/ pickiness may be caused by many conditions, but finding some way to make eating a reward scenario has always helped for us. Jessie gets a tiny treat when she has a test, a treat when she eats.....she gets a tiny treat for almost anything good. We buy the fortiflora on line thru eBay, and compared to the vet its dirt cheap. Using just 1/3 of a packet, we stretch it even further. If someone asked me to describe it, I would call it catnip for dogs. The fact that Jessie eats all her food, is actually Jessie eating all the Fortiflora she can find....the food is just what it happens to be sprinkled on.

If your dog has serious eating issues (not eating enough to sustain weight and energy), you should consult your vet.

Mark
Old 10-10-2013, 05:09 PM

Question Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Hello, I'm a newbie here and a newbie to canine diabetes, as my Che (pronounced with long 'e') was diagnosed 9/28/13, less than 2 weeks ago. I have been surfing the net to find out as much info as I can in order to do my best to take good care of her.

Due to the cost, we (as in my husband and I) got a human meter, even after my vet really pushed for us to get the Alpha-Trak.

Can anybody tell me about the proper dog ranges using a human meter?

I found this on another canine support group for diabetes and wonder if these are human meter ranges for dogs?
90*Hypoglycemia,
100-180*Safe Zone Prior to Insulin Shot,
185-270 Target Range For A Diabetic Dog Throughout The Day,
More than 360*“Renal Threshold” Possible Hyperglycemia.

Dog's name, breed: Che – (female)
Black Lab & Chow?

Weight: 66 pounds

Diet: Natures Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato & Costco Mature Dog Chicken, Rice & Egg

Insulin: Vetsulin

Number of units per injection and injections per day:*
average of 15 units per injection, twice per day, every 12 hours

Brand of BG meter if home testing:
TRUEbalance
Old 10-19-2013, 12:30 PM

My 10 year old border collie was diagnosed oct 3rd 2013 with diabetes.

I first got a human insulin meter and it was way off from the one I now have a alphatrak 2. the reli-on confirm meter was low by about 60.

I have been feeding shama Blue Freedom grain-free adult canned food.

We started Shama on 8 units of Novolin N for 2 weeks. Her glucose was high so after a vet visit we changed to 10 units. she is still high and we may go to 12 units. shama weighed 74.2 lbs when diagnosed and in 2 weeks lost about 3lbs.

Last edited by jayi; 10-19-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie View Post
Hello, I'm a newbie here and a newbie to canine diabetes, as my Che (pronounced with long 'e') was diagnosed 9/28/13, less than 2 weeks ago. I have been surfing the net to find out as much info as I can in order to do my best to take good care of her.

Due to the cost, we (as in my husband and I) got a human meter, even after my vet really pushed for us to get the Alpha-Trak.

Can anybody tell me about the proper dog ranges using a human meter?

I found this on another canine support group for diabetes and wonder if these are human meter ranges for dogs?
90*Hypoglycemia,
100-180*Safe Zone Prior to Insulin Shot,
185-270 Target Range For A Diabetic Dog Throughout The Day,
More than 360*“Renal Threshold” Possible Hyperglycemia.

Dog's name, breed: Che – (female)
Black Lab & Chow?

Weight: 66 pounds

Diet: Natures Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato & Costco Mature Dog Chicken, Rice & Egg

Insulin: Vetsulin

Number of units per injection and injections per day:*
average of 15 units per injection, twice per day, every 12 hours

Brand of BG meter if home testing:
TRUEbalance
next time your at the vet have them test the blood glucose and take a reading with your meter on the same blood to see how they differ.
your in this for the long haul you need to get a meter calibrated for dogs. there is one that costs less than alphatrak, called iPet but it takes more blood to get a reading.

Last edited by jayi; 10-19-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:45 AM

Dog's name,breed: Penny 14 now 15 in 16 days
Collie, Staffie, Kelpie X
Diagnosed 25 October 2013

Weight: Now 20.2 kg's

Diet:
Still trial and error, she only got home from the Vet yesterday
Madam Fusspot likes My Dog and Chunkers
Dry Food Purina for Mature Dogs

Insulin:
Caninsulin
12 Units
Once A Day
Old 10-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Welcome to you and Penny. I started a thread for Penny with some important information about dosing of Caninsulin.

Natalie
Old 10-31-2013, 09:46 PM

Name: Jinx -- Silky Terrier 9 yrs old
Diagnosed 9-13-2013
Diet: Raw
Insulin: Vetsulin 2 units twice a day
Meter: One Touch Ultra 2

We took Jinx to the vet because he was bumping into things and suspected he was going blind. A few weeks before that he started drinking a lot of water and peeing on the floor a lot. I feel terrible that we waited so long but we did.

We took him to the vet and his Bg was at 527. They told us on a Friday and to bring him back Monday. Well after talking to my brother who feeds his dog a raw diet, (I didn't. Jinx ate kibble and anything he begged for off the table which is most likely what got him to this point) we decided to see how a raw diet would do. So we called the vet and told her we were going to try raw and get him checked after a couple of weeks. So we did. And even though he acted happy, stopped drinking gallons of water, stopped peeing on the floor, and his eyes that were constantly leaking and crusty cleared up; he was losing weight. So we took him back and his Bg was at 487 on 10-25-13.

So this time he was definitely going to have to get on insulin no matter how hopeful and delusional we were.

He started on vetsulin on Tuesday the 29th. His reading at 5:00pm before leaving the Vet office was 433. We gave him his 8pm shot and the next morning the 30th took him to the vet and he was at 344 at 8:30am. After breakfast and after 2 units of insulin at 9:30am he was at 314. At 11:30 he was at 173, 1:30 248, 3:30 283, 5:00pm 310. We brought him home and gave him his 8pm meal and his shot. I did not measure the one touch to the vets meter so I'm not sure how much difference it is, but they did say they use human meters too and when we left on Wednesday they gave us the alpha trak 2 DVD. So this morning the 31st on the one touch he was at 254 before breakfast and insulin at 8am , 146 at 9:30am, and 76 at 11:30am. Which I called in late to work because if he dropped at the same time as the day before I was nervous it might be low. I called the vet and they said as long as he was not wobbly don't worry and agreed that his bg would probably start going back up like yesterday. So I went to work. I took his bg again at 8:00pm today and it was at 203. So now I'm wondering what will happen with 2 units. I was nervous that he might go too low. So I asked my brother, and he recommended 1 unit and see. So ive read it's better for him to be high than low so was going to do that but guess what!! I gave him his shot and felt wetness. I went right through the other side!! I was upset and crying and shaking. Just feel so stupid and that I'm hurting my dog instead of helping after not taking good care of him his whole life. Anyway after feeling sorry for myself I read it's better to just skip the dose so I did. I took his bg an hour later anyway and it went up to 254. So I'm guessing he will be close to 400 in the morning if his pattern is the same. We will see.
I'm very thankful for this forum. It has helped a lot the past couple of days.
I just hope this gets easier.

Last edited by Jinxy; 11-01-2013 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Twice a day insulin