Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashly View Post
I found most of the posts regarding diet useful. Not sure where to purchase some of the foods, but I'm going to look around. Zaar seems quite tired with his usual Royal Canin and Hills Prescription Diet. I do add shredded chicken, veggies, broth and/or tuna water. Followed someone's suggestion of baby food, but Zaar wasn't impressed.I even add hot dogs or pork sometimes - just to get him interested to eat so I can give insulin. Read here someone wrote about their dogs diet in the last month. I'm wondering if Zaar is telling me something? He's also blind, 15 and 3 months and as a friend says - Zaar is in his own world. I'm a bit sad.
You can order the food online with sites like Chewy or Wag. Right now, Chewy is offering 20% off your 1st order if you auto-subscribe. Wag has 15% off your 1st order with coupon code WAGSALE or 15% off orders for 3 months for new members with code: 3MONTHS15

Both carry prescription foods, but they will need to contact your vet.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:47 AM

Vinny T 25 lb JRT 12 years old
Cataract new
IDDM x 2 years now
Lantus insulin twice per day 15 units AM and 20 units PM
has 2 meals per day Science diet weight reduction topped with sprinkle of cooked chicken and or fish.
Pretty good control as we speak will post curve soon
Home testing with Alpha Track meter use Freestyle strips

Last edited by Lnard54; 08-03-2016 at 08:58 AM. Reason: forgot to add my meter
Old 08-05-2016, 06:49 PM

Mr Shadow is a good eater iin the p.m. but the breakfast has been quite challlenging! I switch between grilled chicken. D/W chicken & veggies and try to mix a bit of dry dog food (D/W). The baby food only worked 2 days & he refused to eat it.

Seriously looking for a better choice for breakfast.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:03 AM

Butch is a pure bread yellow lab
hill science dm high in fiber
for treats we use plain rice cakes, if his sugar is low we add a little peanut butter
humulin N 23 twice a day
butch is now 80 lbs down from 108 1 1/2 years ago when he was diagnoised

Last edited by kathye57; 08-10-2016 at 10:08 AM. Reason: forgot to add some things
Old 08-14-2016, 05:38 AM

Hello! I'm new posting but have been reading for a Month. I'm here to learn.

Name, breed: Pippin is a fawn Italian Greyhound
Weight: 22 lbs
Diet: Chicken, green beans, carrots, pearled barley, brown rice, little Hills I/D
Insulin: Humulin N
Units per injection: Currently 5.5 units 2x daily
Brand of BG meter: AlphaTrak 2
Other info: Pippin is blind from PRA and has had hypothyroidism for two years. He was diagnosed with diabetes in June.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:11 PM

Hi everyone
I'm new to this site, and looking for information on the best diet for Monty.
Monty is a 13 yr old mini schnauzer, weighing 14 lbs. He was just diagnosed two weeks ago. We have him on Vetsulin 1.5 units twice a day. He goes for his blood work on Tuesday. Vet wants us to buy dog food from them, Prescription Diet W/D. I did some research online and from what I saw, that food has higher carbs and I question some of the ingredients. I am currently feeding him Beyond Diet - Grain free food, so I'm reluctant to change to a food with higher carbs.
Has anyone done research on which is the best low carb food? I have two other schnauzers that are also fed Beyond Diet food that are not diabetic.

Thanks
Julie and Monty
Old 09-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Founding Member

Hi Julie: sorry Monty is diabetic. Here is another schnauzer thread where a couple of schnauzer moms talk about diet needs. http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Gohl View Post
Hi everyone
I'm new to this site, and looking for information on the best diet for Monty.
Monty is a 13 yr old mini schnauzer, weighing 14 lbs. He was just diagnosed two weeks ago. We have him on Vetsulin 1.5 units twice a day. He goes for his blood work on Tuesday. Vet wants us to buy dog food from them, Prescription Diet W/D. I did some research online and from what I saw, that food has higher carbs and I question some of the ingredients. I am currently feeding him Beyond Diet - Grain free food, so I'm reluctant to change to a food with higher carbs.
Has anyone done research on which is the best low carb food? I have two other schnauzers that are also fed Beyond Diet food that are not diabetic.

Thanks
Julie and Monty
Old 09-06-2016, 11:05 AM

Name, breed: Luna, 10 month old Great Dane
Weight: 83 lbs and growing
Diet: main food is Blue Wilderness Adult Large Breed Salmon, mix some fresh salmon or Hills W/D (she gets fed 3 cups twice a day); green beans, broccoli, and carrots for snacks
Insulin: Novalin N
Units per injection: Currently at a range of 10-15 units 2x a day.
Brand of BG meter: AlphaTrak 2
Other info: Luna was diagnosed at 12 weeks old. It's been harder on me than her I think. But she is now healthy and happy. Considering her breed and age, it's a constant job of monitoring to know how much insulin she needs. She was spayed in July and that's changed everything again. I'm so fully committed to giving her the best life possible though.
Luna, 10 month old Great Dane, diagnosed around 12 weeks. Insulin is Novalin N. Blue Wilderness adult large breed salmon recipe with tuna, salmon or egg. Treats are carrots, green beans, and broccoli.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:42 PM

Exclamation Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Luigie age 14 as of Dec 5 2016 Schnauzer med weighs 21 lbs

Diagnosed Sept 1 2016 started 2.5 insulin now up to 15 NPH insulin twice a day using 100 unit needles Have been taking him 3 x a week for vet to check levels Everytime insulin has been increased I have become very worried

He is on a precriptive diet first 6 days on can food but hated it would no eat alone so I added boiled chicken breast fat free, cooked carrots even a little brown rice I give him 4oz 6:30 am 6:30 pm then the shot He generally eats between 2 1/2 & 3oz rarely 4oz but sometimes

He seems disorinented all the time He best behavior was at 10.cc but test were high always over 300/500 range Be going on 3 weeks Tuesday when he goes back at $180 a week I can't afford that and required to pay up front I'm a retired senior on SS He had been diagnosed with pancreitis had an attack last sept, Feb 2016 another in March Had first only seizure May 5 Sept 1 after 2 days of not being aright hind end would fail he went to vet test has diabeties. At one point last Sept it was suspected he had cushings but at no time in visits was he ever tested for that I have read up on all of what he has or supsected to have All seem to be connected I'm afraid insulin or at least this kind is not effective for him Can you offer an opinion if phone call would be better let me know Thank you for your time Mary Luigies mom
Old 09-22-2016, 09:59 PM

Name and breed: Bella, corgi/beagle mix
Weight: 36 lbs
Diet: 1/2 cup Merrick grain-free kibble, cup of cooked meat, tsp plain yogurt, 1/2 tsp coconut oil, 1/2 T PetVi supplement. (Just started the last 3 this week; Bella has skin issues and has been chewing on herself obsessively - she currently wears a Zen cone. No indication yet if the extras are helping.) She's not a big fan of eating kibble.
(Oh, that's all for one meal - she eats 2x a day)
Insulin: Vetsulin, but we're going to transition her over to Novolin N next week.
Units: 11 units
Brand meter: I'm just starting out on home testing. Right now using my own glucose meter (Walgreen's True Trak)
Other Info: I really have no idea from her behavior when her sugar is high or low. When she was diagnosed, she'd lost 10 lbs in three months, was hungry all the time and drinking water excessively. She's put back on all the weight (which I think is too much). She's normally very low key anyway, so can't tell when she's normal or being lethargic. Diagnosed 12/14.