Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:06 AM

Default Heartgard Plus / Frontline Plus / Revolution

I know Harry has experienced one day elevation in BG with Revolution, but do you also see some elevation with Heartgard Plus? I switched Harry from Revolution to Frontline Plus, and I did not see any impact on BG from Frontline Plus. Heartgard seemsto keep his BG levels in 300s (even 24 hours after).
Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Heartgard Plus / Frontline Plus / Revolution

That's interesting...I'll have to monitor that when I give Jasmine her Heartgard and Frontline next week.

It's amazing to me that something so small could impact BG that much on a large dog.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:31 AM

I tried to find the information I received on Revolution from the Canine Liver Board I read. Some folks there do not recommend the use of Revolution for even health dogs as there COULD be liver issues.

I'm so sorry I can't remember all the details, but I did take Pip off that medication last year. Just wanted to share that in case anyone wanted to do further research.

Perhaps someone here knows more detail?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:55 AM

I had to use Revolution because my 20 year old cat came down with a horrible skin condition (allergy to something then MRSA). We thought mites were a possibility, and Revolution is the only product that works against the mites. We have to use Frontline Plus because we have a ton of wildlife that come to our backyard, and fleas are a real problem (along with ticks - my dogs tested positive for numerous tick borne illnesses).
Old 04-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Founding Member

have you ever tried dawn dish soap the basic blue style ( Iguess it has to be dawn for some reason and it has to be the blue version)

jesse got fleas just recently from catching a squirrel

well I thought hmmm this isnt good fleas off a squirrel so i looked online to find something that might get rid of them quick

well i tried the dawn dish soap with a bath no more fleas on jesse and they say it takes care of the eggs too I sprayed the spots she was laying with flea and bedbug insecticide and havent seen any fleas
Old 04-26-2011, 12:04 PM

Jesse Girl,
I think the issue is also ticks (very common in our neighborhood - maybe even our backyard) as well as my cat's possible allergic reaction to fleas. I nearly lost my 20 year old cat because of skin allergy complication earlier this year. The dermatologist thought mites / flea reactions. He said that it would only take a single flea bite to cause an allergic reaction.
I also suspect my Harry's proteinuria may be due to tick exposure (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Ehrlichia). I even found an attached deer tick on myself not too long ago. I do live on the mountain, and we are surrounded by wilderness (coyotes, skunks, racoons, deer and mountain lions to name a few) - even though we put tall fencing around our house, we do find deer in our backyard.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

If you're in an area where heartworm is a big risk and wanting to use the meds, you might look at Interceptor vs. Heartguard's meat flavored chew. The Interceptor is a chewable tablet and may not raise blood sugar as much as the chew.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 PM

Patty,
Good idea. I tried Interceptor last year, but my dogs hated the taste. I will keep my non-diabetic dog on Heartgard, but switch Harry.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:20 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMom View Post
I know Harry has experienced one day elevation in BG with Revolution, but do you also see some elevation with Heartgard Plus? I switched Harry from Revolution to Frontline Plus, and I did not see any impact on BG from Frontline Plus. Heartgard seemsto keep his BG levels in 300s (even 24 hours after).
I always used Frontline Plus with Niki, I never noticed any difference with her bg levels, never tried the others.

Dolly
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 04-29-2011, 10:17 AM

There's a new product in the Vet's office now. I did pick up a 6 mo. supply but still have the Heartgard and Comfortis to run out.

The new product is Trifexis (spinosad + milbemycin oxime). A chewable tablet for heartworm, fleas and intestinal parasites. One tablet per month.

You may want to check it out with your vet.

Cheers

Harry.