Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:54 AM

Default advice-please

Does anyone one here have a dog with congestive heart failure and diabetes? chester has both and am really scared and sad.

Last edited by k9diabetes; 01-13-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: restoring Chester as author
Old 08-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: diabetes and chf

Hi and Welcome to you and Chester!

I'm not sure that we have a member currently with Congestive Heart Failure and diabetes, but we have had a few with other heart issues and diabetes as well.

Can you tell us more about Chester? What type of dog is he? How old? How long has he had CHF? diabetes?

As I said we do have dogs will other multiple diseases that have led very full and happy lives. Glad you found us.

Take care,
Patty
Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 PM

chester ia a 12 year old miniture pinsher . his heart murmur is a 4 - found out he has a murmur in december of 09 . diabetes - found out 2 weeks ago . he is still going through a curve and i guess they want to inject 2 x daily . sounds like they upped his dose to 3 units today - he weighs 13 pounds - he started at 16.8 pounds . this weight loss stuff really SCARES me - to me he looks ill from losing that much weight . i will find out more when i get him at 5 today .
Old 08-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Default Re: eye drops

thanks for all the replies so far - i really appreciate hearing them all . i would like to also hear more about this billberry stuff if you have any info .
Old 08-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Chris had numerous heart problems - a murmur, an enlarged left ventricle, a leaky valve, and an arhythmia! His heart problem never progressed to actual congestive heart failure...

Usually if heart failure is present, there is fluid accumulating in the lungs. Has Chester been x-rayed or otherwise checked to determine that his heart is in failure?

Is he on any medication for it?

They often will give a diuretic.

Vetmedin (pimobenden) is an absolutely wonderful drug for dogs with heart problems. It was approved in the U.S. about the time Chris' heart was starting to have serious problems. I was told that they just "feel better" on it and that was certainly true for Chris. I credit it with giving him a much longer and fuller life than he would have had otherwise.

We worked closely with a cardiologist and if you have access to one, they are very helpful.

A lot depends on how severe these kinds of problems are and how well they respond to the medication.

Natalie
Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Heidi,
I went back and looked and actually these links were ones you'd sent me.

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/ajvr.67.10.1783?cookieSet=1&journalCode=ajvr

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2002&Category=4141&PID=26 167&O=Generic

I hate how the avma one was done. Feeding a poor diet to cause cataracts, euthanizing the dog to study the lens. Ugh.
Patty
Old 08-03-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
Heidi,
I went back and looked and actually these links were ones you'd sent me.

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/ajvr.67.10.1783?cookieSet=1&journalCode=ajvr

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2002&Category=4141&PID=26 167&O=Generic

I hate how the avma one was done. Feeding a poor diet to cause cataracts, euthanizing the dog to study the lens. Ugh.
Patty
Hi Patty,

I know, it is animal abuse in my opinion. Thanks so much Patty for posting these links. My brain is pretty scattered right now and I really appreciate having you to help. You are soooo organized and a blessing to us all

Hugs,
Heidi and Chloe
Old 08-03-2010, 09:52 AM

My first thought reading through this thread is that I do not personally have knowledge of drops helping cataracts... However as usual I will go where angels fear to tread.....

No vet, albeit ophthamologist, iternist, neuroloist has all the answers. I do have personal knowledge of this fact. I think on this forum, as on others, what we use for guidance, is what has worked for others, combine that with our own vets knowledge and experience, and enhance the whole thing with as much research on any subject as we can possibly do.

I do personally know a vet who recommends the ocluvet drops that buddingartist has been using, and he reports that 80% of dogs see some improvement. Since Louise's dog has shown imporvement, that is confirmation to me that it will work in at least some dogs.

There are good vets out there, and some not so much. There are experienced vets that go by what they have personally experienced, and what they learned in school. Some younger vets are less experienced for sure, but are more willing to try alternative therapies. None of their options should be dismissed out of hand because our own personal vet has not tried the procedures.

With our first spinal rescue, after $5,000 in diagnostic tests with noted research neurologists, we were told that Solomon would never walk. They were right. They said he would not live more than a few months, they were wrong....he will have his 5th anniversary with us in Oct.

Our second spinal rescue, after being examined by the best neurologists available, we were told he would also never walk. He didn't for nearly 2 yrs, then he began walking and now 4 yrs later he can run!!

On our handicapped pugs, we have been given endless advice on feeding Hills foods. Similar adivce I was given on our diabetic pug. Wonder if that advice would have been the same, if they did not sell it and you could pick it up at Walmart? One member of my handicapped pet forum was told not to give a pinch of tuna in the water as I had advised because of the sodium content. Course she was advised to stay on the the Hills C/D with nearly 50 times as much sodium.

My point is this, none of us are vets that I am aware of, none of our vets are perfect or know everything, and we should give some leeway to people who have actually used a product or a procedure, not discount it because some "expert" advised us to. I also think that ones finances do enter into the care of our precious pets. In a perfect world this would not be the case, but last time I checked we were not living in Utopia. JMO
Old 08-03-2010, 11:43 AM

Oh my Joan, this is so very well said! If we always blindly took the advice of a Vet or anyone else as the absolute, my Chloe for one would not be with me today. The Vet I had when Chloe was first diagnosed kept increasing her insulin based on nothing more than her Fructosamine tests. Each time the test was repeated, it was worse; why, because she was rebounding from too much insulin. They did not believe in home testing or doing curves. Thank the Lord Carla stepped in and saved Chloe from that Vet. She advised me to get a new Vet right away and I did. In no time, all was well.

I think this forum is a wonderful source of knowledge. Like you said, no one is perfect and no one knows everything (except God). It is so wonderful to be able to have a place to hear others opinions on things; people who have "been there" with their fur babies.

Again, a great post you made.

Hugs,
Heidi and Chloe
Old 08-03-2010, 11:48 AM

Thanks Heidi, BTW Carla saved my Bella too, so we have lots in common.
Hugs Joan