Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

View Poll Results: What type of insulin are you currently using
Novolin NPH, have used Humulin NPH in the past 39 28.06%
Novolin NPH, never used Humulin NPH 23 16.55%
Humulin NPH, have used Novolin NPH in the past 3 2.16%
Humulin NPH, never used Novolin NPH 28 20.14%
Levemir 11 7.91%
Caninsulin / Vetsulin 38 27.34%
Lantus 1 0.72%
Also add Regular insulin 5 3.60%
Also add Humalog or Novolog fast acting insulin 6 4.32%
Other. Please post and describe what you are using 4 2.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Default Which insulin do you use?

In particular, which type of NPH are you using?

If your dog has passed away, please vote with the last insulin you used.

AND you can vote in more than one category. So if you are using a combination of insulins, vote in all of the categories you are using.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Which insulin do you use?

Chris (diabetic 2003 to 2008): Regular R insulin (Novolin and Humulin at various times) four times a day, meals and injections every six hours.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:57 PM

i used Caninsulin at first then switched to novolin ge nph, then bought humulin once used it for a month, now i use novolin ge nph. but nordisk has a new insulin out overseas thats supposed to stop the low bg s, fda needs to approve it in north america.

i d like to buy novolin r fast acting to keep on hand for an emergency but the vet wouldn t recommend it or tell me what syringes to use or what iu to inject at first.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:15 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
i used Caninsulin at first then switched to novolin ge nph, then bought humulin once used it for a month, now i use novolin ge nph. but nordisk has a new insulin out overseas thats supposed to stop the low bg s, fda needs to approve it in north america.

i d like to buy novolin r fast acting to keep on hand for an emergency but the vet wouldn t recommend it or tell me what syringes to use or what iu to inject at first.
the syringes are the same you use for n and can be mixed with n in the same syringe . for most of us who use a fast acting like r or novolog the action of this insulin has a big affect on blood sugar in a short time we have developed protocols on when to use like giving when number is maybe above 300 and only giving at certain times of the day i stick with a 6 hour cycle so by the next time i am ready to give that next shot of n we dont have any residual fast acting in the system working when i dont want it to be

doses for jesse are a quarter unit to a half and that can drop blood sugar for jesse a 100 points

i can understand your vets reluctance to using it .many dont have much experience using it and you do have to monitor blood sugar quite closely when first using so home blood testing is a must
Old 05-12-2013, 08:02 PM

Using Novolin N. We may have come pretty close to regulating Abbie. Speaking to the Vet tomorrow with today's results. No readings in the 300s Yeah!
Elaine & Abbie
Old 06-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Bumping up
Old 06-13-2013, 06:04 AM

Humulin N

My Vet told me not to use the generic at Walmart Why?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Dog View Post
Humulin N

My Vet told me not to use the generic at Walmart Why?
The people at Piper's diagnosing vet told us not to use Novolin as well. They said it wouldn't work in dogs. I dont know where they got that from, but obviously, that's not the case, since a lot of dogs do well on it. We had no choice but to get Novolin, since our Walmart no longer sold the Humulin, and Piper is able to use it.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Founding Member

i agree with mandy . there is no general consensus that says the relion brand of nph insulin which is novolin at walmart is not effective in dogs . even if it has some discernible differences with humulin most dogs dont get normal blood sugar anyway so the differences have little affect for most . most here on the forum use it for there pups .
Old 06-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Administrator

The action of the two might be slightly different, but particularly in a newly diagnosed dog, you don't have a pattern yet to worry about anyway.

In addition, the Relion N is not actually "generic". It is Novolin N (printed right on the box) just packaged in House Brand packaging by Walmart. The two preparations - Humulin N and Novolin N - are essentially identical.

To be honest, I think a lot of information vets have gotten about insulin have come from sales reps. I know that Vetsulin sales reps used to tell people that NPH was going to be discontinued "any day now" as a way to convince them to put all of their patients on Vetsulin. Wouldn't surprise me if Eli Lily sales reps have spent a lot of time and energy criticizing the Novolin product.

We used R only, which is a less complicated product, but we switched back and forth between Humulin and Novolin without any problems. A lot depends on how sensitive the individual dog is to insulin and the other ingredients in it.

Natalie