My Dog Pip is an Angel 08.30.13...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Dog Pip

Awe Pam, it is a challenge. Ali dropped weight with her steroids. I had to increase her caloric intake (and in our case that was a huge task to balance and increase enough). It's even harder when Pip won't eat.

Urine strips should last about 6 months I believe, but that's dependent on humidity, how often they are exposed to air, etc.

Love that he wants to be carried and near you
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by pgcor View Post
      Thanks for checking on us Barb! Pip is still up and down and that does worry me. He's lost 5 lbs., which he can ill afford. The prednisone was supposed to drop to every other day, but has now been doubled until Thursday. The Vet wants to do a 1-2 punch and try to knock out the inflammation. His appetite should have improved on the steroid, but still only wants fat free hot dogs. Which he does eat like the little piggy he always has been

I've raised his insulin because the 7 units wasn't even close. So, with Vet approval we raised him to 11, but he's still showing some very high readings. I know that is expected with steroids, but his vision is rapidly deteriorating. We showed ketones on the urine strips as well so we rushed him in last week, but the vet showed no ketones in his urine.

She explained that our strips might be old??? I'm inclined to believe that he "peed" them out before they checked him. But I don't know if that's possible.

On a happier note, I carry him around with me everywhere and he likes that! I was reading My Monster Vinny's post about how they get scared and want attention and that seems to be the case with Pip - and I'm happy to oblige him!
      Hi Pam

I've been here but not here I get the update's on Pip in my email.

Poor lil Pip, I hope he's feeling better now.

I hope he is back to his 7 units, I don't like the vet jumping him to 11 units, that's just my thinking, I know the Pred can make the BG really go up there. I always hated when Niki had to take that. He's eating the hot dogs so that's good.

I know how you feel about his vision. I'm hoping he's bouncing back, it just makes us a nervous wreck when they are sick.

Take care and give the Pipster a hug for me

Dolly and Angel Niki
      Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

I'm so sorry Pip isn't feeling well! I thought it was funny when I read you were carrying him around...there is no way I could do that with Vinny!

Hope things get better soon!
        Mel
        Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Pip is going through a rough patch.....I hope he starts to feel lots better soon! Although....I can't blame him about the hot dogs....they are pretty yummy

Best of luck...
          Emily & Elliot
          Elliot is a 25 lb. min. schnauzer, 10 yrs. old, dx 3/2013. dx Cataracts 8/2013 resulting in loss of sight. AlphaTrak 2 Meter with Freestyle Lite strips. Hills W/D glucose management kibble with add ins of poached chicken and Beneful soft food.

Comment

DOLLY!!! I'm so glad to hear from you and hope you're doing well with your Pipster!

Thank you Mel and Emily too! We're hanging in there, but the little guy is just not feeling well. He's off to the Vet this morning, but he really loves the new Vet and is not as frightened as he used to be. The staff there are wonderful with him.

Over the weekend he took my husband's shoe out of the closet (which is large) and was "killing" it by shaking it back and forth. It makes me cry to see him play. It's all up and down, but I so love those moments.

Pam

Comment

Fingers crossed that you get some answers at the vet today, and that Pip is feeling better soon!

Lynn

Comment

Hi Pam, I haven't been around much, but really wanted to send you my well wishes. Feed him those darn hot dogs with abandon.

After Ruby was gone I wished I had given her so many more treats....was always trying for regulation. Remember Bill saying to give her lots of treats and thinking "No, what would it do to the Megae. Even if I had lost her sooner...she loved snacks.

Would give anything to have it to do over again. The peeing in the house would be hard, but with hind sight I know that nothing I did ever really affected that, so I would treat away.

Hopefully I have the deceased dog license to say the following. (I know some things I write may not make sense to all, but I think you get me Pam.)
                If you can, I would try not to worry about the eyesight. He has been walking the edge for a bit and it is so important for you to be present for him completely now without fear of what might come. Don't lose a second worrying about what you really can't change because you never get a do over with those seconds.

I never send hugs....just not my style, but think you really need one. So.....
                really tight (((HUG))).

Tara
                Tara in honor of Ruby.
                She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

pam you have done such a great job for pip and you will continue to provide what he needs

he is still feisty and you like to see that
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thank you Lynn, Tara and Jesse girl - I can't even say how much I appreciate the wishes and prayers.

Pip is in the hospital again, red cell count is way down, platelet count is way up, he has a temperature and a possible lung infection.

The Vet says no, but I think that the prednisone and azothyropine are definitely involved in this - especially the azothyropine which is an immunosuppressive drug.

I'm just sitting tight and waiting to hear what comes next. It's soooo busy here at work, but I just can't concentrate.

Pam

Comment

Oh Pam. Sending you strength - please keep us posted on Pip (and yourself!!!).

Hugs,
                      Tami
                      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

I understand. hugs to you and Pip.
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thank you for supporting us...we so appreciate it!

What I know is this:

1. white cells are way down
                          2. platelets are way up
                          3. temperature up 2 degrees
                          4. x-rays show "massive" lung infection (her words in "")
                          5. Notable anemia but not severe

Now she says these symptoms seem to indicate mylenoma...I don't know what to think???

Wouldn't you think these things could be caused by the steroids and the immunosuppressive drug??????

I love Pip so much, but he is so my heartbreak.

Comment

Pam,

I would think that all of those symptoms still point to an infection, more than likely this 'massive lung' infection is the cause of the other three symptoms. Is the antibodic that Pip is on, helping that infection, or should it be....

Steriods are known to suppress the immune system.. but still think there is something else going on, some sort of infection perhaps that has not been identified?

Praying for you and Pip..

Barb
                            Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

At a loss for what to say... sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts your way!
                              Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Sending good thoughts and prayers for Pip.

Jake
                                13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                                At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X