Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: newbie (Coco) need help and suport my dog will not eat

Welcome,
    Wow,sorry you're having a hard time. ...
    On the baby food,get the i think its gerber natural.anyway,you dont want the baby food that has onion powder...ya,no onion powder. Crazy,why would anyone put onion powder in baby food!!!! It is toxic for our pups.
    Gosh,good luck.there's a lot of experience here...you're in the right place.
    Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Originally posted by stylynjm View Post
      Welcome,
      Wow,sorry you're having a hard time. ...
      On the baby food,get the i think its gerber natural.anyway,you dont want the baby food that has onion powder...ya,no onion powder. Crazy,why would anyone put onion powder in baby food!!!! It is toxic for our pups.
      Gosh,good luck.there's a lot of experience here...you're in the right place.
      Thank you, I will discontinue baby food with onion powder!
      She ate cottage cheese today.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
        without giving any food you can give about quarter of the normal dose . the problem is you dont know what the normal dose is of yet but you have been giving one unit i believe ( if i am incorrect let me know ) you have seen numbers in the 100s which good but so early into this there might be risk of going lower with not having much wiggle room as we call it .

if with the couple spoonfuls of food that seems to raise it up a bit or at least maintain you maybe able to hold at that one unit but in any case a bit more testing maybe preferable

you maybe able to get an understanding when the nadir is ( time of lowest blood sugar ) which can be helpful . you might also get an initial impression of how blood sugar fluctuates throughout the day with injected insulin

as your doing i would not force feed let the appetite naturally come back as not to put to much pressure on the pancreas

the fluids will help . so now it a waiting game to let the body heal . if your pup is responsive and feeling better thats a good sign if you see any blood sugar below a 100 i would not hesitate to reduce the dose of insulin . i i understand that can be difficult to measure up but it can be done without half unit marking as with humane insulin syringes that are 30 units u-100 syringe where pet insulin only uses u-40 which use only full unit measurements ( not sure what insulin your using and which syringe )

my jesse only has one meal a day for specific reasons and if she is in the low 100s she can receive 1.5 units with a milk bone snack and stay in that range all day she is 26 pounds . now that maybe comparing apples to oranges with your pup. now with a full meal she is getting 5 to 6 units
        Thank you, vetsulin 1-2 units for now. She ate cottage cheese early in the day and was 255 @5 pm. Per vet 2 units. I gave her a tiny bit under 2.
        The vet is thinking 4 units once she eats. We are doing 1 unit 200-250, 250 up 2 units, under 200 nothing. (So far) this is the first time I gave her 2 units. The dosage I mentioned is Usually based on her numbers 5-7 pm. I've only been giving her 1. I will check her shortly, and definitely before bed. If she's near 100 I put honey on her gums or give her Karo. The vet always says Karo I have not asked about honey, but read honey can be used, is there a difference?
        Last edited by coco; 02-22-2016, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Re: How often should we be visiting the vet?

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
          Your situation with giving IV and other complications is waaaaay beyond my knowledge. I've been at this for 8 years with Annie's diabetes, but would have to do a lot of guessing if she had other major problems. It is so difficult if they don't eat full, repeatable, meals to determine their insulin dosage.

Craig
          Thank you for getting this post to appropriate place. I wasn't having much luck with the search option, that's why I asked you where yo find more info:

Comment

i prefer honey for jesse but i have used karo

for jesse the karo seemed to work quicker and the honey had a bit more staying power lasting a bit longer . but that thought is not very scientific just a feeling for the most part

i do adjust the dose depending on the fasting number for jesse ( test before food and insulin ) but many give a consistent dose

it sounds like your vet is cautious which is good thing with the additional challenges your seeing .

i might give a half unit if below 200 and maybe above 150 with some food consumed but if numbers are holding in the 200s even without a dose thats still very good
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I think giving a minimal dose is going to be the way to go. I don't think I would give 2 units if she is eating a couple of tablespoons of food. I wouldn't force her to eat - some vets advocate for it but I think they have a reason for not eating. I can't imagine feeling terrible and someone forcing food on me. Just build up a day at a time. I didn't even worry about getting good numbers when Maggie's pancreatitis would flare up. It was strictly an hour to hour thing.

Have you tried any wet canned food yet? You might find some and mix in a bite or two to see if she is interested.
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                I think giving a minimal dose is going to be the way to go. I don't think I would give 2 units if she is eating a couple of tablespoons of food. I wouldn't force her to eat - some vets advocate for it but I think they have a reason for not eating. I can't imagine feeling terrible and someone forcing food on me. Just build up a day at a time. I didn't even worry about getting good numbers when Maggie's pancreatitis would flare up. It was strictly an hour to hour thing.

Have you tried any wet canned food yet? You might find some and mix in a bite or two to see if she is interested.
                Thank you, I gave her under 2 but over 1 close to two. Lesson learned she was just 32, checked a second time right away 57, I gave her 1 1/2tsp Karo will check after 30 min. She's thirsty. Guess I have to stay up later than I wanted. She's responsive and it's been 20 min.
                She's not interested in the hills brand food vet gave me can.
                I'm not forcing her, but sometimes I do put a little in her mouth after she puts her nose up to it, sometimes she wants some, sometimes not.
                After 1 1/2 tsp Karo she's 348 any suggestions? 10:30 pm (next time I will start with 1, I freaked out a bit)
                Midnight 395, went out to pee 45 min later 307
                Last edited by coco; 02-23-2016, 05:25 AM.

Comment

I am new to this forum and having trouble figuring things out but wanted to make a couple of comments, risking repetition and if so, sorry. One is, if your baby had pancreatitis, be careful about tempting her with foods high in fat as that could aggrevate her pancreas further. Also, ask about a comparable Royal Canin wet food to substitute for the Hills Brand she is not interested in. I find that the Royal Canin prescription wet foods are more palatable than the Hills products. It is true that the recovery from pancreatitis is long and slow, and she will eat when she is ready. IV therapy is the only treatment that I know of.

Comment

Janeyp, thank you for the input.

Amydunn19, coco ate 2 tablespoons of chicken, about 2 hours ago, she is currently 227 should I wait and check her closer to 5 and give her 1 unit if she rises, or when would you suggest I administer? The 2 units yesterday was too much. She has been getting 1 unit 5-7 pm.
                    I've also read post when people comment they can help with insulin suggestions, is there a certain post or place for this.
                    Last edited by coco; 02-23-2016, 02:28 PM.

Comment

I hope I am not too late answering. I think if she has risen, you could do 1 unit or even eyeball a little bit less.

Generally if they don't eat at all, you can give 1/4 of their dose. It is hard to guess how much you can give because I don't know how food affects your dog. But, we can figure it out as we go. See what 1 unit does - dogs just react differently.
                      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I am going to test her now and administer what you suggest she was 242 at 3:45. She ate about 9 ml of baby food and 1 tsp of chicken, most of it at 12:30. At 3:45 she ate 3ml baby food. Thank you amydunn19!
                        She is currently 248. I will give her just under 1 unit should I check in 2 hours? Vet told me to check every 3-4.
                        Last edited by coco; 02-23-2016, 06:33 PM.

Comment

If testing is not a big deal then I would test in two hours. I am kind of a worry wart so when Maggie has not been eating, I test and test - probably overboard. More info is better especially early on.

Comment

2 hours after <1 unit insulin 92, I put a dab of honey on gums. 248 before insulin no appetite.
                            1 hour later 78 gave tsp Karo
                            50 minutes later 280 nibble of cottage cheese finally ate 1 tablespoon dog food. Digestive care Hills
                            Last edited by coco; 02-23-2016, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Maybe you should go down to a half unit until Coco can eat more.

Comment

At what Gluclose number would you administer the half unit? The vet is recommending 220-250 1 unit, under 200 none. She's mainly getting one dose around 5:30
                                Last edited by coco; 02-23-2016, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X