Nieshka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nieshka

I have an 8 year old Siberian Husky with diabetes. She weighs 75 pounds, she is not overweight, she is a large Husky. She was diagnosed five years ago. She is given intramuscular injections of Lantus glargine insulin at twelve hour intervals. 26 units in the AM and 24 units in the PM. She was non responsive to subcutaneous injections.

I feed her freeze dried Ziwi Peak venison and raw green beans. She also gets Wet Noses pumpkin treats.

I montior her glucose with a One Touch Ultra meter.

It was a struggle to get her stable when she was diagnosed, because she was non responsive to the subcu injections. Once the intramuscular injection was tried, her blood glucose came down to a normal range! It had been well over 300!

Being a Husky, her prey drive is very high as well as her nose for discarded food in the bushes. So, I do have to monitor her glucose and adjust insulin occasionally, if she has gotten into something. Otherwise, she has been very stable.
    Last edited by sueshaw; 05-08-2013, 02:13 PM.

Re: Nieshka

Moved your post into a new thread:
    http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4888
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Working...
    X