Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:44 PM

Default Re: My cat Audrey has a mouth cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMom View Post
I don't have the best news.
The radiologist report came back - extensive bond lysis into the mandible area along with teeth infection from the neoplasia - most consistent with squamous cell carcinoma. The cytology report will be back tomorrow.
Bloodwork, ironically, looked great - nothing abnormal - amazing for a 20 year old cat.
I will the use of low dose Naltrexone or Piroxicam with the oncologist tomorrow. I also ordered some Essiac tea at the recommendation of some friends. The holistic vet, though, said that Audrey's cancer is too aggressive and advanced for Essiac. The goal is to ensure that Audrey is comfortable and painfree as long as possible.
I also spoke with her regular vet who checked her mouth on July 12 and noted "no lesions or mass seen." She was so shocked by this news - esp since this thing grew so quickly.
I'm so sorry to be reading this news.

I do want to say that when Mildred's bladder cancer was discovered this past May the vet (not her regular vet) started her on Piroxicam immediately.
She soon became VERY ill, bloody diarrhea and quite lethargic.
I spoke with her regular vet about it and he had me stop the Piroxicam with a rest of a few days without it. We then began giving Carafate several hours before her Piroxicam which we started back at a third dose given every other day. We continued this for about a week giving her body time to adjust with slowly building up to half dose every other day and then gradually a full dose every day.

We use Piroxicam 10mg tabs cut with 10ml solution and with dosing at 1ml daily.
I spoke with a compounding pharmacist who told me to use sterile water or simply boil tap water before mixing.
I mix it myself but am probably going to have it compounded next week just to save me the trouble. The cost for the entire bottle (30 tabs) is only $25.00 to have mixed, I just haven't gone back yet to have it done.

Because I was in tears at the cancer diagnoses I went to the closest pharmacy which was a Walgreens and paid about $70.00 for the prescription.
I later inquired at Walmart and found that it falls into their cheaper meds....I do believe about $10.00 (or less) for the same.

For the time you and Audrey have left together I wish you much joy and hope she does not endure pain....I understand what you are facing, I'm sorry.

hugs

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog
Old 08-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Founding Member

I know Audrey is in the best hands, yours.

I hope you can enjoy some time together.

xoxo Judi
Old 08-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I'm so sorry Yunhee. I do hope she has many comfortable and painfree days ahead yet.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:07 PM

Arrow Re: My cat Audrey has a mouth cancer

Oh, dear Yunhee,

I'm so sorry to read about Audrey. At least she's clearly had a good life till now. And - 20 years - really magnificent! You surely have a lot on your hands, with four geriatric animal companions.

Sometimes I wish life didn't have death at its end!

I don't know of anyone who takes better care of her animal companions than you.

Waving our magic wands for you and Audrey, and Harry, too.
Mon, 8 Aug 2011 20:06:49 (PDT)
Old 08-08-2011, 08:14 PM

Judi, Eileen, Barb, Carol and Patty
Thank you.
My husband reported that Audrey seemed uncomfortable. He was working out of home, and he had her on his lap while working.
When I heard that, I thought her time has come, but this evening, she is comfortably resting on my lap. She even tried to take a large bite of my bread, so I think she is not suffering too much. When I was feeding the dogs, she came in the middle of the fiasco to demand her meal. I watched her eat a fair amount of food tonight.
I pray that I have enough courage to let her go without suffering.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 PM

Arrow Re: My cat Audrey has a mouth cancer

Yunhee - I don't doubt that when the time arrives, you will muster the necessary courage. That is what you are like. Courageous throughout, and always caring very deeply for each of your animal companions. Any pun on caring intended.

Love and hugs to you and all your animals,
Mon, 8 Aug 2011 20:19:21 (PDT)
Old 08-09-2011, 05:51 AM

Yunhee,

I echo Carol's words. You are such a dedicated mom and I am sorry you are going through this. Enjoy every minute with your Audrey.

Take good care
Louise
Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 AM

I am a bit shocked as Audrey's cytology indicated osteosarcoma, not squamous cell carcinoma. Apparently, bone cancer is extremely rare in cats, and they most often occur on legs.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Administrator

I'm very sorry Yunhee. I think you said this is not something you have had to do before. My experience is that you will know when the time has come.

Just 10 days before we let Gus go he had been doing pretty well. Our main problem was that he was not wanting to eat very well. That changed pretty abruptly and he was so much worse - the light and the fight went out of him - and then we knew what we had to do. The vet who had seen him just a few weeks earlier was shocked at the change in him in such a short time.

He had fought his IBD and arthritis for so long... there was a sense of peace that he didn't have to fight any longer and could be at rest. It doesn't make it any easier but the path you have to follow is clear and that helps a little.

Natalie
Old 08-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Thank you, Natalie
We had an oncologist appt today. She said that as far as cancers go, osteosarcoma is much better than squamous cell carcinoma. She suspects that it's been there a long while, but we would have not found it because it started deep within her jawbone. She does not think that the size is that large as far as osteosarcomas go. Unlike in dogs, feline osteosarcomas do not tend to be as metastizing apparently.
She will get Piroxicam which should help cut blood flood to the tumor. It should also help with the inflammation and pain. Until the compounded Piroxicam arrives, Audrey wiil get Buprenorphine for pain. She will get Piroxicam every other day. She will have another appt in two weeks for blood work. If blood work is OK, we will add another oral medication.
The oncologist also likes the idea of working with a holistic vet who prescribed some Chinese herbs for Audrey. She says that Chinese herbs often help to support the entire system to fight the cancer.
She also wants me to continue using Azodyl as it does protect the kidneys.
Keeping my fingers crossed that I have some more days with Audrey where she is relatively happy and pain free.