Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:32 PM

Default Re: My cat Audrey has a mouth cancer

Thanks for thinking of us Poodles.

With regard to Audrey, I don't think you could be too rash at this stage. But I think waiting till Friday is good so you have time with Audrey.
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:48 PM

Yunhee, I can't help wondering if animals are alot like humans when the end is near. It's well known that a person can "hold on" and by what seems like sheer will power live longer than expected. She is probably so happy with you and your animals that she wants to stay around as long as possible, just as you want her to.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Audrey and Cebe (Abby's mom).

Mary
Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 PM

As I type, Audrey is on my lap wrapped in a warm towel as I am applying cold compress to her chin. She seems content and comfortable for now.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:12 PM

Am so glad you are able to continue to spend time with her! We all need that last bit of goodbye! You are in my thoughts and lots of warm hugs your way!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:52 AM

Thinking of you and Audrey today. I hope you are getting the quality time with her that you should have. Let us know how you two are when you get a moment.
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:08 AM

Thinking of you Yunhee. Extra hugs your way

Louise
Old 09-21-2011, 09:39 AM

We saw the oncologist yesterday. She thinks Audrey can last a few more weeks.
She is still eating and wants to go outside. While it would not be too rash to put her to sleep now (she is in pain and uncomfortable obviously - and this is terminal), but she thinks I may regret doing it this weekend. The oncologist recently had to put her cat to sleep - in her case, her cat had always loved ice cream, and on the day of euthanasia, her cat just failed to show up for her ice cream and stayed in the bed all day for the first time. She says that on the day when Audrey stops begging to go outside and eating her food would be the day. As if to prove the oncologist's point, Audrey tried to escape to the yard all evening and even spent a better part of the night howling to go outside (along with her canine sister Amy - I am sure there were some foxes and coyotes in our yard, and both girls wanted to hunt these creatures).
I've upped her pain meds to 3x a day from 2x.
I am praying that I get as many relatively comfortable days with Audrey as possible.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMom View Post
I am praying that I get as many relatively comfortable days with Audrey as possible.
We hope so, too! Thanks for the update.

Mary
Old 09-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Founding Member

sounds like your vet is pretty wonderful.

I hope you get more days with her too. Fiesty girl!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 PM

oh, I agree. I hope you have many many days with her. Best, Cebe