Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 PM

Default Re: My cat Audrey has a mouth cancer

Cebe,
I hope your cat is OK.
In a way, I think it could be a blessing in disguise to lose two cats together. They've been together so long that I can't imagine that one of them would do OK without the other. I also think (selfishly) that it would make my grief process easier - I would grieve for these two at the same time instead of losing one and then losing the other in a few months. I feel horrible even typing this. I can't even cry anymore.
They are being good loving pets to their mommy even in their final moments.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:26 PM

Yunhee, in addition to feeling with our whole hearts how much we love our animals we also have to be practical in how we deal with them, and I totally get where you're coming from. I had my moments with Abby where I was just plain over feeling the pain of watching her suffer. Didn't make the end all the easy. But I've found also a small sense of relief with Abby's passing (neither of us are suffering as much) that I didn't feel when my elderly cat died earlier this summer, and I have to say I think my elderly cat's death prepared me well for Abby's. Plus, I had time to get used to the idea that Abby was going. I didn't have that for the old cat, except knowing that she was really old.

This summer was a white knuckle exercise in just breathing. In and out. And knowing that this too shall pass. It's cliche, but true. It will pass, you will get through it. Your animals have been blessed with you as their person and have lived LONG LONG lives because of that.

(And thanks for your concern about Inky. I guess he's ok. I think he's getting a lot of hairballs. And if it makes you feel better, he hasn't seemed to skip a beat after Abby's passing. He gets a lot more attention from me, and I'm sure that helps, but he's a cat and while I've seen some of my cats pine for lost friends, sometimes they also just roll with the punches).
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMom View Post
Cebe,
I hope your cat is OK.
In a way, I think it could be a blessing in disguise to lose two cats together. They've been together so long that I can't imagine that one of them would do OK without the other. I also think (selfishly) that it would make my grief process easier - I would grieve for these two at the same time instead of losing one and then losing the other in a few months. I feel horrible even typing this. I can't even cry anymore.
They are being good loving pets to their mommy even in their final moments.
Don't ever think you are selfish in any way! You have gone above and beyond with your babies! The heart only has so much it can take at any one time and you passed your limit. We all think those thoughts and they are natural when you've dealt with pain for so long. It IS a relief in many ways when they go...no one is suffering anymore and that is a good thing. Sad and horrible and we miss them terribly but it's hard on the heart, mind and soul to have an ill pet. Know you do everything you could and whatever you think does not mean you love them any less!

Been there and know those feelings. One of my cats had FLV and he would vomit so horribly and make such a mess at least once a day. And I felt guilty when I finally did put him down and was relieved not to have to clean it up anymore. I was relieved HE didn't have go thru that anymore. I still miss him every day and still have a place in my heart for him. But I know he's better and that makes it ok.

Big hugs and lots of love!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:13 AM

So, James' pancreatitis test came back resoundingly positive ("off the charts") apparently. His fructosamine came back normal, so this pancreatitis just set off diabetes.
He is drinking non-stop, so we think this is due to high blood glucose.
We are treating pancreatitis with force feeding, fluids, and antibiotics. We are also giving him buprenex for pain.
He has not eaten voluntarily since last Friday. He lost a pound. I gave him two small jars of Gerber Stage 1 Chicken last night and this morning (about 200 calories - what he needs).
We are to start a very low dosage of lantus - 1/2 unit 2x a day. Do a curve in a week.
The vet does not want to put James on steroids because of the high blood glucose, but we may try that as the last resort.
We will also do an ultrasound this week or early next week to see if there is cancer there.
If he does not eat voluntarily by this weekend, I think this may be it for him.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 AM

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:00 PM

Yunhee, my heart goes out to you! So many issues going on at the same time.

Love and hugs,

Mary
Old 09-27-2011, 12:48 PM

I'm so sorry Yunhee. I think you are doing the right thing monitoring his eating.

Hugs...
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMom View Post
Barb,
I have 2 20 yo cats, a 13 yo dog (Harry) and a 11 yo dog (Amy). If I ever have multiple pets again, I am going to widely space out this age thing. This is not fun.
I can so relate to what you are facing having all aging pets...my household too consists of all over the age of 10, the oldest being 17.

I agree, this is not a good feeling at all knowing all will pass within a short timeframe.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog
Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM

Thank you Eileen, Cebe, Sophie and Sydney's Mom and MaryLea.
James is now at the vet office getting his fluids, and my husband is supposed to learn to do it himself and then teach me.
At least, he has been getting supportive care since Friday (fluids, etc.). I just wish I caught this before it got this bad. I was supposed to take him for a monthly check up in August, but I got sidetracked by Audrey.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:43 PM

Yunhee,

You must keep your vet in business. It must just feel like overload.... I'm so sorry to hear of James now.

His symptoms are just like Abby's were in July. What if they gave intravenous till this passes, or do you think it is more than an 'attack', but I'm sure the ultrasound will show this.

Don't give up hope... we are all here for you.

Hugs,