Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sparky Love is an angel June 23, 2014...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sparky Love is an angel June 23, 2014...

Thanks Mel! I can't believe it has been a year either. I still grieve for him, but I know he's in such a wonderful place.

I think my very favorite memory of Sparky was in agility class. He loved agility and was REALLY good at it. Assuming he was getting good treats ;-) One time (being a headstrong terrier), he decided that I didn't actually know what I was doing, and that he would run his own course. The absolute funniest part was that he did a long sequence with me just standing there laughing, including jumping up onto the pause table, lying down, waiting a few seconds, getting back up, and continuing on. It was one of the funniest things ever, and truly showed his terrier stubbornness. The whole class was laughing. Even though I knew I shouldn't reward (or even acknowledge) that kind of behavior, I just couldn't help laughing and laughing. He was always a clown who enjoyed getting people to laugh.

Spirit (my sheltie puppy, named Spirit because she carries Sparky's spirit in her) has truly carried on Sparky's legacy in agility. She is lightning fast and so, so smart. She truly is a prodigy. She's doing things that no puppy her age should be able to do, and I know that it is Sparky's spirit showing her the way.

So even though his body has left us, his soul lives on in Spirit. Every time I fly in an airplane I get to check in with him, and see that he is running agility courses all day every day at the Bridge, and is patiently waiting until we are reunited. He was my heart dog, and there will never, ever be another Sparky Love. I miss him every single day, but I also know that every time there is a beautiful sunset, or of course a rainbow, it is Sparky sending me love and letting me know that he is happy.
    Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

I love that story about Sparky. what a character! I'm glad you have a new agility pup in your life Cara and I can't believe it has been a year
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

What a great story! I can just imagine the little clown!

I'll be thinking of you today!
        Mel
        Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Thinking of you. Love the Sparky memories. Happy to hear that Spirit continues to bring a smile to your face.
          Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Know how you're feeling, Cara, missing the little guy. It's a constant reminder of how wonderful and rich the relationship was.

We're all better for the time we got to spend caring for our furry diabetics. Taught us a lot, and the little ones know we were doing our best to help them in every way we could.
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

a special day to remember about the love you call sparky
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I can't believe it has been a year since Sparky went to the bridge. He was such a special guy and great that Spirit is a comfort for you and that you can continue to enjoy agility. He will always be a special part of your life. Thinking of you and big hugs to you!

Amy
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I love the story about agility class! I'm glad that you have Spirit. It sounds like she's been a great comfort to you.
                  Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Cara I am sorry for the loss of your baby. I must say I admire your outlook on the situation and hope the day I walk that path I can do it with your outlook and strength. I truly think from what I have learned and what I feel daily from the short while Deon has had diabetes, it brings you and your fur baby much closer than you would have ever been.The bond you already have is unimaginable, but caring for a diabetic pet gives you an appreciation like no other for that unconditional love your pet has for you and you have for your pet. Makes you appreciate so very much the time you have left how long or little that may be. Thinking of both of you today sending happy thoughts.

Comment

I want to thank everyone for remembering Sparky Love today, and taking a moment to post a message. I do miss my boy terribly, and have second guessed my decision to let him go for months, but in re-reading his thread I see that I made the right decision for him. Sometimes no matter how much we love them we can't heal them, and this was the only way he was going to get relief.

I'm so thankful that his story means something to people who never got to meet him and experience his sheer joy at life. I'm sure he would have wanted people to remember him with a smile and not with tears, and he would have wanted everyone to hold their baby close for a moment and be thankful for every moment they have together.

Now that time has passed, I think I am ready to begin working on the foundation I thought of a year ago - to raise awareness of canine diabetes. The foundation will be called Sparky's Love. I am still not sure exactly how I will go about it, but I am sure that he (or someone on this forum) will help me figure something out.

So any and all suggestions are welcome. I am looking forward to seeing what will grow out of this.
                      Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Working...
                      X