Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Angel Piper.... October 31, 2015

Beautiful portrait
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

What a wonderful keepsake. Beautiful Piper.
      Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Just checking in. I've been busy and haven't read much here lately. I hope everyone is doing well.

I took care of Rooney last week for Kim while she was on vacation. He's still doing pretty good. She's had to up him to 1 full unit of insulin. He is still having some spikes on occasion, so she's going to get him checked out at the vet. We both noticed him scratching his ears, though they didn't look infected.

Dakota's doing much better. He stays inside and sleeps most of the day, but he'll go outside by himself now. He's getting spoiled about eating though. I've started topping his breakfast with yogurt treats and his dinner with some Stella & Chewy's meal mixers, but he eats well that way. He had an ear infection last month, but is okay now. I need to remember to clean his ears! Piper used to do it, so I've never had to do it before.

I have been missing having a dog of my own more. I talked to my parents and they don't seem to have any problems with me getting an older dog. I'm going to start looking more seriously at rescues and shelters next month. Blossom is still at the Old Dog House. I decided to wait on meeting her until next month, when I'd be more ready to adopt. I've also looked at shelters and there are several older dogs that interest me. We'll see if they're still there when I'm looking...
        Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

thats really a good thought about adopting an older dog and your parents are in agreement .

seems like the bunch is doing well
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Good to hear from you Mandy. I'm sure the right match will be there when you are ready And that will be one lucky dog!
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I agreed to Housesit for my boss this month, so I have to put off adopting another dog for at least another two weeks now. I know I shouldn't be, but I have been looking, all last month and this month. I did a 5K at the end of February and decided to go check out the city animal control shelter since I wasn't too far away and it wasn't really out of the way on the way home. I met several dogs, but one stuck out and has stayed on my mind. She's about 9 years old, German Shepherd mix. I found out that she is Heartworm positive (but hadn't started treatments yet), and they were also going to check her for hip dysplasia since she had a limp when she came in. I took her out in the yard and she was independent, but would come up for pets. She was interested in the dogs in the other yard. She did know some commands and liked soft treats. She's still at the shelter. I have to go into the city tomorrow, and was thinking of stopping by again and talking to the staff to see if they have any updates on her medical conditions. I'm hoping it's just the heartworms... My guess is she'd probably still be there when I'm ready to adopt. This shelter does a "sleep over," which is like a short term foster, so you can try the dog in your home before officially adopting. I like that idea.

There is also a German Shepherd rescue that currently has a 5 yr old female for adoption. I like her from the pictures and descriptions, but I wish I could set up a meeting with their dogs without filling out an adoption application. Plus, there's a chance that dog won't be there when I'm ready to bring one home.

I'm kind of undecided though. I keep debating rescue vs. shelter. I feel like I get more history and accurate assessment of temperament from a rescue, but I know shelters try their best too. I'm also a little bit afraid of rescue's adoption applications. I've seen people rejected for stupid reasons, and I'm not sure what they'd think of my answers to some questions, and they require a home check and 2 letters of reference. The shelter has a much simpler adoption process. Either way, I know it's saving a dog, and it's probably silly to think this much about it, but it's what I do, lol.

So anyways, no new dog yet, but hopefully soon... Gotta get through my boss's sailing trip first...
              Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

all in good time mandy

when its time and your ready things will move forward i can understand your aprehnsion of the adoption process from the rescue kind of like applying for a job lots of anxiety . i think not getting to worked up about it either way is best . your a good person and proof is in the pudding on how you took care of piper have anyone read pipers thread and there would be no question on your dedication
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

You'll find the right one. Your heart's in the right place.

Rescue or shelter, ... you'll know you're providing one of these fantastic beings a great home and have removed a big uncertainty from his / her future.
                  Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Working...
                  X