Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Introducing Maggie

Maggie,
    Welcome aboard this K9 train. I love me a good terrier. What a story and what heart you have Amy.
    Thank you for sharing Maggies story.
    Jj
    Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

That is a wonderful story..... and Maggie is one lucky girl.

Barb
      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Teeth Cleaning Today- Ugh

Maggie is getting her teeth cleaned today. No big deal, right? Am I the only one who freaks out about this? She is 12 1/2 years old though - I hate her being put under. Her teeth are just terrible so it has to be done. Ugh. Long day.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I put Jenny's off for a year and half. But it went fine. hang in there! Judi
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

positive thoughts on the cleaning and keeping her safe

i think she will be fine her routine is stable so this is a good time to do it
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Oh, sending positive thoughts to you and Maggie. Might it help if you hung around to monitor her BGs? I think I have heard of folks not giving even a reduced dose of insulin on the day of to let them run higher.

After the dental you might want to do one of the new enzymatic products that is supposed to eat the stuff off the teeth. I think I have heard of other diabetics using Petzlife. Even though they will be clean after, little dog's seem to build up tartar so quickly.....and of course she is going to live many more years and that way this could be her last dental.

Let us know when she is back home.

Tara
              Tara in honor of Ruby.
              She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
              Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Sending positive thoughts, prayers, and best wishes for Maggie, and she will be home before you know it.

I use CET toothpaste for Abby... Never had a dental, I only brush once a week, perhaps twice.

Comment

Praying all goes well today! And she emerges with a beautiful pearly white smile!
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hope the cleaning went without a hitch!

Jake
                    13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                    At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

The cleaning went well - no bad teeth. The vet decided to use gas instead of putting her under. Yay! The only problem she had was her sugar was so low all day. She even ate a half can of dog food while she was there and was on an IV of dextrose. The vet was a little bothered but felt it was just stress. She seems ok tonite. I am gonna check out some of that spray for her teeth- my big concern with it was if it would affect blood sugar but if it works, it will be worth it.
                      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Glad she is home.

There are a lot of products out now to help with the teeth. If one doesn't look good you could look into others.

Tara
                        Tara in honor of Ruby.
                        She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                        Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Happy she is home safe and didn't lose any teeth in the process.
                          Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Good to hear Amy I used Petzlife gel for Ali's teeth. They do have a spray. If anything Ali's blood sugar sometimes dropped a bit...but tooth brushing wasn't her favorite activity in the world.
                            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Glad Maggie came through ok. I like the gas idea, instead of putting her under.

Maggie sure has a tendency to go low, but it seemed like they were well equipped to keep her safe.

Comment

Maggie has just really started these really low numbers. We just started our third vial of Novolin N from Humulin N. At first, I liked the Novolin because she seemed to not have any extreme highs or lows like Humulin seemed to cause but the last couple of weeks, she has been experiencing mostly lows. I am thinking I am going to back down a half unit and see where she is at.

My vet has encouraged me not to change insulin and feed more the past couple of months once we strated the Novolin. Because of her pancreatitis, she has always had her food split more evenly through the day and that has been good for her. But when he had her all day for her teeth, he told me he thought we could back down her insulin a little. I don't think he believed how low she was going until his meter captured it.

Comment

Working...
                                X