• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogie is now at 4 units of Levemir

Up to 4 units of Levemir as of 11/01 am

11/01 am 325
    11/01 pm 242

11/02 am 283

Still concerned he may have something else going on but well cross that bridge when we get to it... It seems his BG should be lower on 4 units of levemir but then again it has only been a full day and it usually takes 3 to 4 days for a really noticable change. We will do our curve on Tuesday as my other dog Cassie goes in to have the tumor removed from her leg on Thursday and I know Bogie will be somewhat out of his element with her gone so no curves for a few days after that.
    Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

• Re: Bogie - miniature schnauzer

When we went from 3 to 3.5, it took about 4 days for it to kick in and lower bg numbers so Tuesday would be good. I'm considering going back to 3.5 from 3.25 since our numbers are trending up again. Makes me wonder if their bodies respond to the new dose really well, then level out and then we have to bump up some more. I'll be anxious to see your curve. Sorry you are having to deal with another dog issue too! Hope it goes well.

Comment

• Re: Bogie is now at 4 units of Levemir

Originally posted by BogiesMom View Post
        Up to 4 units of Levemir as of 11/01 am

11/01 am 325
        11/01 pm 242

11/02 am 283

Still concerned he may have something else going on but well cross that bridge when we get to it... It seems his BG should be lower on 4 units of levemir but then again it has only been a full day and it usually takes 3 to 4 days for a really noticable change. We will do our curve on Tuesday as my other dog Cassie goes in to have the tumor removed from her leg on Thursday and I know Bogie will be somewhat out of his element with her gone so no curves for a few days after that.

Have to be honest and admit that I'm finding the use of levemir in schnauzers quite interesting. Just wondering what makes you concerned he may have something else going on?

I had that feeling many times with Decker. Wish I'd have followed my instincts much earlier than I did. Have you had blood work done recently - to check triglyceride and cholesterol levels? If they are elevated he may be prone to experiencing flair ups of chronic pancreatitis (of which you may not notice any symptoms other than elevated and/or erratic bg). High triglycerides, high cholesterol and pancreatitis may all individually and/or together cause insulin resistance. If flair ups are happening, it may explain why you see his bg show signs of lowering (no flair up) and then see them rise at a higher dosage (experiencing flair up).

Sending lots of encouragement your way! Holli
        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

It certainly is nerve racking!! I even hate the days that I have to raise his dose because I never know if it is going to be too much.
          I can drink to that!!!

Am keeping my fingers crossed for you that Bogie doesn't have anything else going on. Schnauzers are such sweethearts but they can have so many darned health problems. Hope your Cassie's surgery goes well and she heals rapidly.

Louise
          Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

Originally posted by LuvMyMunchie View Post
            I can drink to that!!!

Am keeping my fingers crossed for you that Bogie doesn't have anything else going on. Schnauzers are such sweethearts but they can have so many darned health problems. Hope your Cassie's surgery goes well and she heals rapidly.

Louise

Thank you Louise...
            They are sweethearts 110% but your right... Some type of health related issue one way or another

I'm so glad I can help Bogie he was and still is my care taker. I was injured 11 years ago and after we got Bogie he was always there with me. There were days I would not be feeling well and would fall asleep on the couch and when I would wake up I had a slew of toys on and around me he loves his toys and I guess he thought they would make me feel better and he was right they did
            Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Thank you Louise...
              I'm so glad I can help Bogie he was and still is my care taker. I was injured 11 years ago and after we got Bogie he was always there with me. There were days I would not be feeling well and would fall asleep on the couch and when I would wake up I had a slew of toys on and around me he loves his toys and I guess he thought they would make me feel better and he was right they did
              Awwwwwww....this makes me smile!

Louise
              Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

Awe Dawn, how sweet is that.
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

• Started new bottle of levemir today

I just started my new bottle of levemir this morning... I'll let you all know how our numbers are tonight. Wish us luck.

Comment

just started jesses last bottle of humulin today

hope bogie sees an improvement with the new bottle sometimes its the simplest things that makes a difference
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

How sweet

Louise

Comment

Thank you Louise...
                        They are sweethearts 110% but your right... Some type of health related issue one way or another

That is so awesome! He really loves you! Sharing his toys! Amazing what they will do..and how they think! Hugs!

Good luck with your other pup, Cassie....hope her surgery goes well!
                        Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

• Advise Please

Hi Guys,

Well, I am not having any luck with the increase in the levemir nor the new bottle.

Here are some am and pm numbers…

11/01 am 259 on 3.75Units previous night (Old bottle)
                          11/01 Gave 4.0 Units am
                          11/01 pm 242

11/02 am 283
                          11/02 pm 298

11/03 am 315
                          11/03 noon 262
                          11/03 pm 330

(Open new Levemir bottle)

11/04 am 259
                          11/04 pm 325

11/05 am 346 (Gave levemir out of old bottle just to see if there was a differance in numbers tonight)

I’m not sure what to do here?? No matter how much I keep raising the insulin his numbers really don’t change. I know what my vet is going to tell me… Raise the dose and he probably has Cushing’s.

I feel like I need to try something different… Maybe his diet? He is on W/D and boiled chicken could that be part of it he also gets a few frozen green beans here and there throughout the day.

I am going to talk to one of the mods on the Cushing forum today and ask her some questions but in the mean time shouldn’t his numbers come down with the increase of insulin. Everything I read said the diabetes needs to be somewhat controlled before any further testing can be carried out.

I’m just really confused!! I have a name of an IMS not far from me that I can go to if it comes to that but I had really hoped to get these numbers down before I had to go that route.

Bogie acts really healthy… He is just thin, I can’t get weight on him and he has a bit of a belly and his back legs have gotten thinner (he use to be a buff little guy) but other than that I would say he looks ok.

Any advice would be helpful. I had planned on doing a curve tomorrow but not sure if it would be worth it with the numbers I have been seeing.

Thanks again for your help. It is always appreciated.
                          Last edited by BogiesMom; 11-05-2012, 11:15 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

ok but where did he used to be? higher? then that means the insulin is working; he just may need more. If levemir is 4 times stronger than NPH then he has not hit the 1 unit for 1 pound test yet for true insulin resistance.

1/4 of 25 pounds would be 6 units. Hang in there Dawn, I don't have much knowledge but I have lots of sympathy. And you know the cushings drill. His cortisol could be high right now due to the diabetes and his other issues. If he doesn't have cushings symptoms, no need to test or treat.

hugs, Judi

ps. the WD usually helps them with regulation so I don't know if I'd switch if he is eating it
                            Last edited by Judi; 11-05-2012, 12:10 PM. Reason: got Dawn's name wrong.
                            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Hey There, I am not sure at what ratio insulin resistance is determined, but I would guess you have a ways to go.

I think it is possible that he just needs more insulin. The amount each dog gets is so dog dependent. For instance, my 17# dog gets less then 1/2 of what Craig's dog gets and I think Annie is only 2# more then Ruby.

So my approach would be to curve for informational purposes and increase. Now I am not sure on all the times with all the variables in the numbers below, but the nice thing is they are all pretty close together.

Keep your chin up.

Tara
                              Tara in honor of Ruby.
                              She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                              Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Hope your mind is set at ease after you have the conversation today. I agree with Judi. I think getting diabetes regulated would be #1 on the priority list right now. IMO with no Cushings symptoms I wouldn't be pursuing testing at this point (been there done that).

The Cushings Guru, Dr. Edward Feldman, would and does say no symptoms, don't treat. I know you're worried about Bogie and his health and I can certainly empathize. We want the best for our babies and it sounds like you're doing a very good job to me.

Louise

PS: If you think Bogie has a bit of a pot, go look at pictures of actual dogs who have Cushings and you'll see the difference.

Comment

Working...
                                X