Glucose curve has spikes...too high or normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Glucose curve has spikes...too high or normal

Thank you for your comments....glad you see a difference with the recipe, gives me more hope. I did not really understand insulin resistance, therefore at her given units, it does not seem like a resistance to insulin instead more of my food choice. The vet gave me a glucose meter ALPHATRAK 2 and her glucose numbers are slightly lower on it....let me tell you, I am sleeping better!

Comment

Update...after one week on the new food and giving 3.5 units twice a day, her glucose ranges between 300 (18mmol) and 200 (11mmmo) all day. There are no more big spikes. Does anyone have any advice on how to lower it more? Afraid to give her more to cause spikes like before...

Comment

that's what I did. make a change wait 7 days, do a full curve

without the previous spikes with the new food I go up the 1\2 unit to 4 units then test
        Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

half unit sounds good as mo suggested and hold for a week or up to 2 weeks unless you see low numbers

if that creates the instability in sugar again . what i have done with jesse is i split her dose at dinner time . now i am not sure if its the reason for better control but it appears not giving her one large dose but splitting it in 2 appears to help her

many times with slowly raising the dose by small amounts this gives the body time to accept a small dose adjustment but it may take that week or 2 to see it
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Great advice...I will continue on the same path and raise it 1/2 unit at dinner only, then do a curve next week...thank you for your advice...will keep you posted

Comment

Working...
            X