Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:59 PM

Default Re: ReliOn insulin

Why does everything that is a 'good' thing, like Wal Mart selling the insulin at a decent price, always have to change for the love of the almighty dollar???? I think its rough for those of us with pets that use this, but there are people that are dependent also that perhaps can't afford the increase in price. That is sad!! We will somehow continue to buy Shadow's medicine, but it is really a financial strain to think about it doubling in price

I will discuss the new branding with the vet though and see what he says.

It is always something to stress about
Old 09-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayneN View Post
Why does everything that is a 'good' thing, like Wal Mart selling the insulin at a decent price, always have to change for the love of the almighty dollar???? I think its rough for those of us with pets that use this, but there are people that are dependent also that perhaps can't afford the increase in price. That is sad!! We will somehow continue to buy Shadow's medicine, but it is really a financial strain to think about it doubling in price

Not so fast! The price might not have gone up, don't think anyone has said the ReliOn Novolin/N went up in price. Wait and see.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:21 PM

Jayne, that was Patty talking about if someone was in a pinch they could get it for $50 at Walgreens. I think that was because some walmarts were just plain out of stock.
We haven't heard what the new price will be at walmart or even if there will be a change.

Fingers crossed.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayneN View Post

Walmart used to sell the Novolin brand, then switched to Humulin and guess now back to Novolin. Someone posted on another site she just bought Novolin at Walmart for $17.88. She is in Texas. She also said that her diabetic poodle has been fine with the brand switch.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Not so fast! The price might not have gone up, don't think anyone has said the ReliOn Novolin/N went up in price. Wait and see.
I know what you are saying...I think what I was trying to say was if I need to stick with the Humulin after speaking to my vet and need to purchase it other then at Wal Mart, I will be spending more..
Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 PM

I just phoned my local Walmart. They have made the switch to Novolin and said the price is a little under $25. I didn't press for the EXACT cost, probably would have to ring it up on the cash register to give the price. I'm happy for now.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 PM

Our Walmart in Pa. is selling the Novolin for $24.88. Same price as Humulin. The pharmacist said it is almost identical. There are 3 molecules that are different. Whatever that means. Going to call our vet tomorrow to see what she thinks.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:27 PM

This was a post I made back in Peggy and Carolyn's thread awhile back.

Quote:
The primary ingredients are the same:

HUMULIN NPH and HUMULIN 30/70
Each vial or cartridge will contain human insulin (recombinant DNA origin) and the following excipients:
m-cresol distilled 1.6 mg/mL,
glycerol,
phenol 0.65 mg/mL,
protamine sulphate,
dibasic sodium phosphate,
zinc oxide,
water for injections.
Hydrochloric acid and/or sodium hydroxide may have been used during manufacture.
http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Profs/Dat...Humulininj.htm

NOVO NORDISK PROTAPHANEŽ Isophane (NPH) insulin suspension injection 100 IU/ml

Excipients
Glycerol
Disodium phosphate dihydrate
Metacresol
Phenol
Zinc chloride
Protamine sulphate
Sodium hydroxide
Hydrochloric acid
Water for injections
http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Profs/Dat...taphaneinj.htm

My understanding is that the difference lies in the fact that some of the ingredients are from different sources and the base solutions are made using different processes.
http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29717

Humulin insulin is made from a non disease producing strain of E.coli bacteria that's been genetically altered, and I believe Novolin is derived from yeast that's a special form of genetically engineered wheat.
http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Category:R-DNA/GE/GM
Old 09-05-2012, 03:16 PM

I just went to Walmart to purchase insulin for Violet Sept 3rd 2012) and they said it now cost $70 I was paying $24 since 2010 they said that Lily was providing it any more. Does anyone know what is going on. It is the same product how can this be? I am stressed to the max about the cost jump.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonellen View Post
I just went to Walmart to purchase insulin for Violet Sept 3rd 2012) and they said it now cost $70 I was paying $24 since 2010 they said that Lily was providing it any more. Does anyone know what is going on. It is the same product how can this be? I am stressed to the max about the cost jump.
The folks at the Walmart pharmacy should have told you that their contract with Lilly for Humulin had expired, but there is now a contract with Novo Nordisk for Novolin insulins. Novolin-N is pretty much the same as Humulin-N. some stores might not have either insulin in stock, but should have Novolin-N soon. Ask for ReliOn Novolin. We think the price is the same $24.88 that they were selling the Humulin for.