Gretel is now our angel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mini Schnauzer Gretel

Oh Carolyn! Such wonderful news about Gretel! THANKS for posting!

Kwali, Kumbi and Camellia all send licks and wags, and I send hugs!

Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:16:54 (PDT)
    http://www.coherentdog.org/
    CarolW

Comment

Hello Everyone!

I know I've been mostly absent for quite a while, although I do get on once in awhile to see what's been happening with everyone. It's been a very busy summer.

I have a question today. I'm wondering if any of you have found it necessary to use weed killer anywhere in your yard or garden, and if you know of one which is safe to use around pets.

We have an area inside our fenced in back yard where a tree had been cut down last fall, and which is now sprouting weeds faster than you can blink an eye. Some of them have roots apparently all the way to China.

We recently hired someone to do our yard work and he suggested using weed killer in that area. He told me that you must keep any animals away from the area for 24 hrs. after it's been sprayed. Of course, I won't let him do it until I know exactly what he plans on using and check it out fully for safety. Just wondered if any of you have had this experience and what you've done or used. I would think something that is a natural product and not a chemical would be best, at least for pets, maybe some of you might know of something like that which really works well.

Thanks!
      Carolyn
      Carolyn & Gretel - 12 yr. old mini-schnauzer - diag. Jan 2010 - lost her courageous battle with multiple issues on Feb. 17, 2014. So sadly missed by her family.

Comment

Hi Carolyn,

I use white vinegar, straight from the bottle, don't mix with water - totally organic and safe to use around pets and children. The smell is enough to drive Ladybug (and me!) away.

For really stubborn weeds, I mix salt with the vinegar - 1 tablespoon table salt to 1 cup white vinegar. You can also add about 1 teaspoon dish detergent per cup of vinegar - helps the solution stick to the weeds. However, don't spray this around any plants or grass that you don't want to kill.

Linda

Comment

I have also heard of Gin.... But this would be expensive weed killer, unless you have some in the liquor closet that you want to get rid of. Or perhaps if you drink some while killing the weeds, you will not see them any longer

But seriously, I have heard of gin as a weed killer.
          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
            Or perhaps if you drink some while killing the weeds, you will not see them any longer
            Or you just don't care any more!

Mary
            Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
            Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
            Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
            Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Gee, the gin idea sounds like fun (the drinking it part ). Just kidding - I'm not a drinker, so I don't have any of it to spray on the weeds, so I think I'll give the white vinegar a try.

Thanks to all who responded!

Carolyn
              Carolyn & Gretel - 12 yr. old mini-schnauzer - diag. Jan 2010 - lost her courageous battle with multiple issues on Feb. 17, 2014. So sadly missed by her family.

Comment

I've used Round up in my yard despite my dog's presence. I don't let her eat the plants that have been sprayed but I've never had a problem with it with regard to the dog. However, im curious about this vinegar idea. There are some greens she like to eat and they concern me. I'd like to kill them but not with round up because they are in her area so I will try that.

My point is I sprayed round up in my yard with my dog around but never on plants she might eat. I did avoid her being in contact with it as well as I could.
                Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Oh, Cebe; I don't like the Round Up idea; that's terrible stuff, and it can go farther than you anticipate, too, as in runoff and the like. Some of the stories i've heard, too, are that plants regenerate after being Rounded Up. (Not sure about that.)

But Gin sounds great. A bit expensive, but better on plants than down my throat. (Don't like it, which is just as well.)

White vinegar, on the other hand, is something I've heard of using, too, and adding table salt sounds good, as does dish detergent - wonder if that would be Dawn, which seems to have all kinds of oddball powers!

Carolyn - I really miss you when you're not posting. Kwali and Kumbi, at the Bridge, remember Gretel with great fondness, but tell her she has many years to go before she's allowed to join them.

Camellia waggles her Magic Tail - errr, Wand - for you and Gretel.
                  Love, hugs, licks and wags from all our critters and me,
                  Mon, 29 Aug 2011 22:43:46 (PDT)
                  CarolW

Comment

Well, to each his own. I have jungle like vines down here and although I'm happy to try vinegar, I have a feeling I will be awoken in the middle of the night by the raucous laughter of the vines as they spread through my yard.
                    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Carol, Thank you so much for missing me! Actually, although I really have had an extremely busy summer, I was having problems logging in, so because of that I couldn't post anything. I finally contacted Natalie and she helped to get me straightened out.

Gretel is overall doing very well. Blood sugar has been stable. She had her annual check up last week, sugar and all other bloodwork was fine. I did forget to take a urine sample in - as you may remember she's had bladder stone issues. I'll have to get that sample in soon, and keep my fingers crossed that no crystals are found.

She has developed cataracts, they've been noticeable for quite a while now, but to date I haven't noticed a decrease in her vision, although I'm sure there must be some. She still catches a toy thrown from 10-12 feet away with no problem, and never misses seeing a stray piece of dogfood that fell out of her dish. Unfortunately, we have no veterinary opthalmalogists anywhere close. The closest one to us is at Cornell University, which is in another state - about a 3-4 hr. drive.

And Carol, I'm so glad you're still here on the forum too - dispensing you're wonderful advice and encouragement to the rest of us. I always enjoy reading about Camellia - sounds like you're doing a wonderful job with her (as, of course, you did with Kwali and Kumbi). She's a lucky dog!

Well, again, thanks to all who chimed in regarding my weed killer question. I have definitely decided not to use any chemical. Just don't want to take the chance that something will harm Gretel - she's got enough to deal with without something that could have been avoided.

The best to all of you,
                      Carolyn

Comment

|Hey, delighted Gretel is doing so well! Hope no crystals are found when you get that checked out.

Camellia is a handful, but very much worth it; I should update her thread. Will do so before too long.

Kwali and Kumbi are ALWAYS with me, hovering in their holes in my heart, and talking to me. Being here on the forum helps keep them present and talking to me! Camellia is getting to know the forum crew - Natalie, Patty, Peggy, and the forum members, old and new! I tell ya, Carolyn, I've NEVER seen a forum as good as this one. Nor as useful.

Really, I'm tickled pink with Gretel!

I like your decision about the chemicals. Vinegar wouldn't hurt a dog, and just might do the job - or - the concoction somebody suggested, adding the salt and the dish detergent. Should be safe for dogs, I'd think.

Love, hugs, licks and wags, from all our crew.
                        Tue, 30 Aug 2011 20:37:17 (PDT)
                        CarolW

Comment

Please don't use round up. I'm paranoid about these type of chemicals given forbin and TJ's cancers. I had heard of vinegar, but I lived in an apartment in a home that was owned by 2 scots who were avid gardners. They had beautiful flowers! They used gin to keep their poinsetta's in the basement over the summer. they came back every year at christmas and were gorgeous LOL
                          Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

I'm really confused. The Scots drank gin in the basement while admiring the poinsettias? . That's just like a Scot!

Comment

Today I told the fellow who mows our grass that I didn't want him to spray any chemicals on the weeds. Now that I think about it, I can't believe I even briefly considered it, although I would have researched it thoroughly first. I'm sure most chemical companies will tell you it won't harm your animals after a certain period of time, but hey, they're in it to sell their products. We're the ones who are responsible for our pets.

Anyway, I feel better about it now. So now the worst that could happen to Gretel with regard to this issue is that she may eventually get lost in a tangle of weeds . But I am going to try the vinegar. I'll let you know how well it did or didn't work.

Carolyn

Comment

I did a little googling on his issue of Round-Up and weedkilling and came across this "ehow" page, which seems to have some good advice and instructions for alternatives to round up.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4863528_orga...ed-killer.html

Comment

Working...
                                X