Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photos

Originally posted by Monsters Momma View Post
    Tell me, how is she adapting to being able to see? I really wonder what goes through their minds!?
    Hi Mel,

I too would like to know what she is thinking! There is a noticeable difference in her behavior, especially when we are out for walks. English Setters require a lot of exercise and while she was blind we could only do short walks before she wanted to turn around and head home. Things are way different now. Just yesterday we were walking in the woods, when she spotted a line of deer about 50 yards away. She stopped, sat down and watched each one cross the trail.

These last eight months since her being diagnosed with diabetes have been very difficult and it's been amazing to see how well she has adapted to each phase of her adventure.

For five months she was insulin resistant along with high BG levels, high cholesterol, and electrolytes out of control. During this period she was so sick that we thought that we would lose her. In December I took her to an IMS for a second opinion and she determined that Lily was hypothyroid, put her on soloxine tablets and within a week her BG level was under control! As it turns out, the hypothyroidism had a more adverse effect on her body than the diabetes. Then she went blind from cataracts and after a couple of weeks learned to maneuver around the house and back yard on her own.

Once her thyroid issues were under control, she then had cataract surgery in February and then the battery of eye meds. She is very good about receiving the eye drops... They must be soothing.

I call it Lily's Big Adventure and have fingers and paws crossed that it continues to improve.

Mike and Lily
    Last edited by MikeMurphy; 03-12-2014, 12:42 PM.
    Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
    Diabetes: Aug 2013
    Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
    Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Cataract Surgery Follow-up Visit

Lily went to the eye vet for her second follow-up visit today. This is three weeks after cataract surgery. Everything is going well and she is now on only two different eye drops:

Dexacidin 4 times a day
      Flurbiprofen 2 times a day

She goes back for another visit in one month.

Here she is soaking up the sun today after yesterday's blizzard, which dumped another foot of snow on us. This time around it was enhanced by lake effect snow off of Lake Ontario.

Comment

Re: Lily - My English Setter - Diabetis and Hypothyroidism

Great update for Lily!

Originally posted by MikeMurphy View Post
        For five months she was insulin resistant along with high BG levels, high cholesterol, and electrolytes out of control. During this period she was so sick that we thought that we would lose her. In December I took her to an IMS for a second opinion and she determined that Lily was hypothyroid, put her on soloxine tablets and within a week her BG level was under control! As it turns out, the hypothyroidism had a more adverse effect on her body than the diabetes.
        Can't even describe how these words hit home for me. Lily is so very lucky you took her for that second opinion. Hope the rest of her journey stays positive from here on out.

And here is to hoping that Spring is coming soon!
        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Thanks Holli. We see remarkable similarities between Decker's and Lily's stories.
          Last edited by MikeMurphy; 03-13-2014, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Lily just got back from being groomed. This was her first grooming since last August and loosing most of her hair from the hypothyroid issues.

Here she is checking things out ...

Also... For those considering cataract surgery, here's a link to where we had Lily's surgery done. It talks about what to expect during the process ...

http://www.animaleyecareofwny.com/re...cataracts.html

Mike and Lily

Comment

Beautiful Lily! Her fur looks so soft and velvety. Looks like she is wondering if the snow is ever going to go away for good this year...
              Last edited by momofdecker; 03-18-2014, 02:24 PM.
              Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

She is such a beauty - she makes me want a big dog!
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Such a beautiful girl!
                  Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Lily and Cowboy

Introducing Lily's non-diabetic brother, Cowboy, owned by our son. Cowboy is an orange and white (orange belton) English Setter, while Lily is a black and white (blue belton).

Cowboy was diagnosed with hypothyroidism two weeks ago. His symptoms were not as severe as Lily's in that they just involved hair loss on his back and sides. He is currently on thyroid meds (soloxine) twice a day. The vet checked him out for diabetes and all is well there.

Cowboy ... You can see the hair loss on his back ...

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Another gorgeous dog
                      Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

So gorgeous!
                        Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Those two just take my breath away! Lovely dogs!
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Was Lily's hypothyroidism hereditary then? So glad her brother's was discovered before he got too bad and that he is negative for diabetes.

Decker tested negative for hereditary hypothyroidism though I think if their levels are low enough when it's discovered that result might not be 100% accurate. I still believe his hypothyroidism was the indirect cause of his diabetes. Friends of ours have one of Decker's sisters and she is fine.

Love all the pictures - they are both lovely to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post
                              Was Lily's hypothyroidism hereditary then? So glad her brother's was discovered before he got too bad and that he is negative for diabetes.
                              I'm pretty sure it is, but I'll have to ask her IMS.

This is a quote from http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/hea...shsetters.html ...

"According to the Michigan State University Thyroid Database, English Setters have THE HIGHEST rate of hypothyroidism of 140 breeds. Up to 40% of English Setters are affected. The OFA Thyroid Database ranks English Setters 1st of 60 breeds (their figures says that up to 50% of the breed is affected. Low thyroid levels are very treatable, but do require lifelong medication."
                              Last edited by MikeMurphy; 03-24-2014, 08:32 AM.

Comment

AlphaTrak2 vs. Free Style Lite Strips

I thought that I may have given Lily a fur shot Tuesday night, so I decided to do a curve on Wednesday and compare readings using the AlphaTrak2 and Free Style Lite strips, using my AlphaTrak2 meter set to Code 5. Sure enough, she had very high readings to start off on Wednesday. I gave her some peanut butter after the low reading at 1:30 PM.

Lily's curves normally run from the low 200s to low 100s and then back up to the 200s. I'm kind of surprised that the fur shot caused such a dramatic effect the next day.

Today she is back to normal with readings, every two hours starting at 6:30 AM, of 173, 147, 135 and 116 using the the Free Style Lite strips.

The FSL strips ran a little bit lower than the AT2 strips, but overall followed the same curve. This gives me some proof that the FSLs can be used with a certain degree of confidence.

Here's the results ...

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X