Rusty's Journey Sugarversary March 10!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rusty's Journey

Rusty had a vet appointment yesterday and it has been almost eight months now that he has been diagnosed with diabetes and glad to say that he is still doing really well.
    Just wanted to share my good news with everyone....
    Rusty 28lb male mixed breed. 7 1/2 units Humulin N 2x a day,Purina EN Fiber Balance, string beans and 2 cubes of chicken breast as a treat after injection. Afternoon snack of his kibble,string beans and a cube of chicken breast. AlphaTrak 2. Diagnosed with diabetes March 2015.

Comment

always nice to hear a positive rusty update
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Great news👍
        Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

It has been almost 9 months since Rusty was diagnosed with diabetes and all is going well.
          It took some work and many changes to our life style but the results are what counts...and I couldn't be happier with his. Love him too much not to put him first.
          Thank you everyone for your support when things were tough and Rusty thanks you also.
          Rusty 28lb male mixed breed. 7 1/2 units Humulin N 2x a day,Purina EN Fiber Balance, string beans and 2 cubes of chicken breast as a treat after injection. Afternoon snack of his kibble,string beans and a cube of chicken breast. AlphaTrak 2. Diagnosed with diabetes March 2015.

Comment

great news that rusty is settling into a long term routine
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Update on Rusty. He is still holding his own and seems to be doing really well.
              He is beginning to have vision issues,but still seems to get around well.
              Will be a year in March since diagnosed....can't believe it has been that long.

Comment

time flies when your having fun and rusty seems like he still is and in the end thats all that matters

nice update

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                  time flies when your having fun and rusty seems like he still is and in the end thats all that matters

nice update
                  He is such a happy and sweet boy.

Comment

Great update - glad Rusty has adjusted well. Time sure flies!
                    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

• Re: Rusty's Journey

Hello everyone just a quick question has anyone experienced a change in blood sugar readings with the change of temperature. It seems to be that Rusty's readings are so much better when it is cool outside compared to when it is warmer.
                      Readings are still within range. I was just curious.

Comment

i think jesses numbers are a bit more stable in the summer with her drinking more water after her rabbit runs but i do believe these things can have an affect

i guess if the numbers change back in the summer you may have your answer

jesse is more comfortable in the cooler months with the coat she wears 24 hours a day

what ever the reason its always nice to see a better trend

Comment

We find Eddie needs a bit less insulin in the warmer months - not sure if it is temperature related or just because we tend to be outside with him a lot more in the summer so he gets more exercise. It doesn't exactly make his numbers more stable though - just a bit different.
                          Antonia
                          Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

We recently went through a cold snap here and I had to up Snicker's insulin. She's just recently been diagnosed so who knows the real reason for the change but she spends over an hour a day when its zero degrees out, I can't help but think it affects her.

I did read an article that claimed that more dogs are diagnosed with diabetes in the winter months and for the state of Wisconsin January is the peak month for newly diagnosed dogs.
                            Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info.

Comment

March 10th 2016 will be one year that Rusty was diagnosed with diabetes and he really is doing well...never thought we would get to this point when first diagnosed.
                                I am always looking at everyone's post and have learned so much from all of you.
                                Thank you so much for being here.
                                I have a wonderful vet and with her support and the support of all of you this journey has become less stressful for Rusty and me.
                                Rusty will be going for a complete physical on March 15th.

Comment

Working...
                                X