Alpha Trak 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha Trak 2

I just purchased the Alpha Trak 2 and set the meter on 36 which is for dogs on the side of the strip container. Also, no problem getting a sample from her lip, as it read with a tiny bit of blood. Her reading at 2:30 pm yesterday afternoon was 155 bg, which seems good to me. I also have the free style lite kit which I had trouble with as it seemed to need more of a blood sample. If I use the strips from that kit what number do I put in as on the side of the strip container it has a bunch of numbers, not 2 digits. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Karen
    Lola - Maltese, 10 yrs old, 10 lbs. Diabetes Dx. April 2012. 4 units Novoline twice a day. Ketorlatic eye drops twice a day for life, mostly blind...

Re: Alpha Trak 2

I tried using 6 and that didn't work, so I tried 35. I'll check to make sure. That one worked for me. I tested a FL strip against an AT strip using the same drop of blood, and the numbers were only 4 points different. (I'm sure they can vary more than that.)

Comment

My current procedure is to use the AlphaTrak control solution that probably came with your AlphaTrak meter.

1. Get / record a reading using the control solution and true AlphaTrak2 test strip.

2. Ignore any numbers on the FreeStyle Lite container and test using the AlphaTrak control solution. If the reading is within a few points of step 1, you are great - just use that code.

3. If the comparisons are more than just a few numbers apart, I'd try recoding the meter to 5, 6, 7 and see how these numbers compare to the result in step 1.

Remember, you might have to do this with each new box of FreeStyle Lite test strips. Let me / us know how this works for you

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I used solution on my alpha strip tested with alpha meter, came out 186 and then I used free style strip with alpha meter came out 163, my setting is on 36 which came with the alpha strips, so how low should I set the free style meter to what number??? Thank you for the help though....
        Lola - Maltese, 10 yrs old, 10 lbs. Diabetes Dx. April 2012. 4 units Novoline twice a day. Ketorlatic eye drops twice a day for life, mostly blind...

Comment

Just took a reading with alpha at 2:30 pm and it was 134 bg, she didn't eat all of her breakfast this morning so cut her 4 units down to 3 units. Last night and yesterday morning she ate everything and gave her the normal dose of 4 units and at 2:30 yesterday afternoon her bg was 155.

Comment

Originally posted by kareno View Post
            I used solution on my alpha strip tested with alpha meter, came out 186 and then I used free style strip with alpha meter came out 163, my setting is on 36 which came with the alpha strips, so how low should I set the free style meter to what number??? Thank you for the help though....
            As I said, I'd probably test again using the FreeStyle Lite strips at code 5, 6 and 7 (with AlphaTrak control solution) and see if any of these get closer to your AlphaTrak strip reading.

Don't forget to return the meter to 36 if you use true AlphaTrak strips

Craig
            Last edited by CraigM; 04-02-2014, 11:40 AM.
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I did Lola's bg at 3:30 pm today and it was high 315, yesterday at 2:30 pm it was 134 but yesterday morning I only gave her 3 units instead of 4 because she didn't eat all her breafast at dinner yesterday she ate all so I gave her 4 units. This morning she didn't eat all her breakfast so I gave her 3 units today instead of 4. Should I be worried or just do the same test tom at the same time to see if it goes down, help....

Comment

i think lolas ok if she ate about the same amount on 3 units last time she did not eat her whole meal .

if you understand when the nadir (lowest blood sugar in the day ) is you can test at that time if you are worried .

what you would like is to get to a point giving an amount of insulin for what is consumed and it sounds like your getting there with that . testing gives us that understanding of what we can and cant do .
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                  i think lolas ok if she ate about the same amount on 3 units last time she did not eat her whole meal .

if you understand when the nadir (lowest blood sugar in the day ) is you can test at that time if you are worried .

what you would like is to get to a point giving an amount of insulin for what is consumed and it sounds like your getting there with that . testing gives us that understanding of what we can and cant do .
                  Thank you, I did her testing stretch 8 hours after her breakfast an insulin. My vet always did it anywhere from 7 hours after food and insulin. What would be the lowest point before she eats and insulin?

Comment

I'd say, from my very limited experiences and knowledge, nadir usually appears 6 to 8 hours after NPH insulin injection with meal. Ideally about 8 hours after. But each dog is different, most medical guidelines will accept nadir appearing 6 to 10 hours after injection.

My MJ's Nadir used to be at 8 hours after injection on a low fiber, high carb, easy digest diet. After switching to low carb diet, Nadir now is about 6 hours after injection. Night time is different though.

Comment

Working...
                    X