Munchie–11 yr. old MiniSchnauzer - Earned his wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Munchie–11 yr. old MiniSchnauzer–Just Diagnosed

If the previous diet was maintaining his weight, I think I'd try to match the calories. And you do seem to have room to increase insulin to bring those numbers down a bit.
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Have been away awhile, but just checking in to see how Munchie is doing. At least he has a great appetite. That is always the first hurdle. Probably enjoying his new diet.

Ack... who likes all that white rice anyway?

Barb
      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Hi Louise,
        I was also thinking of Munchie... Hope he is doing ok
        Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Thanks for checking in on Munchie. Wish I could say all is going well but it is not. Munch started turning his nose up at the Dick Van Patten food but ate it today with some shredded tilapia in water added. My non-picky eater has now become picky but from reading on the forum it seems pretty common. He was not thriving on the rice diet and it took a huge amount of calories just to maintain his weight but only 5 days and way too much food on the new diet and he gained a little.

He definitely has room for more insulin and know I'm repeating myself - it just seems odd to me that the more insulin he's given the worse his numbers get. Maybe there's something about the regulation process I don't understand. He drinks water non-stop now. He's up and around some if his bg is in the 400's but that's pretty much a thing of the past. With the 8 units NPH his numbers decrease slightly and then start upwards again in about 4 hrs. I thought perhaps my overfeeding of the new diet was causing the elevated bg but wrong again as I have reduced the amount. I honestly don't know what's wrong nor do I know what to do. Vet had me change him from 4 meals down to 3 and again down to 2 but his numbers remained lousey no matter what. I could wear the "patience hat" if I was seeing a tiny amount of improvement but things are going the other way for Munch. Maybe he has another issue going on that's not obvious. Don't know, just doing a lot of guessing.

Today is curve day so I'll post his current curve this evening along with his other curves for Nov. and maybe somebody will see something obvious jump out and have a suggestion. I imagine his insulin will be increased tomorrow evening after vet looks at curve. Sure hope his bg will come down a bit instead of getting higher.

Louise
          Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

oh Louise, you and Munchie need a break. I hope some of the veterans are around after you post your curves with some good suggestions.

Jenny was in the 600-500 range for 2 or 3 months while we slowly increased and it drove me crazy. I don't know how you deal with all of his issues. hugs, Judi
            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Originally posted by Judi View Post
              Jenny was in the 600-500 range for 2 or 3 months while we slowly increased and it drove me crazy. I don't know how you deal with all of his issues. hugs, Judi
              Thanks for the support, Judi. Arrrgh...he's only a month into this and I'm already a basket case. 2 or 3 months and I'll need one of those nice white jackets and the special van to take me away.

Hugs back at ya' Judi. I know you have your hands full with Jenny also.

Louise
              Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

Louise, I'm sorry to read the food change has not had the positive outcome you'd hoped for. From my experience with Decker, high lipids and chronic pancreatitis can wreak havoc on bg levels. You may find that aggressive insulin treatment is what Munchie will need - not careless - but perhaps a three days inbetween, curve, then increase the dose. You may also find that the insulin he is on may not be best suited to break through the resistance he may be experiencing.

Folks here have taught me that you have to be aggressive with medical staff when it comes to this disease. Our vet did not offer an insulin change, in fact, she denied our first request for one. She agreed to test Decker for concurrent diseases but stated she felt he simply needed more insulin. Had we not asked for the tests he would have continued to struggle. Now with his neck lesion, I am again having to be upfront and ask for meds to help him. So wish it was easier as I'm not an aggressive person by nature. Sure am gaining a lot of experience though - lol!

Thinking of you and Munchie! Holli
                Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Hi Louise, I haven't been able to keep up lately, but it sounds like you are as confused as I am and you have been right there.
                  It almost seems like you need the clean slate approach, or maybe you have already started this. Hopefully he has been at the same amount of the same food and same dose of insulin for at least 3 days. Then because he has been running so high for so long I would be fairly aggressive/faster with increases.

I think you test at home right? With numbers like you have been having I would feel comfortable curving every 3 days and then evaluate for an increase. Then as you got closer to ideal numbers you could slow down and let things settle in more.

Again i haven't been able to keep up lately, so I hope you don't take offense if I have missed details that would make this approach wrong, just how I would appraoch it.

Tara
                  Tara in honor of Ruby.
                  She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                  Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Hi Louise, have you considered Levemir for Munchie? My mini schnauzer was on 16 units of NPH 2 x day and bg's were in the 500 range still. Once we switched to Levemir, it was amazing the difference and how quickly we got the numbers down on much less dose (it is potent). But this breed seems to do well on it from what I can tell on the forum. At least a consideration.

Comment

HAVING PROBLEMS....

I'm watching Munchie closely as I may have to take him to ER tonight if things get worse and definitely back to his vet tomorrow. He has vomited white mucus several times and attempted to eat grass so may be having a mild episode of pancreatitis again. Although he is still drinking water he is refusing to eat anything at all. I haven't given him any insulin yet. His regular dose is 8 units so I will give him 1/4 dose of 2 units after I check his bg again. The last bg measurement of his curve at 8:26 p.m. was 519. This is getting scary.

Louise

Comment

Louise,
                        I wish I could help you and Munchie... I know how scary it is when our fur baby's are sick... You feel so helpless. Munchie is in my prayers tonight as are you... Please keep us updated.
                        Hugs,
                        Dawn and Bogie
                        Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Sorry that Munchie is feeling sick and not eating.

This must be such a worry for you, sorry I have no words of wisdom, but sending you both healing thoughts and hoping today brings better news.

Have you been able to check his urine for Ketones with a number up in the 500s?
                          Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

I am sorry that Munchie is sick. I hope he is better today. Aren't they a worry!
                            Antonia
                            Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

hope Munchie is feeling better today. I have never had to deal with pancreatitis (knock wood). I feel for you.

519 is down from where he has been so I'lll look at that # as hopeful. hugs, Judi
                              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I hope Munchie is ok, Louise.

I do totally relate to your frustration. Decker went from 15u of Humulin N up to 37u, from mid-December 2011 to May 2012. His bg ran 300-600 the entire time. I could never wrap my mind around how 37u of insulin could show the same results 15u of insulin did. Especially in knowing that at one time 20u and 40u of insulin overdosed him. Most of his increases were 1u at a time. We'd wait a week, run a curve, increase, see a bit of hope for the first three days, then his bg would rise again, as if nothing ever happened. Sometimes it would be higher with an increased dose. There were many times I thought I was losing my mind. Because of his overdosing it took me a long time to stop thinking we may have overshot his maintenance dose and I worried that we were overdosing him again.

Ultimately, it was the undiagnosed hypothyroidism. But that is what caused his high lipids and the high lipids caused his chronic pancreatitis. Decker's pancreatitis was present with no symptoms. Appetite was good, temp was normal, bm's were normal. No vomiting. Possibly some tummy discomfort. I truly belive we would not have regulated him on the NPH. His curve patterns were none existent - looked like a rollercoaster ride gone wrong. Changing to the levmeir was a life saver for Decker. Gave him some consistency and made it easier for us to be more aggressive with increasing his dose, despite the potency.

Perhaps if you are able to get Munchie's bg lowered it would help lower his triglycerides. And if the lipids are lowered it may help ease the pancreatitis. Maybe just wishful thinking for you - as in times of frustration it's easy to grab onto any hope that may be out there. Hoping all is well. Holli
                                Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Working...
                                X