Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:33 PM

Default Cj

Hi we are new to this so I will just give details of cj my beautiful Westie

Cj Westie

Born 13 jan 2004

Dx. May 2012
10 iu can insulin twice a day every 12 hours
Food royal canin gastro intes low fat 150g per day plus a little cooked chicken breast and a few eukanuba low fat biscuits
Vet is still doing the blood tests

We have had problems regulating cj but it seems to be improving now. He also has very itchy skin and before he was diag I used to give him cortisone . My vet had to find another option.
He is now on 50mg of ciclosporin once a day and it really works.

I am going to get my own blood sugar tester but am not sure which is the best. I am so glad I found this web site it has really helped me understand diabetes and to help CJ as much as I can.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Cj

Well done Anne Marie for setting up his tread , and hello again to CJ.

Do you know what CJ weight is? and do you know any of his blood glucose results from the vets. Pippa too is on canninsuin and really so far doing well on it. It does take time to get them regulated so dont worry too much, but I do think home blood testing is key if possible. the lovely people on here use a variety of different testing machines, often for humans. I use a one touch ultra and buy the test strips from EBAY. There is an aminal validated machine the alphatrak, but its expensive. Craig has lots of knowledge about different machines and Im sure some of the more experienced members will be along shortly to advise further.

Really warm welcome to you and the georgeous CJ.

Did I understand that you are from Ireland living in South Africa?... Thats a long way from home if so !

Big hugs, Jen and Pippa. x
Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:50 PM

Hi! Welcome to you and Cj! I noticed you in another thread and am glad you started your own!

I adore Westies...my first dog was a Westie...only had him a year and a half til I allowed my best friends to adopt him...long story but I couldn't provide a good home for him at the time. I still get to see him all the time and I still adore my little man!

Anyhow! Itchy skin! Lots of us know all about itchy dogs! Seems like we've cornered the market on that! Hank has seasonal allergies that we are currently trying to control with chlor tabs since we can't use the magical prednisone that used to work so beautifully til it caused his diabetes! He seems to be doing ok.

I had discussed using the cyclosporine for Hank with my vet and tried it for a bit but it was late fall and Hank doesn't need help in the winter so we stopped it. It's such a BIG drug that I am nervous about using it again. I had used it with my cat very successfully for several years but her allergies have subsided so we don't use it any longer. My only caution with that drug is to make sure you are aware of all the side effects ...read the paper that comes with it and keep a close eye on Cj.

Most of us seem to use the OneTouchUltra to do our blood testing. You can usually get one for a reasonable price on Amazon. Your test strips can also be gotten on Amazon or on Ebay for about half the cost of the regular store. Lancets can be gotten just about anywhere for a good price. There are a lot of videos both on the site and on you tube that you can watch to get a good idea of what to do when testing. We usually suggest doing dry runs for a bit before hand to get you and the dog used to the process. Most dogs put up with it very well.

Welcome again!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:34 AM

Hi Shellie and Hank

Thanks for replying I am so delighted that I joined this site. I am learning so much.
I will check on side effects of the drug - there was no instructions in the packet so will talk to my vet today.

I watched some of the videos for testing blood and once I get the machine I will let you know what CJ readings are.

Thanks again for your tips and for your welcome!

Anne-Marie and CJ
Old 07-16-2012, 06:44 AM

Welcome.
If using a human meter I would recommend the One touch ultra 2. I bought mine new off ebay for $20. The walmart brand Relion also has a lower cost one called Confirm, those strips will be the least expensive. I find the One Touch is just a bit more user friendly and I have yet to waste a strip. I am going to exchange my Relion as I may have gotten a bad one. Readings are good but the strips doesn't slide in easily which has me worried that it may be damaging the strips/affecting the readings.

I do have the alpha track to compare these two meters to and consistently they both read about 20 points lower when in the 100-300 range. The differences are not as great when in the low numbers.

I have also used the True Track and found it was not consistent. Sometimes reading higher, sometimes lower then the Alpha Track.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Just wanted to add my welcome to you and CJ
Old 07-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Welcome to the forum!
Gigi - 11.5 year old Jack Russell/Beagle mix - dx 11/11, hypothyroid dx 8/23/12 | Insulin: Novolin N | Frequency: 2x's per day | Dosage: 4-5 units, depends on the day | Blood Glucose Meter: Alpha Trak 2 | Typical BG Readings: 100-200| Regulation: Doing great! | Celebrating 11 years together, 3.5 of those as diabetic |
Old 07-19-2012, 02:34 PM

Smile Re: Cj

Thank you all for your warm welcome and advice

I have just completed my first curve today for my baby cj. He was so good and did not mind the blood tests at all - he hates the injection!

Thanks to Jenny I changed vets yesterday it's a long story which I will fill you in on but not tonight and also give results of cjs curve. Cj is fast asleep beside me so I will say goodnight and again I can't express how grateful I am for all the support I have received and the knowledge I have gained from this site.

Anne Marie and cj
X
Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:09 PM

Hello and welcome to you Anne Marie and CJ.....this is a great place (as you are finding out) for support and information. Lots of us will be checking in and watching your progress. There are a bunch of "pros" on here who are great at thinking thru issues and helping you understand diabetes. If it weren't for this site I simply wouldn't have made it past the first month and now we are approaching our 9th month of management. I'm still learning but will chime in when there is something I can offer.

Right now I'll offer a big hug to you and CJ....
Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Congrats on your first curve Anne Marie