Precious Buster is an angel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precious Buster is an angel...

My dog buster just got diagnosed with steriod induced diabetes in February. His previous vet kept giving him steriod for IBD which he didnt have and now has diabetes. Anyway, I found a wonderful vet to help my buster out. She got him off the steriods and also told us he had diabetes. He had gotten very sick one weekend and that is why I took him there. His sugar was in the high 400's. Anyway, we had him at the vet all that week. She took care of him and we started on the insulin. He made it up to 21. 2X times a day. His last visit his sugar was down to 72 and she was happy with that. She had said she didnt want to see him for 2 months unless he was not feeling right. She wanted him on the same 21 cc and didnt want to change it. I asked if I should do something at home and she said no there was no need. I have spoken to some people not many who have told me I need to monitor his blood sugar at home also. So we were giving him his 21 CC 2X a day and friday he got sick in the middle of the nite. He was having diabetic seizures I was told. I called someone who has some knowledge and told us to give him Caro syrup. Within 10 minutes he was OK. We took him to the vet on sat. morning and his sugar was 80. She lowered his ccs to 18. I asked her about checking him at home and she said again not necessary but you can buy the machine where you prick him in the ear. She couldnt really suggest one that was best. She said if you go to the forum you can see what other people say and what works for them. The pee pee strips she isnt into. Anyway, 2 people of have spoken to did those. I bought them and I do not know what I am doing. I bought the diastix and the keto. I didnt know which one. I am not sure how to read them or anything. I am right now so confused I really dont know which is better for him and me. Can anyone maybe suggest to me what they think is better. The machine to prick their ears or the pee pee strips. Also, can you please give me some insight on it. For instance on the strips there is colors and numbers. The numbers are like 100 200 300. It really doesnt give me an accurate count. I do not know what is normal, when it is high or low. I know I am asking many questions and probably I am all over the map here but I am really at a loss at what to do.
    Thanks
    Last edited by debbie; 05-03-2009, 06:01 PM.

Re: I need some help please

Welcome!

Testing blood for glucose is always more accurate than testing urine. When you test urine for glucose, your readings can vary depending on how long the urine has stayed in the bladder. Also, what you see in a glucose urine test result can be two hours or more "behind" what the measurement of glucose is in the blood at present.

There are two kind of urine test sticks--ketostix, which test only for urine ketones, and their color chart looks like this:

Ketostix--tests only for urine ketones

And there's ketodiastix, which test for both urine glucose and urine ketones. Their color chart looks like this:

Ketodiastix--tests for both urine glucose and urine ketones.

You should be seeing negative on either of these for ketones and either negative or 100 on the section of the ketodiastix that tests for urine glucose.

When you test urine for glucose, the other problem is that it can't identify a low blood glucose reading. Not until the blood glucose is at or over 180 mg/dl (called the renal threshold), does the glucose spill over so you can read it on the test strips. Testing blood will let you know whether Buster is just fine or too low; if Buster's running high, it will tell you just how high his bg's are.

There's only one meter that tests for both glucose and ketones--that's the Precision Xtra. You need to buy 1 set of strips to test for glucose and another set to test for ketones. The ketone testing strips for this meter are very expensive; last time we priced them they were about $50 for a package of 10.

Most people here do test with a meter but I don't think we have anyone here using the ear for their testing. While ears seem to work well for testing cats' blood, people seem to do better with dogs using other areas. We have information showing where you can test and how to do it here:

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showpost...82&postcount=6

http://www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html

Movies on how to test blood at the two links above.

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showpost...03&postcount=8

This has links to information about other spots for blood glucose testing.

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showpost...7&postcount=17

The link above is an ACVIM abstract comparing meters. They found the AlphaTrak and the OneTouch Ultra to be the most accurate.

My personal advice would be for you to start out with a meter for people, like the OneTouch Ultra, because when you start testing, you will go through quite a few test strips until you get the "hang" of it. The AlphaTrak meter is a lot more expensive than a human one is and their test strips are also priced higher than those for the "people" meters.

It's good that you do use the ketodiastix to have some idea whether Buster has ketones or not (can be an emergency if they are bad) and a general idea of what his blood glucose is. If you do decide to get a meter and start testing Buster's blood, you'll want to keep either some of those ketodiastix or some ketostix to test for ketones if his bg's are high.

We have people here who are using many different brands of meters with success; I know they'll be happy to tell you about the one they use!

Kathy

Comment

Thank you very much for your answer. You know I will have to read this a million times to let it sink in. I guess I will get a meter. What is confusioning me is getting the other strips too. You say it is good that you do use the ketodiastix to have some idea whether Buster has ketones or not (can be an emergency if they are bad) and a general idea of what his blood glucose is. If you do decide to get a meter and start testing Buster's blood, you'll want to keep either some of those ketodiastix or some ketostix to test for ketones if his bg's are high. Now please bear with me. What is making is the difference between the blood glucose and ketone. We never had diabetes in my family and I really and totally stupid with this. I am decided to get the machine so that is good. Now after that I am kind of lost. I thought the machine would do everything. Please have patients with me.

Comment

Debbie,

The good news is that you don't need to use a strip to check the urine for ketones when you're doing meter testing unless you see Buster's bg's are high. Ketones are a result of having high blood glucose or hyperglycemia:

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperglycemia

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Ketones

We all normally use the glucose our food creates as the source of our body's energy, but we can't use it like that without insulin, whether our bodies produce enough of it themselves or if we need to give it by injection. When there's diabetes and no insulin or not enough of it, the body can't use the glucose the food makes as its "fuel", so it starts using other things, like body fat.

Ketones: When there's not enough insulin, the body begins to break down fat cells, which produce fatty acids. These fatty acids are passed through the kidneys into the urine--we know them as ketones.

The ketones if they're present when the bg's are high are the real emergency because they can produce some serious, life-threatening changes to the body if not treated promptly. The glucose is the amount of sugar in the blood. You can have high blood glucose and not have any ketones, but you still need to get the blood glucose under control because that's what can cause ketones and other problems if you don't.

All of us started out where you are today--we needed to learn what to do about diabetes because our dogs were diagnosed with it. Ask any questions you like--chances are there's someone here who has an answer for them.

Kathy

Comment

Thank you again. I think I need to learn one thing at a time. First I am going to get the meter. In the mean time I do have the strips you showed me. Should I test his urine tomorrow moring and see what it says. What do you think it should say that I wil be save Also, which one should I use. the ketoskix or the ketodiastik
          Thank you

Comment

Debbie,

Try testing in the morning but try not to test the first urine when Buster goes, because that's where you can get a false reading--from the urine that's been in the bladder overnight.

Originally posted by Fishslayer View Post
            I see you mentioned that you are testing Kibbi's first pee in the morning with the Ketodiastix.

This can give you a high reading. The urine collects glucose that washes out of the blood when BG is over 180. The first pee represents urine that's been collecting glucose for several hours. I always test after she's had her morning pee.

When she gets regulated her urinations will be less frequent so you'll have to be on your toes.

Lucy was still getting urine readings in 500-1000 range when her BG's were in the 200s to 300's.

Even though we home test her BG I still use the Ketodiastix to watch for Ketones.

Rick
            Use the ketodiastix because they test for both glucose and urine; if you don't open the ketostix, they'll be fine until the date of the package. You can save them for when you're doing blood testing and want to check Buster's ketones.

We can set you up with a 3 times a day urine testing program until you learn how to test blood if you like:

http://www.vetsulin.com/vet/Monitoring_Urine.aspx

"Have pet owner test urine three times a day: before the first meal (test 1), before the second meal (test 2), and late in the evening (test 3)."

You're taking things a step at a time--that's the smart way, and you will get there!

Kathy

Comment

I tested buster this morning. I sent him out for pee pee and I let him go for a couple of seconds and then I got some. I used the diastix. the color is the negative. I counted to 30. I know the color for negative and 100 is similar but I think it was negative. This is the first morning and my dog didnt know what was up because he likes to eat before he goes out. So I threw him totally off with this and it was a rough start. So is this color bad. Now what do I do?

Comment

Hi Debbie

Welcome! It means his BGs are 100 or less. You need to watch him to make sure he isn't too low. I hope you fed him and I would test again. It's harder to tell with the sticks vs. a meter. Ketones negative is great! That means the diabetes isn't affecting his kidneys. If he's acting normally, things should be fine. How much does he weigh? That will be important for the folks here to help you.

72 is too low in my opinion. I'd prefer to be above 100 so you don't have to worry so much about those lows that you've already seen the affects of. I would definately get a monitor. It's peace of mind believe me.

Please let us know about your pup, how much he weighs and what he eats. There are alot of experts here to help you out!!
                Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by debbie View Post
                  I tested buster this morning. I sent him out for pee pee and I let him go for a couple of seconds and then I got some. I used the diastix. the color is the negative. I counted to 30. I know the color for negative and 100 is similar but I think it was negative. This is the first morning and my dog didnt know what was up because he likes to eat before he goes out. So I threw him totally off with this and it was a rough start. So is this color bad. Now what do I do?
                  Hi Debbie and Buster,
                  Just dropped in to say welcome, dont worry it will get easier it is the same for everyone at the beginning, you will get plenty of support from the experts here.
                  Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Hi Debbie,

Welcome to you and Buster. You've come to the right place for help. So many caring people and tons of info.

I know how scary all of this is. We all were there at one time. With the right insulin and diet Buster will do just fine. Happy to hear that the ketones are negative - that's a good sign. Have you checked him recently? Glad to hear that you are going to get a bg monitor - it really does give you peace of mind. I use to check from the ear. My little girl would never let me do her lip and I could never get enough blood from the tail. I used the one touch ultra. Sometimes I had to poke her twice to get a good bead of blood. I never used the clicker - just the lancet. I would first put a warm wash cloth on her ear and then use the lancet. I would always tell her what a good girl she was and give her a treat and lots of hugs when I was finished.

Good luck with Buster. Hugs to you and him.
                    Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Hi Debbie!

Welcome to the forum. We can certainly help you sort this out and we are very very patient! Besides, you are doing just fine!

Please tell us more about Buster:

Breed:

Weight:

Type of insulin (Vetsulin/Caninsulin or NPH most likely):

Diet:

From all you have said, I don't think you will need to worry much about ketones. Buster's main problem is that his blood sugar was going too low. So I'm very very glad the vet finally reduced his insulin.

My first recommendation for a meter is a OneTouch Ultra. Unless your dog is very small, in which case I'd try a Freestyle first.

Then we have video and picture tutorials of where you can test Buster, as the ear is usually not the first choice.

It is what vets use but it's not what most of us testing at home use.

So take a look at www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html.

I used the inside upper lip with Chris - that's a good spot on all sizes of dogs. Probably the next most popular spot is on the back at the base of the tail.

Usually with the lip you can use a lancing device. The best I've personally seen is the Accucheck Softclix and I recommend that you buy this one if you want to use a "clicker" to get the blood sample regardless of which meter you buy.

It you use the back at the base of the tail, you usually will have to do the lancing by hand.

So take a look at the video and picture examples and let us know more about Buster.

Home BG (blood glucose) testing is the only way to know if his blood sugar is too low so definitely needed for Buster's safety. Hypoglycemia, low blood sugar, can be fatal or cause brain damage. So you want to stay away from that.

Natalie

Comment

Buster is a Labrador Retriever
                        Weight: is 77- 80
                        Type of Insulin: Vetsulin right now at 18 CC 2 times a day
                        Diet: Hills Prescription Diet w/d

Comment

I am confused again. Dont they have 1 thing I can buy to test Buster. At first I thought Onetouch ultra but then as I read down you mentioned Accucheck Softclix. Dont they both do the same thing. What I want is something can take care of everything like all at once. He wont want me sticking him with this and that and also giving him his insulin. I still cannot get use to that.

Comment

There is the meter itself and its test strips. That's where I recommend the OneTouch Ultra, especially with Buster as he's a big dog.

http://www.lifescan.com/products/met...MFRZAKB2IIWTT1

Then you need to draw a little drop of blood to be used in the meter. You lance the skin... maybe somewhere along the way you have had your blood tested with just the poke of a small lance.

All the meters come with one of these lancing devices but many of them are rough and very noisy. Which is why I prefer the Accucheck Softclix lancing device over the one that comes with the OneTouch meter.
                            http://www.hocks.com/Merchant5/merch...t_Code=A419010

Much as I LOVED the OneTouch Ultra meter, I couldn't say the same for the lancing device that came with it.

Hocks, by the way, www.hocks.com, is a good place to buy the lancing device.

I don't know Buster but I know that 99% of the dogs I've been acquainted with were not the least bit bothered by the injections or the blood testing. If you watch the video of Chris at www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html, you will see that he looks bored stiff and not the least bit stressed. Most dogs don't mind it at all. There are almost no nerve endings in the inside lip (guess that's why they don't mind grabbing each other there!) so it is not painful. Chris was tested a minimum of three times a day every day and did great!

One day at a time Debbie... this is the worst part, when it's new. I was a wreck at first and then after a while handling Chris' injections and tests was so dull that brushing my teeth was more traumatic. It all gets better with time.

Natalie

Comment

Thank you very much. I ordered one touch and will probably get the other one too. I spoke to my vet today and told her about the diastrix and that the strip I did in the am was negative and the one I did at nite was too. She was happy but she wants me to call her on thursday because she might want to lower busters insulin again. She told me to keep a log. I hope I am doing this right.
                              Now with the one touch meter do I have to do it everyday. Does everyone do it everyday or a couple times a week?

Comment

Working...
                              X