The Wee Dude Alfie earned his wings 23rd June, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Diggydog

WEE DUDE'S PARTY!!! WOOT WOOT!! Please post pictures!

Happy birthday dear, dear Alfie!!!!
    Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Happy Birthday, Alfie!!!
      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

for the Alfie

We hope there are many more to follow. KUDOS to you, Allison, for all you do for Alfie and the many other furry ones you have helped!
        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Happy Birthday to the little dude Alfie

Kudos to you Allison for all that you have done for the boy

Louise

Comment

Happy Birthday to Alfie!
            With wishes for many more precious, beautiful, moments ahead
            Audrey & Bazzle
            Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Happy Birthday SuperDog!!

Comment

Allison,

I am just so excited that Alfie is celebrating another birthday... enjoy his day, and sending lots of kisses across the pond.

Barb
                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

So sorry this is belated, but I hope the Wee Dude loved his Batman costume!! I'm anxious to see pics!! Hope he had a wonderful birthday!!
                  Mel and Vinny!
                  Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

This was one thread that I had feared to read after my months away...and here my little Alfie is having a BIRTHDAY! Wow! I am so very happy and delighted to hear this news! Happy Birthday little guy! Lots of love and kisses from Hank and I for your celebration! Hugs!!!!!
                    Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Originally posted by Shellie View Post
                      This was one thread that I had feared to read after my months away...and here my little Alfie is having a BIRTHDAY! Wow! I am so very happy and delighted to hear this news! Happy Birthday little guy! Lots of love and kisses from Hank and I for your celebration! Hugs!!!!!

Alfie continue to amaze everyone and is doing pretty well just now.
                      The steroids have stripped his coat so he needs a wee jumper everyday to keep warm as he has a lot of bald patches.
                      He is now totally famous and a his wee story was published in the May edition of Your Dog magazine. The fame has totally gone to his head and he is such a diva now!
                      We r rapidly approaching his 6 year sugarversay
                      He didn't cope all that well with the last short term foster I had. She was extremely dominant and would pee on him when he was sleeping. Thankfully she was only with me for 4 days but he was most upset all the time she was here. I was asked to foster a puppy not long after but decided against it as he would never be happy with that.
                      All the girls are doing well now but the did have a nasty case of heamorrhagic gastroenteritis recently which was completely horrific and I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy!
                      I have a few copies of the magazine Alfie is in if anyone would like me to post a copy I can if u pm me ur address.

Will be back in the next few days to do a proper update on all my gang.

Hugs
                      Allison & the ever growing gang x
                      Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

I thought the wee dude was already famous! LOL At least around these parts anyhow! Love our little guys in jumpers so that's all good! Especially a 'wee' one! I think we need to revive that word, 'wee', here in the states! It's a great one!

What was the gist of the article? Just look at our fabulous Alfie? That is just so cool!

Six years is SUCH a goal! I hope we get to say that around here!

Probably best not to do another foster that pees on the wee dude! lol

Lots of hugs and puppy kisses to you and our famous wee dude! Go Alfie!!!!
                        Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Wee Dude update

I can't believe the wee dude is still around to be doing all these updates on.
                          The last time I posted about him I was really struggling with his quality of life and going to have "the talk" with my vet about it as I felt that we were rapidly approaching time to let Alfie go.
                          It turned out that my own vet was on holiday for 3 weeks and rather than talk to a vet that didn't know Alfie all that well I decided to wait till my own vet was back.
                          Call it fate or whatever you all believe in but the change in Alfie in less than 3 weeks was crazy. He was struggling with everything. He would lie in bed and just pee himself and had lost all interest in everything except food.
                          He is now back to walking 6 + miles a day and is living life to its fullest.

We had a long term guest staying at the hotel who Alfie totally adored. Something about this guy just really made Alfie light up. Its so strange that something about this guy just gave Alfie his fight back. Alfie used to lie outside his room waiting on him coming back after his work and he would go crazy everytime he heard his voice. The guy was welsh and I wonder if there is something from Alfie's past before I had him that made the connection to him so strong?

Alfie will be 6 years diabetic next month. Seems like just yesterday he was diagnosed.

Ever since Alfie started on prednisone his blood sugar has gone from not bad to off the charts crazy.
                          Nothing has made any difference and at the time given Alfie's dire prognosis it didn't make any sense to change his insulin ( for the 100th time!!!)
                          He has been loosing a lot of weight recently which given his bg hasn't been much below 400 is not overly surprising. I think we have hit the point where NPH is just not a good fit for him and the pred and the only way forward is to change his insulin.

Need to have a talk with my vet about it but we are likely to switch him back to Levemir with a fast acting along with it.
                          When he started on NPH he was only on 2-3 units but since the pred he is now on 9 units so the switch back to Levemir might not be so bad this time round and hopefully not the tiny wee amounts I was using the last time. I think at one point he was on 0.25 units which was a nightmare.

Will prob run some blood work on him to c where we are with all that before we switch but he is happy and doing better than he has in months.
                          Maybe the super hero costumes I bought him really do have super powers

The mini schnauzer girls are all doing well. Schnapps is 11 now and Skye will be 10 soon. Little puppy Phoebe is 2 and had puppies of her own.
                          Don't trust any who tells you a litter of puppies will clam your girl down.
                          Little Phoebe is more of a nutter now than she was before the babies but she is still awesome and really fun to be around. She had been great at getting some life into my older girls as well.

I still foster for Mini Schnauzer rescue - Alfie does not do well with young pups as fosters we have discovered but he is still a ladies man and cuddles with the girls we foster. He is not as keen on the males I have fostered but he tolerates them well.

Me - I am sooo busy with work. Its crazy. The hotel is running at 95% + occupancy week in week out since dropping my days down to 3 a week I am back up to 6 days a week for the time being. Its hard but at least all the gang are with me everyday. Hopefully once I find a suitable assistant manager I can cut my days back but apparently I am not easy to work for

I still check in to see how everyone is doing and miss being more part of the group but life has a way of taking you where you need to be so I guess right now I am need more in other places.

Allison & the gang
                          Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

WE LOVE ALFIE <3

(and love hearing updates on the rest of your babies)

How wonderful they can all be with you during your work!
                            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Fantastic update, Allison. Quite pleased to see Alfie's got his zest for life back.

I'm sure it's due in no small part to your efforts to provide great care for your good boy! Give him a couple rubs for me.
                              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

amazing . he is incredible it just shows a dog can do very well and not have numbers that we associate that would be ideal . a great example for others .

sounds like a good idea to go back to a fast acting insulin maybe able to supplement it with nph before switching to levemir . just a thought

great update . busy busy busy
                                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
                                X