X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woo Hoo

We had a "136" today!!!
    Happy, Happy Joy Dance
    Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

• Re: Bogie - miniature schnauzer

136 thats my favorite sugar number just a real nice range to be in

congrats great job from both of you
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Yay! Congrats!

Jake
        13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
        At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Very nice
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

• Re: Woo Hoo

Originally posted by BogiesMom View Post
            We had a "136" today!!!
            Happy, Happy Joy Dance
            Alright Bogie - way to go

Louise
            Munchie, 11 yr. old Mini-Schnauzer, 23.2 lbs., diabetes 10/24/12. 8 units Novolin N 2xdaily.

Comment

• Re: Woo Hoo

Originally posted by BogiesMom View Post
              We had a "136" today!!!
              Happy, Happy Joy Dance
              Way to go Bogie, remember what you did and keep doing it!!

Comment

• Curve ??

Hi Guys,
                Once you get to your desired dose or what looks good to you.. How often should you do a full 12 hour curve? Not including partial curves.
                Thanks
                Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

I had been doing what I call a partial mini curve, testing every 3 hours, every 6-8 weeks. Not counting the fasting test that I do prior to each meal, and the occasional mid afternoon test just for fun.

Since switching back to Novolin on 11-1, I've been doing my mini / partial curve nearly every day because I'm still tweaking the dosage.
                  Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                    I had been doing what I call a partial mini curve, testing every 3 hours, every 6-8 weeks. Not counting the fasting test that I do prior to each meal, and the occasional mid afternoon test just for fun.

Since switching back to Novolin on 11-1, I've been doing my mini / partial curve nearly every day because I'm still tweaking the dosage.
                    Thank you for answering me Craig... That gives me a good idea

Comment

• Questions about Vit E, Tofu and Dealing with Added Exercise

Hi,

Couple questions?? I hope this makes sense

*I think I may have found a trend to Bogie's higher fasting BG numbers in the morning and was wondering if anyone else may have experienced this with Vit E...

Prior to the Vit E Bogie's fasting numbers in the am were generally not too bad... Low to Mid 200's so I started giving Bogie Vit E 100IU at night, the following morning his number was ok but then the morning after that the numbers started to climb into the low to mid 300's I continued to give him the Vit E for 5 to 6 days and the fasting BG# remained mid 300's.

Last night I stopped the Vit E and this morning his fasting BG# was down to 277. I know I will have to watch this for a couple of days to see if this trend actually continues... Hopefully it will!! He is getting NS Eye drops everyother day but the BG numbers were up one day and down the next there was never really a consistant trend with the drops but with the Vit E it seemed to be a more of a steady trend.

I know every dog is different and I found I had the same issue in the past when I tried Vit E with him but never continued it more than a couple of days.

Is Vit E a type of oil??

Now that his numbers are doing pretty well with a nader in the 130's during the day and fasting pm BG 170 to 200 all I need to do is get that fasting am number down.

*Has anyone used tofu for added calories?? I want to add some calories to Bogies food as the W/D has so much fiber in it and I really don't want to increase the W/D... He could stand to gain a little more weight and the GI in the tofu seems to be pretty low. Any thoughts on this??

*My Mom is coming on Friday to visit for a month and she is bringing her 2 year old mini schnauzer with her and he and Bogie have always played almost non stop in the past... Now that Bogie is diabetic I know I will have to keep a closer eye on his numbers when he is here... If they do start to drop a little what is the first thing I should try?? Lower his insulin slightly or give him a noon snack (i.e. dog biscuit etc.)

Thanks
                      Last edited by BogiesMom; 11-28-2012, 10:12 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Decker gets vit. E. Recently increased from 400mg to 600mg. He gets it with his morning meal. Decker's evening fasting tends to come in lower than his morning fasting so we've not noticed the vit. E having any impact. Of course every dog is different. Worth watching for a few days to see if Bogie does show a trend to increase with it and decrease without it.
                        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

I have noticed a difference with Vit E. I no longer give it to Abby, but try to give her E in an Egg, instead.

I found that when I would give Vit E to Abby, her BG levels would drop quickly. So, what would occur, is that she would not have 'enough' insulin to go the distance, and would raise alot towards the end of her 12 hr. Once I stopped the Vit E, I would not consistently get this drop.

Check Bogie about 1-2 hours after, and see if he drops quite a bit, and this may give you your answer.

Barb
                          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
                            I have noticed a difference with Vit E. I no longer give it to Abby, but try to give her E in an Egg, instead. Barb
                            Thanks Barb, How much egg do you give Abby and is it just the white?

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post
                            Decker gets vit. E. Recently increased from 400mg to 600mg. He gets it with his morning meal. Decker's evening fasting tends to come in lower than his morning fasting so we've not noticed the vit. E having any impact. Of course every dog is different. Worth watching for a few days to see if Bogie does show a trend to increase with it and decrease without it.
                            Thank you, I am keeping a log on my computer with my alphatrak program so I will post the results in about a week.

Comment

Seems for every article that says "X" is a good supplement, another article will advise us to avoid "X"!

This article says vitamin E is beneficial:
                              http://www.livestrong.com/article/49...e-blood-sugar/

I think I'd agree it might be better to get these vitamins from normal foods. I haven't researched the level of vit E in eggs.
                              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

There is no doubt that I think that Vitamin E is good, but I believe the ones that come from the pill perhaps may be a little too potent for our little ones.

Perhaps in larger dogs, it may not be a bad supplement.

Every dog is different theory... but what I found in Abby, in fact I believe in her thread I had mentioned it is that I had noticed that when I gave her Vitamin E, her BG levels would drop. But I think with that drop, she would raise higher than she normally would. For us, I really wanted some level numbers, without any outside factors.

I give Abby 1/2 hardboiled egg with each meal --yokes included. I started include them because of the protein. It seemed to help her blood sugar overall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_(food)

Barb
                                Last edited by Abby's Mom; 11-28-2012, 12:40 PM.
                                Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Working...
                                X