• Re: Cj

6am 15.6 --------282 fed and 5.5
    8:15--------------2nd meal
    9.30 7.5 ---------135 2.5 hrs out, 147point drop
    12 noon 3.9 ------70 snack
    1.10 12.3 --------222
    6pm 21.6 --------390 fed and 5.5
    7:45---------------3rd meal
    Just looking at what happens in the morning, it seems like he could actually use some more of his meal to be something carby and readily digestible since his blood sugar continues to drop even after a second meal in the morning.

Is it possible for you to spread out his meals?

We used to give our dog food and insulin every 6 hours, which actually isn't as awful of a schedule as it sounds. Won't work if you work out of the home 8-10 hours a day though.

In Chris' case, he was fed at 4am, 10am, 4pm, and 10pm. You could do the same sort of thing, just not giving insulin for the two intervening meals. Or he could have a smaller dose of insulin, one with each meal, allowing them to overlap a bit.

Even if you could do every six hours, it might be helpful to spread out his additional meals longer if you could do that. So maybe 6am, 10am, 6pm, and 10pm.

Because it seems like he has a lot of insulin activity in the middle of the day and could use some food to go with it.

Natalie

Comment

Thanks Natalie
      Yes I could do that spread out the food so feed him after his walk in the morning at 10am and also do a 10pm feed. I will try that and see how it helps. The problem is that he does not always go low in the middle of the day it varies. He is really all over the place. I will try the longer gap in between feeds starting this evening and see how he does. I can test him to see how he is doing after say 21/2 hrs after first feed and shot.
      will let you know how it works. Thanks I am getting a bit desperate .
      Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Good luck Anne Marie with adjusting the food times. I know how hard it can be.

Tara
        Tara in honor of Ruby.
        She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
        Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
          Just looking at what happens in the morning, it seems like he could actually use some more of his meal to be something carby and readily digestible since his blood sugar continues to drop even after a second meal in the morning.
          Cj starts to come down after hour 3 . If I don't give him the food before his walk which is usually at hour 3 then he crashes down as he always comes down after his walk.
          He gets broccoli and cabbage steamed and sometimes spinach instead of cabbage which is steamed as well.
          Anne-Marie,
          I'm sorry to have been absent after trying to help earlier, been busy here. I agree with adding more carb to carry him through. You could try increasing the millet.

Or, while normally we tell people to avoid carrots, Cj could use a glucose boost early on that won't affect him later in the day. Adding a baby carrot to his steamed veggies could help keep him from dropping so sharply early on.

I'm afraid if you feed any later than hour 3 without adjusting food, you're going to see a larger drop in bg. He does seem to come back up before 2nd injection so it also may drive him up further later.

Are my thoughts clear as mud? I do hope that made sense.
          Patty
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hope new feedings help. Thank you, Farrwf, for explaining conversions.
            Westie diagnoesd 10/12. Diagnosed 7/12 with Lymes. 4 unit of Humulin in morning. 3 with evening meal. As of now home cooked meals and also Standard Process supplements and Chinese herbs.

Comment

Hoping the new longer gaps between meals help Cj too. I have been following your posts but have no experience to offer any bright ideas, I just wish CJ would get some more weight on for you. Good that hes not vomiting though and pleased to hear how much he likes his home cooked meals ( despite all the extra work for you). Have said it before but hes a really lucky boy to have you looking after him so well Anne Marie.

Big hugs, Jen xxxx
              Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Thanks Patty

Yes I will try the carrot it might help. Today I fed him later - 3.5 hrs after ist feed he was 7.2 after walk and before feed. I did give him a little extra millet only 1 teaspoon extra.

Spinach is one of the veggies suggested in the diet but he does not like spinach can you believe it!! He is a little rascal!!

Thanks again Patty will try the carrot. Also I will see how his numbers are this evening too.

THanks Sophias mum I hope it helps too!!

Hi Jen

Dont worry I'm not great on the advice either!! And thanks for being there for us . Hope Pippa and your gang are all well - you too! Hugs.
                Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Hi Anne Marie,
                  Just woundering how you and CJ are these days! Thinking of you both this christmas time and sending huge hugs and lots of love. How i would love to be christmassing in the sunshine, depth of a wet and windy december here and the UK has gone its normal bonkers self ...I cant wait for Jan!

Would love an update on our little pirate boy!
                  Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Hi Jen

Sorry I have been so busy with CJ the liitle monkey wont eat again so every day is so stressful trying to get him to eat. He does eat but now only when it suits him - the morning first thing is the worst he wont eat much but I still give him the 6iu and get him to eat about 2 hours later. THen I gaive him some at lunchtime and in the evening he usually eats well - twice in the evening. The home cooking was going well but now he wont eat it if I put the supplements on it. Have emailed vet to see if I can give him a multi vitamin. There is a gastro thing going around here a lot of dogs have it she says so he is only getting filtered water . So Elke said dont bother with the supplements for a few days until his tummy settles down.

THe weather here is beautiful now - sorry you guys are having such awful weather- last night we ate outside with friends who came over for a BBQ ( CJ wolfed his 2nd feed at 8.45pm when I put a bit of steak on top )
                    Its not like Christmas at all here - I dont even bother to put up any decorations any more - but the shops are really busy its like they will never be able to buy anything for months! CRAZY!!

I saw that Pippa scoffed Georges food - did not have time to post- hope she is back to normal for you now!! I hope you all have a lovely Christmas and New Year and that all your Fur babies get a special treat in their stocking!!! Hugs to you and lots of love - lets hope 2013 is a better year for us all.

xxxxxx I will post a new photo of the pirate - his eye is fine he just has some scars on it .

Hugs and Love again. xxxxxx

Comment

Sorry Cj is boycotting food again. You have such great patience with him!

Decker had a couple of days where he didn't eat much of his food recently. Very uncharacteristic for him. We water down his food and add his meds. Have always put the cosequin & B12 in before the water was absorbed with no issues. Had been waiting to put the pred in until the water was absorbed. The days he boycotted the food we'd put the pred in before water absorbed. What we discovered is that his prednisone must have a bitter taste. Went back to waiting till the food was soggy and added the pred and no more issues. Food is gone in about ten seconds flat and he's on to begging for Kinser's dish again - lol!

Hoping Cj comes back around and enjoys his home cooked food again. Are the supplements something you can give with a dab of peanut butter (not sure if they are pill/capsule format or powder)? That's what we use to give Decker his meds at non-meal times. Works quite well for him.

Wishing you a wonderful Holiday season!
                      Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Anne-Marie,
                        So sorry to hear about the challenges with Cj eating again. It's such a worry. I do hope he can steer clear of any of the gastro bugs floating around. Give him a pat for me.
                        Patty
                        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hi holli and patty

Yes I hope he gets back to normal again too every time I think he's getting there the old curved ball comes out again!!

A lot of the. Supplements are in powder form so it makes it difficult. Tablets are no problem as I put them in chicken and he scoffs it at once !

I usually wet the food so I will try putting the powders on it once he starts eating.

Thanks Holli and Patty for all your help and advice since I joined I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Happy holidays to you and your families!!

Hugs. Xxxxx

Comment

Comment

I still have not worked out how to import all photos in one go!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X