Mik is gone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mik is gone...

Well, it's been 48 hours since Mik left us. I want to again thank everyone on this wonderful forum. I would have lost Mik long ago had it not been for all your incredible support and sage advice.

And my sanity would have been long gone.

I am blessed to have found this forum. [actually, Natalie directed me here, and I am forever grateful]

Mak spent the first day searching the house with what little remains of sight in one eye. Not finding his brother, Mak is now searching the house by smell, sniffing for Mik in every corner, blankets and bedding, under tables, and behind furniture. It's sad to watch.

Of course, I talk to Mak endlessly, and pet him constantly. He follows me when ever I leave the room. He sleeps at my feet or beside my bed. It's both endearing and sad.

He is eating and drinking, but his body functions are out of whack. I know when and where he normally does his business, and that has most definitely changed.

I expect [and pray] Mak to adjust, but it does not always bode well for the second dog in these circumstances. But I will carefully tend to him.

Again, thanks to all, and for your wonderful sentiments.

bob
    Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

Hello Bob,

I will be praying that Mak makes the adjustment and you and he can spend a long, long time together still.

It is so sweet and touching that he wants to be near you so much. It is clear you bring him much needed comfort.

Please let us know how you all are getting along. We all care and hope you will post often.

Hugs,
      Heidi and Chloe

Comment

Oh Robert,
        I am so very sorry for your loss of Mik. I'm a little late checking in but know I have been following Mik's story since you first joined the cushings forum.

You have been so wonderful and patient with the boys. I know he is watching over you and keeping company with your wife.

Rest in peace sweet Mik.

John (Roxee's Dad)

Comment

Hi Robert,
          Just wondering how it's going for you and Mak....

Comment

Originally posted by Dollydog View Post
            Hi Robert,
            Just wondering how it's going for you and Mak....
            Thanks for asking. Mak has stopped searching for Mik, but he has become my shadow. In the past, we could leave the room and they had each other. Now alone, Mak follows me everywhere. I pet him a lot.

He is eating and drinking and taking his meds, so that is good.

more
            The really odd thing: Mik and Mak each had a day bed in the living room, and night bed in my bedroom, and a couple of low pillows on the living room rug. Invariably, they would be in one of those three places.

Since Mik is gone, Mak has not once ventured to any of those places. He has established a new day 'location' and a new 'night spot'.

Very odd.

bob
            Last edited by robertpri; 04-10-2010, 02:04 PM.
            Mik: ~15 years, 1 IU Vetsulin per 100 calories of Purina EN canned food. BG's coming down, wt going up.

Comment

Robert

I've never heard of a dog in mourning not wanting to sleep in its usual locations, but here is an article that does mention it as part of grieving. I hope all is well with you and little Mak.

peggy

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/do-dogs-mourn/page1.aspx
              Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Awe, it's heartbreaking to watch them mourn. That is interesting Mak's sought out new places to sleep, Bob. Thinking of you both.

A good article Peggy.
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by peggy0 View Post
                  Robert

I've never heard of a dog in mourning not wanting to sleep in its usual locations, but here is an article that does mention it as part of grieving. I hope all is well with you and little Mak.

peggy

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/do-dogs-mourn/page1.aspx
                  Thanks for the link: "Study respondents indicated that surviving dogs changed the quantity and location of sleep. More than half the surviving pets became more affectionate and clingy with their caregivers."

Yep. That's Mak.

He suffered constipation for a few days but I noticed it and added 1 tspn of olive oil. That worked.

Comment

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I too lost one of my furry friends this week and my 2 year old lab has been so out of it, all she wants to do is sleep. She didn't eat at all for the first two days but is now eating 1x daily. It made me so sad to see how she was hurting as well as myself. Again I am sorry for your loss and hope that Mak bounces back quickly.

Comment

Hello

sorry I don't think we have 'met' but just wanted to say sorry to read your beloved little fellow.

I hope Mak is OK too, my dog Charlie died a while ago and him and Zeno were like twins (we got Charlie at 6 wks then Zeno also 1 year later so Zeno had never been without Charlie).

Zeno looked so sad after Charlie was gone and I was worried in case he would continue fretting so I got him a little friend within weeks and it really helped him I thought, that was 3 years ago now so I hope Mak picks up to soon.

Hugs to you at this time, I know it is heartbreaking.

Sharon x

Comment

Many thanks to everyone.

Mak's behavior changes are very noticeable. He does not sleep in, or even 'visit' his long time beds and 'favorite places'.

He is very clingy, and for the first time in his 15 year life, barks at visitors. Both dogs were such loving guys that they ran to visitors for attention.

But he is eating and drinking, taking his meds, and doing normal business, although a tendency toward constipation. I'm giving him 1/2 tsp/day olive oil.

I have to be really careful while sitting in chairs because Mak plants himself near my feet. I make sure he's out of the way when I get up.

He never did this before.

Animals most certainly do grieve at the loss of a pal.

Comment

Bob,
                          As another option, plain canned pumpkin works well for constipation as well.
                          Patty
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Patty - how much on the pumpkin (or olive oil for that matter) Dozer seems a bit stopped up himself!

Comment

Originally posted by Tikobird View Post
                              Patty - how much on the pumpkin (or olive oil for that matter) Dozer seems a bit stopped up himself!
                              Can't say for pumpkin, but vet suggested 1 tspn/day olive oil for Mak [17 lbs] until there was success. Then back off to 1/2 tspn/day until he is regular again.

Comment

Lori,
                                Here's an article that talks about how much canned pumpkin (plain, not the pie filling) per weight of your dog. http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/constipation.html With a diabetic, pumpkin can increase bg due to the carb. Start with a small amount.
                                Patty

Comment

Working...
                                X