No announcement yet.

Magoo is gone... October 6, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Magoo is worse, don't know what to do.

for jesse i just spring forward her schedule by a half hour so for the morning shot instead of getting it at 7 in winter she gets it at 7:30 in spring

i also would recommend getting a human meter the one touch ultra has a good track record but i use a discount meter that compared very well to that meter .the only problem with the one touch is the larger blood sample thats needed

so you can get any human meter if you want and compare but remember at higher levels meters can be quite a bit off and thats with any meter including a pet one

for me its consistency if i make a test and then do another one immediately after and its close to the same thats a positive . if i get mish mosh of numbers that dont make no sense there is problem but many times its user error they all seem to have some sensitivity to the process of sucking up blood and the amount

sometimes it can be difficult going back and forth between 2 different meters as it can be a bit uncomfortable so its best to pick a meter and stick with it for most of the tests
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Here's what I wrote a couple of months ago concerning using FreeStyle LITE test strips in the AlphaTrak meter. FreeStyle LITE test strips are pretty expensive at local pharmacies, but are better priced online.

The following works for me, but please do your own comparisons.

"FreeStyle LIte test strips in the AlphaTrak meter

Some of us use FreeStyle Lite strips in the AlphaTrak meter to save a little money. Both the FreeStyle Lite and AlphaTrak strips are made by Abbott and look identical. I wouldn't be surprised if they came off the same machine and were just packed into different boxes.

The difference is that the AlphaTrak strips have several "code" numbers listed on the strip container for different types of animals (dogs, cats, horses, etc. each have different codes) because of differences in their blood. The FreeStyle Lite strips are only sold for FreeStyle Lite Series meters and have a single code number for human blood (Actually, I think modern FreeStyle Series meters are auto-coding and you can't even change the code number on the meter).

The trick is to determine what code number should be inserted into the AlphaTrak meter for a box of FreeStyle Lite test strips.

My procedure is to use the small vial of control solution that came in the AlphaTrak kit. Use a true AlphaTrak test strip, code set per the strip container, and use the control solution as imitation blood, note the reading. For example, let's say the AlphaTrak strip + control solution read 150.

Insert a FreeStyle Lite strip, for the first test leave the code set to whatever you used with the AlphaTrak strip, and test again using the control solution. If this test results in a reading within 4-5 points (145-155ish in my example) you are good to go! Unfortunately, most times the above test will be more than 5 points off. If the numbers are off by 6-8, it would be your choice, probably not enough to worry about. If more than 8 points off, you might want to do more testing.

After lots of testing / comparing, code 5 or 6 seem to be best for me. I would insert a FreeStyle Lite strip, change the code to 5, and test with the control solution. If off by more than about 5 points, test again using code 6. Hopefully, either code 5, 6, or the number that was on the AlphaTrak strips will be close enough. I forgot to mention that I ignore the code printed on the FreeStyle Lite container because that number would be used with human blood.

Of course, this may change from box to box. I usually buy three boxes of FreeStyle Lite strips at a time and hope they send me three boxes with the same batch number.

Of course Abbott will tell you to use only the high cost AlphaTrak test strips. Do your own testing, don't rely on my testing / recommendations :-)"

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Having said what I did about FreeStyle LITE strips in the AlphaTrak meter, I generally use a low cost human meter (either the Walmart Relion Prime, or Relion Confirm) for day-to-day testing. The test strips for the Walmart Relion Prime are only 18 cents each. Yes, there will be an "error", but probably close enough in the desired lower 100 range.

I use to worry about the time change, and the few times when we wouldn't be home at EXACTLY the normal meal / injection time. I don't worry about it anymore. Annie seems to recover from my "mistakes" within the next day.

Craig
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your great advice and information. Still getting used to all this (again). Magoo is still running really high. Vet wants to take it slow and I understand that. Still no ketones so that is great. Work in process. I did buy the Alpha Track 2 so thanks for the info on the strips. I have wasted so many trying to learn to do the testing. Some days better than others but he is hungry, active most of the time, pooping good, still stealing stuff (anything he can get, Kleenex, trash bag, etc.) for a cookie exchange, and still barking at everything in sight so I think we are pretty good. Just wish I could get these numbers down faster...it really scares me to death. Trying not to panic every time I do a test. You are all a great help! SO many thanks!

One other note, Stylynjm mentioned that walk, food, shot may not be a good idea. Magoo is still running so high I had not thought of the exercise possibly reducing the sugar. Should I feed him first? Not sure what to do.

Linda
          Last edited by Magoo's Mom; 03-06-2016, 03:57 PM. Reason: Add a question
          Mr. Magoo, 10 yr.old Morkie, diagnosed 2/2/16. 3U Vetsulin once a day. Royal Canin gastro wet food.

Comment

with jesse i exercise her when insulin appears to be at its weakest for jesse thats before food and insulin but of coarse every dog is different . weak i consider not dropping much during exercise

another thing for jesse i need to stay consistent with her walks same time and amount everyday so not to disrupt her balance
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Magoo not doing well

Magoo had a curve yesterday and his numbers are still off the charts. The vet has increased him from 3.0 units twice a day to 4.0. He never got below 450 yesterday. Should I worry about a hypo with this level of increase? Does anyone know when a hypo might normally occur after the shot...1 hr, later, right away? I cannot seem to find any information on this. Any help greatly appreciated. I am just so scared for him. Trying to do better on the testing but I am not too good at it yet. Thank you everyone.
              Mr. Magoo, 10 yr.old Morkie, diagnosed 2/2/16. 3U Vetsulin once a day. Royal Canin gastro wet food.

Comment

I'm sorry he's still running so high.
                I think a hypo could occur at any stage - all dogs react differently and process their food and insulin at different rates, and then there are external factors like exercise as well - so it is pretty hard to predict, at least until you know your own dog's patterns quite well.
                My understanding is that most dogs generally hit their lowest about 6 hours after food and insulin - but I know that our dog is usually at his highest then and he hits his low spot just before his next meal ie at 12 hours after food and insulin.
                Testing is pretty much the only way to know, but in the meantime you can get some comfort from knowing that he was so high all day yesterday that you probably have a good buffer. If you want to play a bit safer, can you increase just half a unit at a time and see how that goes? Early on our vet was always keen to go up in 2 unit increments which scared us so we always introduced increases by half a unit at a time just to make sure we didn't overshoot the right dose.
                Antonia
                Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

I think that with the current levels, one unit is a reasonable increase. I wouldn't worry overly about a hypo event. I know worry never completely goes away.

As far as timing, I would pay attention during times of activity - guests, walks, baths, squirrels. Maggie drops about 100-150 points after a bath.
                  Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Somogyi rebound questions

Magoo has been doing pretty well but I really don't like his last curve. He never got out of the 300-400 range all day until 4:30. He is running high in the morning. I am still having a lot of trouble testing him but I know he is high due to the amount of water he drinks. Also doesn't eat well in am. I can usually get about 1/2 his food in him but give him full shot anyway as he always comes back within a couple of hours and finishes. The vet seems to think he is experiencing Somogyi rebound. His numbers this time were a lot worse than last time....about two weeks ago when he was mostly n the 200-300 range.
                    He gets 4.5 units of Vetsulin twice a day. AM after breakfast about 7:00 and PM after dinner about 6:00. Wt. 11.9 lbs. 10 years old. We are older and go to bed pretty early so maybe I should keep him up later so he gets more exercise? Lower the dose at night? I am hoping to talk to the vet today but I have found sometimes you guys have better answers. Magoo is active, barky, eats dinner like he's starving and otherwise seems great. ANY help appreciated.

Comment

Sometimes if they aren't feeling well it can affect their blood sugar. Did your vet check for a UTI? Our sugar babies can be prone to them.
                      Another thing is that some curve days are just out of the ordinary for some reason or another. Excitement over visitors, seeing a critter outside, sniffing the neighbor dog; seems like anything and everything can affect their blood sugar. Was it just the curve that seemed elevated, or have your spot checks seemed elevated too?
                      Best of luck to you!

Audrey & Bazzle
                      Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Welcome,
                        I'm no expert,but with my sissy,the numbers will start going higher if i past her dose and i need to lower a bit...but also,could need more.
                        It is really hard sometimes to figure it out. Was he on less and you have raised it... trial and error sometimes.
                        Also you could give more at night,like 1/4 unit is how i raise.
                        I'm sure other members will be around. Good luck..
                        We are 4 yrs in and still have off days or weeks,but it will settle.it is very doable...just love your little guy
                        Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

You could always reduce the dose and see if there is improvement.

Have you made any changes to food or any meds since you raised him last? Sometimes, it can be something small.
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

i.d reduce the dose. i take Riles out to pee in the morning before food and insulin. wakes him up gives him an appetite. also i add some salmon to his food works great try this approach.

hometesting is a great tool. u need a dog meter i have one i can send u.

how is Magoo
                            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful replies.
                              Magoo is going to vet today for a urine sample from bladder to check for a UTI and he is also going to do a fructose test. Apparently, that will give him an idea of where his sugar has been for the last few days. Magoo is still not spilling any ketones, he actually gained .1 pound on the vet's scale last week so I think that is positive. We just need to get this narrowed down.

Quick question...what is the best way to get a bubble out of the syringe? I have such a problem with that. I have done everything they say to do and just seem to get them all the time. SO annoying.
                              Many thanks for all the help!

Comment

When you fill the needle, have the plunger pulled when you insert into the insulin vial. Then push the air into the vial. That should help with a slow fill of the syringe. And I always pull more in to the syringe then needed and push back out to the units needed.
                                Myriah
                                Luna, 10 month old Great Dane, diagnosed around 12 weeks. Insulin is Novalin N. Blue Wilderness adult large breed salmon recipe with tuna, salmon or egg. Treats are carrots, green beans, and broccoli.

Comment

Working...
                                X