Yuki has crossed the bridge Dec 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Diabetes, Cushings and Pancreatitis in my Dog

I agree with you totally. I would feel much more comfortable feeding my dog ingredients based on my control.

The fact that you have been controlling her diabetes for 9 years says a great deal about the great job you're doing with her food.

What vegetables do you use?
    15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

lets see I do vary at times and i dont always use all of the vegetables I list here as i mix and match but this is a standard combination Kale ,broccoli , beets ,bokchoy, carrots , tomatoes and cauliflower . Now i understand some of these vegetables have sugar in them like carrots and maybe beets and tomatoes but the amount is so small coupled with the fiber of the vegetable its release is slow that it has no affect on blood sugar for jesse

I boil a dozen eggs make a pot of pinto beans and buy in bulk of chicken when on sale and put in freezer . I think i pressure cook about 5 lbs at a time and store if in the fridge with a good amount of pinto beans . I usually get 5 days of meals so dinner only takes 5 minutes to prepare

I do buy pinto beans in bulk also .
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I believe Fromm is a good brand. I looked into their can foods but the one I wanted {Shreddables} wasn't readily available in my stores here in outskirts of Toronto.
        That formula was the lowest in fat, which matters to me. It had a good fiber mix too.

Just remember, changing food will almost surely affect his blood sugar. You'll probably have to spend some time adjusting slightly the insulin, and testing more to see if highs and lows stay in the same time frames..
        There's many good foods out there, but many are too high in fat or protein.
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Thanks for the information.

So my husband gave Yukon his insulin injection tonight in his hind end and he pulled the need out and it started bleeding. I am really worried about it. He didn't yelp or anything but I am concerned.

I am not going to say anything because I can't give the injections so I am thankful he can.

Where is the best places to give injections?
          15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

Any place you can pull some loose skin but the scruff usually isnt a good long term solution

I actually use jesses back area on either side

There is always a possibility you can hit a blood vessel so it does happen but if that does happen and insulin got directly into a blood vessel it can drop sugar very quickly the same if you injected into a muscle

so you might want to check sugar but i am sure everything is good
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Regarding food - there are many foods that have worked well for diabetics. My dog was very picky and hated my cooking worse than any commercial food. I found commercial diets easier because I didn’t have to think too much. I have found that moderate protein, low fat and moderate fiber are the best with keeping blood sugar stable. High protein will cause some wild blood sugar numbers - very up and down. During Maggie’s last year, we went with the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet Dry food and Weruva canned. Both brands were the lowest in fat of all the brands I looked at and that she would eat. Some people get caught up on brands or wanting premium ingredients but if the blood sugar numbers are terrible and the dog doesn’t really eat it, it won’t do much good.

As far as injecting, the scruff doesn’t always have great absorption and isn’t comfortable. You want to vary the sites because scar tissue will build up if you inject in the exact same spots.
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Info on injection spots.

https://www.aaha.org/public_document..._dog_final.pdf

http://www.diabeticdogstop.co.uk/ins...metesting.html
                Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for your insight it's really helpful. I did a partial curve today and I'm extremely baffled by the numbers it's kind of a sympgi effect backwards. I did not take his blood glucose this morning before his meal but yesterday at 6 PM it was 135.

8:00 a.m. 527
                  10:15 a.m. 407
                  2:00 p.m. 184
                  4:30 p.m. 128

We usually give him his flax hull Lignans at 7:15 and he gets his insulin at about 6:15. Today when we got up we did not give him his Lignans until 8:30 a.m. I am hoping that is why it was so high in the beginning.

It seems like the closer we get to the next meal the lower it gets lately since I raised him to 12 units. It's only been about a week but it's not a curve really.

Has anyone else experienced this? Isn't the symogi low than goes really high?
                  Last edited by YukiesMom; 01-26-2019, 03:45 PM.

Comment

A 400 point drop is pretty steep . If you see a big bounce into higher numbers it could be rebound

What you would like to do its keep checking to see if your pup continues to drop and intervene if going below a 100 . What you would like to do is catch the spike back up . It could happen after meal and next shot

Big swings in sugar in jesses world can point to a dose being to much

For jesse i never seen food as a big impact for her on blood sugar

Comment

We are going to take his blood sugar at 8 o'clock to see what it is we just gave him his Lignans. I will keep you posted it's very strange every day is different for Yukon. There seems to be no consistency but I've been doing everything daily consistently

Comment

Welcome to diabetes. Inconsistency can happen for a while. you make changes, and then get different inconsistencies. At some point though it usually levels out.
                        My dog has been the king of inconsistencies. I spot check when things go awry, just to be sure.

Starting high and then dropping 400 can happen. Sometimes a body does some self correcting when sugar is way high. Curve numbers and patterns aren't relative every day.

Comment

I am glad you told me that - today is a very strange day. He was doing really well this weekend - a big number but then consistent later in the day.

Today was crazy - I am going to take it again at 8:00 p.m. - but it dropped from 623 to 83 - I am wondering if maybe my husband didn't get all the insulin.

We have been on 12 units for almost a week now, so I don't think the Symogi effect would play a factor - or would it?

1/26 8:00 a.m. 527 10:15 a.m. 407 2:00 p.m. 184 4:30 p.m. 128 6:00 p.m. 168 8:10 p.m. 420
                          1/27 6:50 a.m. 180 2:20 p.m. 226 6:00 p.m. 189 8:45 p.m. 424
                          1/28 7:55 a.m. 547 11:40 a.m. 623 5:55 p.m. 83
                          Last edited by YukiesMom; 01-28-2019, 05:08 PM. Reason: chart didn't copy right

Comment

It looks like resistance is broken and you are seeing some good numbers but like i sugested on the other post you are having some substantial drops and may need to edge the dose lower

Comment

9:00 p.m. BG was 236. I am happy about that.

Comment

Looks like the change in food is resulting in alot less insulin.

A 28 lb dog dose at .2 is 5.6.

I use to change Riles food then had to drop his insulin back gradually.

12 units is alot especially when you see the 80.

Maybe too much insulin is causing his hair loss and weight loss in a week.

I.d drop back 2 units . test.. Keep doing it till his numbers level out

Could also be he has an allergy to the new food.

They keep us on our toes eh
                                Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                                20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Working...
                                X