Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Meet Ronak: Newly diagnosed with diabetes

a lower does is a good idea with the excitement going on for the day

maybe a good idea if you haven't, to see exactly how much ronak drops during the walk if he does . you would like to test wright before and wright after

if dropping a 100 points or more maybe less if the numbers is lower before walk he may need a little boost before the walk . i use to have to give jesse a small milk bone smeared in honey before we went on our adventures . not so much now since her body adapted because we are consistent with time and amount of exercise

you maybe ok to give a normal dose in the mid 100s you got a bit of wiggle room if ends up much higher next fasting then the dose maybe to much at that level but if lower or better then maybe her body is accepting to it

thats where you get out the strips, sugar and snacks and see how it goes
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I'm not really experienced enough to offer comments on your curve, but I hope the one today goes better! And I hope the ophthalmologist appointment goes well too. :-)

Comment

Hi all. I wanted to give a quick update to say that things are going really well. We're at 4.5 and 5-5.5 units morning and night, with the shots in the rump while Ronak eats steak/something yummy still doing the trick. He's even coming with his little tail wagging for his shot, since it means getting his steak! He hasn't whimpered or yelped or really reacted to the shot since we started this rump and steak routine.

Our numbers are going well too - we're waking up with 300-400 BG and it falls to 120-220 during the day, with it back up to about 300 before his next insulin dose. We've done a curve every weekend at home and I spot check during the week.

The ophthalmologist wasn't a huge help, but I don't know that she really could have been. She did examine him and say that he has the teeniest beginning of a cataract and that it may already have been there pre-diagnosis, so she recommended seeing her again in about a month or two to compare the size. She was very pro cataract surgery, but did caution us that the surgery takes a few hours with the dog on his or her back, which could aggravate his herniated discs.

Ronak's energy levels are hit or miss, which is what bothers me the most. I have been giving coconut oil for the weakness in his hind legs and of course he gets the salmon oil supplement too. I have ready that B-12 methyl something is the best for neuropathy, and wanted to ask if anyone has a recommendation on exactly what supplement to purchase. I'm not finding anything that doesn't contain artificial sweetening/sweetening.

I hope everyone is doing well!
        Proud mom to Ronak, miniature American Eskimo in NYC born in 2006. Weighs 24 pounds (28 pre-diagnosis). Diagnosed mid-June 2015. Hypothyroid, herniated discs in back, allergic to vaccines, takes Soloxine, Theophylline, and salmon oil. Ronak is a happy boy and his greatest loves are his toys (and me).

Comment

Working...
        X