Sweet Angel Rudy - Cavalier King Charles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Angel Rudy - Cavalier King Charles

I need help wth my Once was 22 lb Cavalier King Charles. He's 9 diagnosed on 7/7. On disability and have spent all plus $400 for answers. Prescription Hills he would touch with ten foot pole. After not eating by day 3 plus allergic to chicken and lamb gave 1/2can 12.5 oz Blue wilderness canned trout. Loved it. 6 units every 12 hours. Does great all day with few frozen green beans. Eats 12 hours to spot but at night exactly 6 hours later is drunk falling down terrified. I give 1tbs Karo. Tonight still can't get his feet up. Gave 2nd dose. What can I do? My gut said lower pm dose but is same amount food
    Last edited by MLynne; 07-31-2015, 12:50 AM. Reason: Typo

Re: New and hard to regulate : Jude

Sounds like his BG is going too low. Do you have a meter to test at home? If this is happening consistently I think you should drop his dose a bit. Is he doing ok after giving the karo? How much does you guy weigh?

Comment

are you monitoring his blood sugar at home. if you are check his bg every hour to catch a hypo . below 100 isnt safe keep giving a small dog buscuit with karo syrup to bring him back up. give alittle bit of his food. keep doing this 1\2 biscuit with karo and abit of food test until bg rises above 150

how is your dog now?
      Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 07-31-2015, 02:16 AM.
      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

looks like you just changed food if so i,d drop back to 5 units, test every 2 hours.
        test at fasting just before food and insulin.
        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Re: Cavalier King Charles Diagnosed 7/7

You said your dog WAS 22 lbs, i am assuming that he has lost weight? I agree with the others, the 6 units is a lot of insulin, and considering his reaction, I would tend to drop it morning and evening to about 4 units and see how that goes.

Testing is important, and you can begin that as soon as possible. But in the very short term, today, dropping his dose makes a lot of sense and could help him to stay safe till to you get it figured out.

I am not far from you, if you can't obtain meters etc. I have extras.
          Last edited by Joan; 07-31-2015, 04:59 AM.

Comment

That was my thought - too much insulin for the new food. Please lower that dose.

Testing at home is also much less expensive so it is a great option to save vet bills.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

What do I do when its been 12 hours and he's due to eat but isn't ready too That's been a huge concern. I can't force him to eat if he's not hungr My gut says same that dosage is too high. Thank you all for your quick responses. Rudy is my heart and it breaks to see him going through so much. I don't have much $$ but am doing everything I can to get him regulated.
              What is the best but maybe no so so expensive glucose monitor? How do you use it and does it show highs and lows? Trying hard to digest all this new information

Comment

Sure just send me the info on it and I will check out

Comment

Sure Jo1an. Send me the info on what type it is and I will check it out! Thanks

Comment

Joan (oops) last message typo

Comment

here is a link to a pretty reliable less expensive meter for testing.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Con...-Blue/13863716

You can get this at any Walmart.

The bg numbers on this meter need to be adjusted up for dogs as compared to humans, but till you are much better regulated, you can use the numbers as is. it will for sure tell you trends, highs lows etc.

Way to use it is on this site,

http://www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html

just wanted to make sure, if he doesn't eat a full meal, then you reduce the insulin dose. No food, probably you can get by with one unit. 1/2 meal maybe 2 units.

What type of insulin are you using? Vetsulin? Novolin? Humuln?
                      Last edited by Joan; 07-31-2015, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Novolin N

Thanks!!

Comment

he's about 20 pounds now. he's lost a little. Joan recommended Reli-on glucose meter. Where do draw blood from on dogs?

Comment

i use Riles inner lip across from the big canine tooth. i put the strip in the meter put it on the floor. lift his chin up, hold his lip quickly jab twice, pick up the meter slide the strip in the blood droplet, done. you can turn of the beeping noise in the meter and if you cant use the lancet device, use only the lancet. takes practice but best place i found so far to get a large blood droplet

Comment

Very informative. Thank you so much😊

Comment

Working...
                              X