Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bogie - miniature schnauzer

I think dropping to 3.5u is smart.

I also think you have room to increase the barley a bit. Might carry him through a little longer.

Love the rose pic too!
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thank you Patty & Judi I'll do that tonight and bring the barley up .5oz to a total of 1.5oz.
      Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Dawn,

I'm amazed at the reduction in insulin, from switching over to zeal. If looks like the barley is holding the numbers steady for the am.

I bet Bogie is enjoying the extra treats, if nothing else... Perhaps makes up for the additional testing.

Barb
        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

It's possible as you achieve a balance with more barely, you might have to bump the insulin back up again. But I'd rather have the breathing room while adjusting and not have to intervene to get a better picture.

The switch seems to be going really well! Switching foods was never fun for us.
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
            Dawn,

I'm amazed at the reduction in insulin, from switching over to zeal. If looks like the barley is holding the numbers steady for the am.

I bet Bogie is enjoying the extra treats, if nothing else... Perhaps makes up for the additional testing.

Barb
            Hi Barb,
            I know!! thee W/D was just not allowing him to come down very much. I am sure his insulin dose will come down even more but then again he was on a very high dose.
            And... Yes, he does LOVE those extra biscuits... in fact he hasn't gotten those since he has been diagnosed.
            Bogie is a 8 year old 24 pound Miniture Schnauzer, Dx on 08/24/12. Home cooked diet formulated by Just Food For Dogs, Switching from Levemir to Vetsulin.

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
              It's possible as you achieve a balance with more barely, you might have to bump the insulin back up again. But I'd rather have the breathing room while adjusting and not have to intervene to get a better picture.

The switch seems to be going really well! Switching foods was never fun for us.
              Hi Patty,
              It's possible... I'm just thrilled we have his numbers down... and it's good I am always home as I can keep a very close eye on him. I should have given him one biscuit instead of 2 because he jumped up to 240. It seems like we learn something new everyday...
              Thanks again for your help
              Last edited by BogiesMom; 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BogiesMom View Post
                Hi Patty,
                It's possible... I'm just thrilled we have his numbers down... and it's good I am always home as I can keep a very close eye on him. I should have given him one biscuit instead of 2 because he jumped up to 240. It seems like we learn something new everyday...
                Thanks again for your help
                It is always better to over compensate. I think it is human nature, and 240 is not a bad number at all.

Great job...

Comment

Dawn, so glad to hear that Bogie's blood sugar has come down, way to go!
                  I posted my latest about the retinal activity, not good news, but I wasn't expecting a miracle after the last test. I am wondering about the food you are feeding now, the zeal, is it mushy? How do you feed Bogie, by hand, or just let him get food in his beard?! Janie

Comment

Hi Janie,
                    Sorry to hear about Bo Bogie just eats the Zeal out of his dish no mess just turns his beard alittle green (Just light tint) and I take a wet cloth and clean his face off after... No problems. I make his food up the night before and morning before evening meal so his food is really quite firm acually better than some canned dog foods and he really likes it. I was really supprised with the results of his BG levels.
                    But I am so glad I did the switch and there was no problem with it... He acually looks and acts better now than before.

Comment

• So far so good =)

Hi Everyone,
                      I wanted to update on Bogie... Last night we stopped adding Barley and started adding Millet 1 tsp.
                      With his insulin decreased to 3.5 he did better... His fasting BG last night 45 min prior to feeding was 119 so I knew he would come up with his dinner so I didn't test him again prior to feeding.
                      At 10pm he was 108
                      His fasting BG at 4:55 am was 151
                      and at 7:30am he was 175
                      So, so far the millet seems to be holding him and the reduction in the insulin is good too. I went ahead and brought him down to 3.25units this am just to see how he would do with a little less and so far his numbers are good.
                      He is acting really good much more active and actually he licks less.
                      I'll keep you guys posted and hope the trend continues.
                      Thanks again everyone
                      Dawn
                      Last edited by BogiesMom; 02-22-2013, 09:06 AM. Reason: Correction

Comment

i really like what your doing with bogie

trying a different carb to have the best affect reducing the dose slowly to see where the bottom is and i would continue with that until you start to see an uptick and then stop reducing and hold then if need be raise up slowly he has pretty stable blood sugar so this is quite easy to do i think many dogs are mildly overdosed and the body is able to compensate but it does affect regulation
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

• Re: So far so good =)

Originally posted by BogiesMom View Post
                          Hi Everyone,
                          I wanted to update on Bogie... Last night we stopped adding Barley and started adding Millet 1 tsp.
                          With his insulin decreased to 3.5 he did better... His fasting BG last night 45 min prior to feeding was 119 so I knew he would come up with his dinner so I didn't test him again prior to feeding.
                          At 10pm he was 108
                          His fasting BG at 4:55 am was 151
                          and at 7:30am he was 175
                          So, so far the millet seems to be holding him and the reduction in the insulin is good too. I went ahead and brought him down to 3.25units this am just to see how he would do with a little less and so far his numbers are good.
                          He is acting really good much more active and actually he licks less.
                          I'll keep you guys posted and hope the trend continues.
                          Thanks again everyone
                          Dawn
                          Dawn,

I found the same with the millet, that it lasts a long time and I do not need to worry about any drops, and coupled with the Honest Kitchen, I too have seen less with the paw licking. I'm not sure if Bogie has any skin issues, but for Abby these went away as well.

You are doing such a great job. Changing foods can be very challenging..

Barb

Comment

Very interesting about the millet. Connor was doing fairly well for a while on 11 units twice a day but then started to get some really low numbers. Now we are giving him a bit less insulin but his numbers are a lot higher.

Would millet help him I wonder? Also since he is still not well regulated would this be the time to try a little millet? For a 63 lb dog where do you start?

Susan

Comment

Originally posted by pixiegirl View Post
                              Very interesting about the millet. Connor was doing fairly well for a while on 11 units twice a day but then started to get some really low numbers. Now we are giving him a bit less insulin but his numbers are a lot higher.

Would millet help him I wonder? Also since he is still not well regulated would this be the time to try a little millet? For a 63 lb dog where do you start?

Susan
                              Hi Susan,
                              Abby's Mom told me about the Millet, you might PM her and ask... But Bogie weighs 24 pounds and I started with 1 tsp. The cooking instructions are on her thread. I just started the Millet last night but he's done really well today so far.
                              Good Luck

Comment

• Holding Steady/It's Been 1 Week Today

Thanks Everyone for your compliments!! I am only doing this well because you guys have helped me through this. If it wasn't for you, he would still be on W/D with high insulin dose. So Thank You!!!!

Today his numbers have been very stable...

Fasting BG@ 4:55am 151
                                7:30am he was 175
                                10pm he was 108
                                4pm (1 hr prior to feeding) 188

I think I am going to hold the insulin at 3.25units for a couple of days and see how he does. The only time that concerns me is at night around bedtime because he does go lower and we are in bed. He does sleep with us, but it still sits at the back of my mind... ~Will he go low while I am asleep?~ I have been testing and if he is around 105-110 ish then I give about half a dog biscuit for peace of mind.
                                He is doing really good... Great energy and my husband even commented on how well he looks and acts.

Thanks again for everything and I will keep you guys updated...

(Bogie was on W/D and his curve was "Very" level... But he was one of the dogs that just needed alot of insulin to make his BG go lower,and even then he was in the mid 200's to low 300's sometimes lower. So I had to try something else and I always wanted to place him on a new diet. It just so happened that we made the right choice for Bogie at the right time.)
                                Last edited by BogiesMom; 02-22-2013, 05:43 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Working...
                                X