• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ophthalmologist: Spell It!

Just for fun:

Ophthalmologist: Spell It!

It.

VERY GOOD!

I saw an ophthalmologist today, first time in half a century or so. I have age-related macular degeneration, dry form - the better one to have. And a suspicious hemorrhage (did I spell that right), UNDER the retina in my left eye. Uh-oh! So I'll be scheduled for a fluorescein angiography - a dye that reveals what's going on in the blood vessels under the retina.

I LOVED my ophthalmologist! OPH-THAL- Mologist (easier to remember the spelling that way, I think). His name is Dr. Shortt.

Talk about team-mate! Well, he TOLD me everything, but elicits information. My eye pressures are good - no glaucoma, thank goodness.

Explains well in lay terms. I really like this guy! Wish more vets were like him.

Don't know when this test will be scheduled; if the dye test shows something, laser surgery can be performed to stop the vessel(s) from leaking; they have good results from this kind of surgery.

Dr. Shortt gave me a wonderful hand-out to read. Great stuff.

Guess I won't go blind any time soon, thank goodness.

I was really impressed by the skill and pleasantness and patience of all the technicians who did this test and that, largely, taking pictures. I'm stunned at the technology - computers everywhere!

Dr. Shortt seemed to take whatever time needed with me - but right at the end, when all was done, he disappeared so fast I couldn't thank him! I left a message at the desk, to please thank him for me!

Camellia will have a seeing Human-doGMother for some time to come, at least.

Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:50:16
    http://www.coherentdog.org/
    CarolW

Re: Ophthalmologist: Spell It!

That is excellent news Carol! I can spell "it" but not the eye doctor word

So glad you liked him and got good news. My Mom takes some special vitamin her doctor gave her when she was diagnosed with macular degeneration. Did he give you any of those?

xoxo, Judi
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Good to hear about the great report. Please follow up as recommended. (I know you will.) Our eyes are such an asset to us, much more we're told than dogs' sight to them. I go to the eye doctor regularly because of a genetic disorder in my right eye; almost all of my sight comes through the left eye, so I have it checked every year. This year the Dr. wants to see me at half-year mark because he saw something suspicious.

I really like him, as you do yours. It's great to have someone you have confidence in.

Mary

I had to look up ophthalmologist to see if you spelled it correctly!
      Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
      Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
      Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
      Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Carol,

That is wonderful news that you like your ophthalmologist, and it sounds like he will take great care of you.... just like you deserve.

How we can relate to our dogs, at all times.

hugs to you... you are our inspiration!!
        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Thanks for all your good wishes! No; Dr. Shortt (who is tall) didn't mention vitamins. I could always phone his office, and ask. Thanks for mentioning that, Judi.

The place that does the fluorescein angiography will make me an appointment and phone me. I don't even have to think about it! Glad you keep checking on your eyes, Mary - best thing to do.

Barb - what else can we possibly do but relate to our dogs at all times? When I see the universal dedication here on the forum - everyone so deeply dedicated - that is what I find TOTALLY inspiring!

And you people go around and read different threads and help out; this has to be a highly useful and supportive way to do things, with our fellow members, all of whom are doing everything they can for their dogs. Ah; friends; we are so lucky to have each other, too!

An animal-training trick: back-chaining. That is, teaching the ENDS of things first, and working our ways back to the beginning. Why do humans do this? Because if we learn the last first, then next-to-last, and so forth, each successive step in learning gets easier, as we already know the end, so we only have ONE step to learn at a time, and the rest follow naturally!

Therefore!

-Mologist

I think most of us can remember that. And what's left over isn't really all that big.

-Thal

I'm trying to think of a good mnemonic for that one! Can somebody cook one up?

So far, we have,

-ThalMologist.

Only one left!

-Oph

pronounced something like "Off" - I CHECKED this with Tall Dr. Shortt.

And Thal is pronounced the way it looks, as is Mologist.

So, there we are (and while it's always been an effort for me to type that eye doctor word, I'm finding it a bit easier now:

Ophthalmologist

hey, not bad!
          Wed, 14 Sep 2011 06:51:47 (PDT)
          CarolW

Comment

Carol,
            Sorry to hear about the macular degeneration but so glad they can do something more about it these days. How much does that type of laser surgery cost? Does insurance take care of it?
            Patty
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Carol

Sorry about the eye problem and do make sure that you follow up on everything the doctor says you should do.

You now need to give yourself the same level of care that you give to your furry friends..... and that, dear Carol, is a very very high level of care.

Take good care
              Louise

Comment

So glad to hear it's going ok with you, Carol! We definitely need you around here in top form so please do take care of yourself!

My vet was impressed with how much I was doing for Hank but honestly...I had to tell him about all of YOU! Told him..."you think I"M good...you ought to see these folks dedication to their dogs and their health!" It's truly an amazing group that has gathered here...both in support of our dogs AND in support of each other!

Hugs! Hugs! Hugs!!!!
                Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Carol,

How did I miss this post??? I'm so sorry to hear about the macular degeneration, but am glad you are doing well. It's also good to hear that you like your opthamologist! If not, I could have referred you to Kobi's...LOL...I like him much more than I like my own!

Kevin
                  Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Shellie - you're right about the people here. You're one of us - you fit right in; after all, who else could deal with Mr. PKP?

Louise - uh, thanks for reminding me I have to take care of myself as well. By the way, thanks so much for your story about how you became Budding Artist. That is just MAGNIFICENT. I hope you keep painting.

Patty - my medical insurance takes care of the costs. Part of the pension (Canadian) system. Otherwise, I wouldn't have a hope of having any of this care, which must be very expensive, when I see all that technology, and the myriads of well-trained doctors and technicians.

Kevin - I once said to my vet, I wish you were my doctor. And thought it, many many times more!

And - finally all the results are in, and it turns out I have wet, not dry, macular degeneration in my left eye, as well as bleeding underneath the retina, so, I have an appointment for 18 October to have that repaired - with laser surgery.

The logistics here have to do with:

I won't be able to drive home; My appointment is in the Big City - something over an hour to get there. Camellia's doGMother, Parrot Lady, is being a total angel for me - she started by setting me up for the initial eye exam (result - new glasses), drove me there too.

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/parrotlady.php

Camellia STILL can't be left alone at home for longer than five minutes, or up to 15 minutes if I'm within range, not at all if I drive out or somebody drives me out. And DogDaddy George will be away camping.

It's that last that makes it really difficult. But I managed to line up two different people to stay with Camellia at home for the day of my eye surgery. Shift-work, you know!

And - I'm not even nervous about the surgery, as I've had friends who've had similar stuff - all tends to go easily, and no particular uncomfortable after-effects - well, within reason! And by now, I know these people enough to be extremely comfortable with them.

We were joking around like mad, both times I was there. The first time, the chart (projected by a lamp) was in the wrong place on the wall, so the tech went out to try to sort that out. We had been joking. After a time, I got out of the chair and went to talk to Marg; then the tech came back and directed me to a different room.

Marg said the woman beside her said, "Those people are having far too much fun." And the fun continued. THAT is the way to go through anything tricky. My vets have always been cheerful, too. Serious, of course, with their work - and they cry, too, when they have to euthanize an animal - but at all other times, lots of laughter in the clinic. Lots of hugs go on there, too. It's like this forum!

Ummm, I doubt I'll be HUGGING my ophthalmologist - though if we were to have many years together lots of the time, I might.
                    Thu, 6 Oct 2011 07:25:22 (PDT)
                    CarolW

Comment

Carol, I will pray that your surgery goes well and saves your sight. I have a personal reason which is not directly related. I have a congenital cataract in my right eye, and see very little with it. So I vigorously protect my left eye and take care of it. We are (well, my Dr. is! ) watching a "bubble" in that eye now in case it is a cataract. I see him again the first week of December. (The congenital cataract has not responded well to surgery over the years; other factors involved.)

Please keep us informed about your situation, and DO take good care of yourself.

Love and prayers,

Mary
                      Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                      Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                      Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                      Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Mary - thanks so much for the information - and your urgings! yes, I'll do my very best to protect my eyesight. I'm very lucky to have a good ophthalmologist.

Not to mention friends who will drive me, and DogDaddy George to stay with Camellia while I'm out. I haven't yet been able to teach her to stay home alone.

Actually, DogDaddy George might be going camping, so I have two other people lined up to stay with Camellia the day of my appointment (18 October) in case George is away.

In SOME ways, Camellia requires as much attendance as Kumbi or Kwali ever did - or more! I could leave Kumbi and Kwali home alone together for a few hours, to do my errands. Can't do that with Camellia - yet!

I really appreciate your concern. We have become good friends here - like so many other forum members.

I'll have to catch up on your news of Izzy!
                        Thu, 6 Oct 2011 20:36:05 (PDT)
                        CarolW

Comment

Working...
                        X