• Just a Dog

Thought I would share a favorite of mine:

http://www.dogsinyc.us/JustADog.html
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Re: Just a Dog

Enough said! Thanks for sharing.

Mary
    Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
    Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
    Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
    Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Thank you, Barb. Brought tears to my eyes! And I'm lucky...I've got 'just a dog'!

Hugs!
      Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Tks Barb.

I heard it many times during our challenges with Buddy and some idiot even offered me a gun and a bullet, said it was cheaper than going to the vet.

Louise

Comment

I LOVED that. I have never read it before. So true and sweet. People say that to me all the time. Family included. I've even gotten laughs when I say that Cookie has diabetes. Some people just don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by CookieMama View Post
            I LOVED that. I have never read it before. So true and sweet. People say that to me all the time. Family included. I've even gotten laughs when I say that Cookie has diabetes. Some people just don't understand.
            Perhaps they are laughing at the phrase: "Cookie has diabetes" , but perhaps it is the association of Cookies (being something sweet) and diabetes in the same sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
              Perhaps they are laughing at the phrase: "Cookie has diabetes" , but perhaps it is the association of Cookies (being something sweet) and diabetes in the same sentence.
              Well the Vet did make a comment that she had a very appropriate name! LOL
              But the lady that takes care of my grandparents couldn't believe that a dog could get diabetes. She actually thought it was funny. She came from Cuba recently so the way we treat our dogs here is very strange to her. I guess she was not meaning to be insensitive but it really did hurt. I think mostly people laugh because they have never heard of a dog with diabetes. Maybe I'm just too sensitive! LOL

Comment

But the lady that takes care of my grandparents couldn't believe that a dog could get diabetes. She actually thought it was funny. She came from Cuba recently so the way we treat our dogs here is very strange to her. I guess she was not meaning to be insensitive but it really did hurt. I think mostly people laugh because they have never heard of a dog with diabetes. Maybe I'm just too sensitive! LOL
                Well, my boss did ask when I was going to put her down, when I told him (as I was going to the vets alot). Told me she was old, and I shouldn't waste my time.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
                  Well, my boss did ask when I was going to put her down, when I told him (as I was going to the vets alot). Told me she was old, and I shouldn't waste my time.
                  Yeah, I get that from my Dad all the time

Comment

Originally posted by buddingartist View Post
                    Tks Barb.

I heard it many times during our challenges with Buddy and some idiot even offered me a gun and a bullet, said it was cheaper than going to the vet.

Louise
                    So sad! These folks do not have a clue as to what they are missing in life, not only because of the "just a dog"s, but the compassion and concern they most likely are not experiencing.

We are most blessed!

Mary
                    Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                    Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                    Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                    Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

I love this Barb, thanks. I've definitely heard a lot of comments this summer also.
                      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I live in an area that's HEAVILY populated with dogs, many of them, quite well-cared-for. Some, not so much.

A while ago, some new neighbors, when I was admiring their very nice small Cockapoo (they bought her in a pet store - didn't know any better, and still don't!), remarked, as I told them about Kumbi's diabetes, that if their dog ever required major vet expense, they'd put her down.

I rather liked these neighbors, who are farm-people and teachers, and their remark shocked me to the marrow. They explained to me that their dog is a farm animal. Oh. I (don't) see.

But lots of dogs in my area do get good care, including some blind and diabetic dogs.

There's such a contrast in people's views! But also, the worst is the insensitivity of people first, to the Nature of the Critter, and second, to us, their CareTakers and Guides. I find it hard to imagine the GALL it takes for somebody to suggest to somebody else they should put their dog down because it's old or ill.

I suppose we have to recognize that every person is different. Ugh.

Oh, hey! I had a LOVELY experience today! The property manager for the suite I rent came by for a yearly check on the property (we'd made an appointment). I'd liked this woman a lot in our email correspondence - she took over when a less-good-worker fell out and apparently was let go.

She (Janice) arrived with four HUGE milkbones in her hand. Camellia greeted her at the gate. Janice and Camellia got along instantly; Janice has wonderful dog-energy - cat, too, as she has a rescue cat named Pearl.

I handed Janice my box of TINY treats - what Camellia usually gets for treats. Invited her in. Asked her to sit down. Said Camellia could have ONE milkbone. The amount was greater than Camellia would get in a meal!

Janice broke up the milkbone, and gradually fed Camellia the whole thing. I set the other three aside, to be taken to my next-door neighbors, who live in the main house. They have a big dog.

Janice and I hit it off totally. Before she left, I told her I allow Camellia on the table, because she can get up there! I hadn't PLANNED that; but had, rather, planned badly, butting the table up against the back of the sofa. What did I expect!

Janice got a kick out of that! SHE would never think anything like, "Just a Dog."

I liked her so much that I told her she was welcome to drop by any time just to sit down for a few minutes, have some tea, enjoy the view! - and get a loving from Camellia, of course! (How could I be so lucky as to have such a great property manager!) Janice said she's a PollyAnna. No wonder we hit it off; I'm one, too.

Eek! What a ramble!
                        Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:18:53 (PDT)
                        http://www.coherentdog.org/
                        CarolW

Comment

A co-worker from Ethopia was much the same. They don't have a clue about how we treat our animals here. To them...they aren't pets, just animals. Like you'd treat a squirrel or possum. She never did 'get' it but got used to it.
                          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Originally posted by CarolW View Post
                            Janice got a kick out of that! SHE would never think anything like, "Just a Dog."

I liked her so much that I told her she was welcome to drop by any time just to sit down for a few minutes, have some tea, enjoy the view! - and get a loving from Camellia, of course! (How could I be so lucky as to have such a great property manager!) Janice said she's a PollyAnna. No wonder we hit it off; I'm one, too.

Eek! What a ramble!
                            Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:18:53 (PDT)
                            Carol,

It is wonderful when you meet someone and they share the same affection you have. In addition, I am positive that Janice was just as pleased with her new found friendship in both you and Camellia.

Comment

Sometimes I would take "just a dog" over any human being in the world!

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                              X