Harry the wonder dog - An Angel 12.05.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harry the wonder dog - An Angel 12.05.11

I don't know that I can add anything more that hasn't already been said - everyone here is so eloquent in expressing their emotions toward "our Harry" (and you Yunhee).

I have lost two dogs - but I was much much younger (and older teen). It was different. All I can say is <insert whichever higher power you prefer> help me as it will be horrific when it does happen. My heart burns for all the babies here that have passed and I only know them "virtually", I dare say I can "imagine" what it feels like, but I know that I truly won't know until it happens.

We are here for you...

Tami, Soaphie and Syd
    Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Harry was really lucky because he was very very loved - not just by me, but by my husband, Amy and my parents as well as numerous vets and you.

My husband is also shattered by our loss - but he is trying hard to remain stoic and strong for me.

This morning, he went running on the trail favored by Harry. He sent an e-mail to me during his run with the last photo of Harry and me - and he instructed to put this on Harry's urn / box (He was a gentle soul and loyal friend). Since Monday, we were struggling to come up with the right inscription to put on his box - and while he mocked me for being corny, he was reflecting about it all along.

Harry was indeed a gentle soul. I remember when he accidentally caught a pigeon at a beach in Chicago. I took the pigeon out of his mouth and rushed it to a vet. The vet was surprised to discover that this poor pigeon was completely unharmed - once the creature recovered from the shock, he/she was able to fly off. He never got into a single fight - he was a pacifist.

He was always by my side during our adventures. He was a somewhat cautious / fearful dog. We were running on a trail in Mammoth one early spring day and ran into a bear. Both dogs took off and ran from the bear. Amy came back and alerted me to the bear (the bear was about 15 ft away from me - and I did not see it because it blended so well into forest), but then Amy has always been more brave than Harry. Harry eventually came back, and I know what courage it took for him to come back - he did it for me and Amy.

Comment

I am so very sorry for your loss of Harry. I read your earlier post doubting your decision, and I can understand that feeling. I felt it with Abby, but from what you described, Harry needed peace, and you gave that to him. You were a wonderful mother to him while he as alive and he was so lucky to have you.

Take care and get some rest. You have been through so much.
        Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Oh Yunhee,

I am so sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to you and your family. Harry was very much loved and you were a wonderful mom.

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

RIP sweet Harry.

With Heartfelt Sympathy,
          Lori

Comment

Doubting and second guessing is probably the one part of grieving you can guarantee when it's an animal that we put to sleep. There is always that 'what if' and that 'wonder what' and 'could have'...but you will drive yourself nuts if you do that. At the moment you made the decision...it was the right thing to do! Not the same one you may have made two days later or the one you might have made a week prior but at that time...it was the right one! And that's all you can expect of yourself, Yunhee...to know that you made the right decision...and the right one for Harry! Not yourself, not anyone else...but for Harry! Knowing what pain and doubt and grief you would experience yourself, you still made that terribly choice in order for Harry to be free...from pain and anxiety and fear.

It is never, never, never easy and we ALL doubt to one degree or another if we did the right thing. We all play the what if game. But in the end, Harry is now free of all the things that bound him to a painful existence here with us and is free to run and play and be a pup again! He is waiting for you and loves you and always will!

We cry with you, Yunhee! Hugs and care!
            Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Originally posted by HarrysMom View Post
              Harry was really lucky because he was very very loved - not just by me, but by my husband, Amy and my parents as well as numerous vets and you.

My husband is also shattered by our loss - but he is trying hard to remain stoic and strong for me.

This morning, he went running on the trail favored by Harry. He sent an e-mail to me during his run with the last photo of Harry and me - and he instructed to put this on Harry's urn / box (He was a gentle soul and loyal friend). Since Monday, we were struggling to come up with the right inscription to put on his box - and while he mocked me for being corny, he was reflecting about it all along.

Harry was indeed a gentle soul. I remember when he accidentally caught a pigeon at a beach in Chicago. I took the pigeon out of his mouth and rushed it to a vet. The vet was surprised to discover that this poor pigeon was completely unharmed - once the creature recovered from the shock, he/she was able to fly off. He never got into a single fight - he was a pacifist.

He was always by my side during our adventures. He was a somewhat cautious / fearful dog. We were running on a trail in Mammoth one early spring day and ran into a bear. Both dogs took off and ran from the bear. Amy came back and alerted me to the bear (the bear was about 15 ft away from me - and I did not see it because it blended so well into forest), but then Amy has always been more brave than Harry. Harry eventually came back, and I know what courage it took for him to come back - he did it for me and Amy.
              I don't think that's corny at all. I think it's simple truth. Sometimes, simple truths sound corny (to others).

Yunhee - I LOVE your memories! Please post them as the spirit (any pun intended) moves you! Yours help stimulate mine of my dogs who are at the Bridge. Those dogs still live with me, in my heart. And they watch over Camellia.

As Shellie said, your doubts and agonies are a normal part of grieving. And I'm so glad you're staying with us.
              Thu, 8 Dec 2011 08:05:20 (PST)
              http://www.coherentdog.org/
              CarolW

Comment

I haven't been on the board for quite a while now due to Chloe's battle with bladder cancer. I checked in this morning and just had to post to say how very sorry I am for your loss of your Harry. You two have a special bond that will never be broken. I wish there were words to take your pain away, but there are none. I send you healing prayers and warm hugs. God gives us these special gifts to love and care for. I just wish we could keep them longer.

Love,
                Heidi and Chloe

Comment

Harry'sMom..just wanted to say I was thinking of you and hoping you are doing okay this morning.
                  Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark on a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour. - John Boswell

A Doggy Story

Comment

Thanks Hiwaygal.
                    I am still reeling from the loss - even though I am going through the day to day motion.
                    I just can't believe my Harry is not here. It's always been Harry and Amy in my life - and now just Amy.
                    Amy seems depressed, and we are trying to spend a lot of time with her. Harry got to spend 18 months of his life as the only dog. Now, it is Amy's time to have that privilege.,
                    Little Roxie is proving to be a good distraction - she follows us around like a little puppy, and we can't neglect her. She is just adorable.
                    Nevertheless, Harry had so much energy around him even when he was sick - the house is silent and empty.
                    Over the last 13+ years, I was James and Audrey's mom and then James / Audrey/ Harry/ Amy's mom. Amy is the only remaining one from this team. My life and my identity as I defined it are forever gone.
                    I will rebuild, but I know it is going to be a very long process.
                    Since Harry's diagnosis of diabetes in December 3, 2010, I had centered my daily focus on managing his illness. I woke up to measuring his blood glucose, I spent my morning focused on feeding and walking him. I thought about his blood glucose during work, and my priorty in the evenings was Harry. It is so ironic that I managed to get his diabetes under a decent control, but it was the other issues - recurring infections and a possible tumor - that claimed him. I thought that I would know about Harry's general condition through his glucose behavior, but it did not work out this way.
                    I understand it was perhaps not the most productive way to live my life, but I cherished it because it was for Harry. I would have walked to the moon for Harry, but in the end, I could not stop time and inevitable death.
                    I keep telling myself that there is time for everything in life - and it was Harry's time to leave this plane, and it was my time to lose Harry. James and Audrey, too, wanted to discard their aging and decrepit bodies in this world and seek new painfree and healthy existence somewhere else. Harry had alway been great with insulin injections. However, during the last two weeks of his life, he started to fight against the injection and began to hide. I think Harry was telling me it was his time, and he was sick of this ailing existence.
                    After James' passing, I did some Internet research on near death experience. At the time, this idea gave me some solace. I so want to believe in life after death. I am not very religious, but I want to believe if it would mean that I will be reunited with my babies again. However, for a rational mind like mine, wanting to believe and actually believing and knowing are two different things - and my doubts throw me into a profound sadness. How could it be that such loving and caring relationships like ours would just end???
                    After the euthanasia did its job, all of my babies's bodies just seemed like empty shells. I could not even recognize them as my babies. This, in a way, leads me to believe that there were souls and someting vital in there that departed. I am trying to use this to build my comforting life after death idea.
                    Thank you so much friends. Reading posts from you and from e-mails from my friends at K9Kidney group has sustained me over the last few days.
                    I also have been speaking with friends who have experienced recent pet loss - and that has also helped me tremendously.
                    Last edited by HarrysMom; 12-09-2011, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Yunhee... sending hugs. Harry became part of our lives, and we miss him as well.
                      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

I just came back from my walk with Amy.
                        Several of my neighbors commented that they knew it was Harry's time. They saw him wobble and collapse - and felt that it was his time. I guess I was the last to know.

Comment

More hugs from me. You've just been through so much.

I also have that battle with the rational mind and the spiritual. I want to see Abby again, but I have to admit I'm a little afraid of seeing her. I mean, if it's on a spiritual plane and all, I suppose she'll be able to talk to me, and if she can, maybe she'll tell me what she really thought about being cooped up in my house with that darn dog all the time or why she didn't like being picked up. Do I want to know these things? Maybe not

But, if I could talk to her, I would tell her how much she meant to me and how much I have missed her sweet little purrs and soft fur.

I do hope we get the chance to see our fur babies again. I can imagine that Harry would have so much to tell you, but above all, I know he would tell you he loved you and he knows you loved him.
                          Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cebe View Post
                            I do hope we get the chance to see our fur babies again. I can imagine that Harry would have so much to tell you, but above all, I know he would tell you he loved you and he knows you loved him.
                            I've not a doubt we will be reunited with loved ones, all of em. I also have a theory that our four leggers are actually angels who are put in our lives to teach us.

How could they be anything but???

Yunhee, your Amy is here for you now.
                            Last edited by farrwf; 12-09-2011, 02:33 PM.
                            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

I have not been on the board for quite a long time. I just felt the urge to check it today and the first thing I saw was the news of Harry's passing.

I'm SO sorry for your loss! You and Harry have been through so much. Do NOT second guess yourself. Harry's had so many infections that I cannot see putting him through ear removal surgery. Something else probably would've come up after that.

You definitely did the best thing for Harry. It is VERY, VERY hard, but the courageous, selfless thing to do.

His last day that you spent together sounds positively heavenly! What a wonderful thing to do for him! He definitely knew your love.

Peace and God's blessings to you.

Comment

Yunhee...I'm also of the rational mind set and have a hard time with 'religion' ....most especially since most of them deny animals have souls. But that's a discussion for another day!

What I mean to say is that regardless of what I may think of religion or whatever you want to call it..i KNOW in my heart that I will see my babies again. No doubt whatsoever! How can something that is such an embodiment of love just disappear? As you noted...there is now something missing in your home...and that energy is your babies spirits! I can't see that things would just end either. This is all there is? I don't know for sure where we go...but I know there are a bunch of little people waiting to see me and I am looking forward to seeing them, too! My only worry is how will I give all my babies the attention they deserve when I'm only one person and there are a few of them there?

Harry, James and Audrey are waiting...and you'll get to see them again!
                                Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Working...
                                X