My Sweet Bagel in Heaven now..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Sweet Bagel in Heaven now..

Here we are..Bagel, my Cushings girl since March has suddenly become diabetic with the diagnostic BG at 420. A week of drinking and peeing 24/7 and Mommy up all night taking her out took us to the vet.
    She has had a bladder stone, several UTIs and been on Lysodren since March doing well...

ONE shot of vetsulin- 9 units last night..I almost died but she didn't even notice...Was suppose to do the second one tonight,,I messed up cause her fur was all wet and so I have no clue if any went in,.
    better to let it go than try more..
    tomorrow I do 2 doses..I will be more careful but I am still very nervous about it.
    She will be 10 in Dec...weighs 40 lbs Cushings diagnosed in March...
    next week she goes for curve test..
    I don't know anything,,,Will she definitely go blind? Now her eyes are clear and she is pretty healthy. We go out in our stroller daily...I will post pics of that and her...
    thanks..I am exhausted and trying to schedule a meltdown but no time. Have cancelled all weekend plans so I can do these shots and watch her...
    Do I need to schedule 12 hour increments exactly>>> no leeway??
    Sande

Re: Bagel joins the group and Mommy is melting

Welcome!

You have come to the right place! We have ALLLLL been where you are - just remember to BREATHE!!!!!!! BREATHEEEEEE!!!!! It will be fine!

Patience

Patience

Patience

1) you were correct in not trying again on a missed shot
    2) I'm glad you are going to be doing two shots a day
    3) The guideline I use is 11-13 hours.....no one is perfect and can keep an exact schedule.....12 hours is the best, but 12:01 and 11:59 is fine too
    4) No guarantees on eye sight. Some lose it, some don't. Those that do will tell you that the blindness is harder on you then on the dog....the dog will adjust and be just as happy as ever
    5) What do you feed bagel and how much?
    6) learn all you can and ask questions - everyone here is SO SO SO nice!!!!

Tami & Soaphiedog
    Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

tomorrow night is a long planned dinner theatre at my church..and I am torn as to what to do....I don't know whether to give her the shot and leave...and be gone 3 hours or so.....but since it is the first day of two shots
      I feel very apprehensive ...I think I want to just stay home...
      advice??

Comment

Hi again,
        Can you come home in the middle of the dinner theatre or can someone else check on Bagel for you? Do you know any teenage students that could sit at your house with a movie and let you know if anything strange is happening? Or you could call them?

Lady would fuss over an injection if I was holding my breath....I had to remember to breathe naturally.
        Tami has great advice...I'll be back to check tomorrow. Hope you can enjoy the dinner theatre,
        Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel

PS We had a beagle when I was growing up...his name was Chummy, my first dog.

Comment

My neighbor offered to come and sit,,,, or check in...she would have to clue what to do if she did react...
          I need to leave about 6 or 6:10 at the latest...
          Planning on the shots from 6 to 6....
          How fast could she react if she were going to??
          If I knew what to expect it would be better..but we are all so ignroant here...
          S

Comment

Have no idea how fast she could react but if she went too low your neighbour would have to give her some karo(corn) syrup and then call you. She would need to rub the syrup on her gums or lips.
            Hope someone else will come along to help out with this issue....Lady never went too low. When she was diagnosed with diabetes her bg was 730. Her vision failed very very slowly and it was over a year and a half before anything showed up at all. And then it deteriorated very slowly.
            Jo-Ann

Comment

Thanks! I have the Karo....but I think my neighbor would freak....
              I think I have pretty much decided that tomorrow night will be Bagel's....She needs me even if she does fine which I so am praying she will....

Her sister fought a long battle for many years with both Cushings and Diabetes..and she went blind too..she had many more complications and she crossed the bridge last May...

Bagel is a toughie and Mommy is learning...next week they will do her curve and then I will have to know about testing and meters and things..
              Sande

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about her sister but glad to hear that Bagel is a toughie like her.
                I guess staying home would make the most sense...you'd probably be too concerned to enjoy yourself.
                Just had another thought....do you have to start the 2 shots tomorrow or could it wait till Sunday? That might not be a good idea either but just thought I would bring it up.
                Take care,
                Jo-Ann

Comment

hmmm never thought of that..
                  He started her last night..then tonight altho I botched it and doubt much went in....
                  guess I'd better start it tomorrow..then stay home..have a nice dinner here and relax...
                  I need to catch up on sleep...
                  thanks to all..
                  Sande
                  PS we don;t have a diet plan as yet...
                  she has been eating Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover';s Soul..a holistic food ...senior
                  then b/c of the bladder stone urinary SO bur she is really tired of that...
                  I went back to the holistic the last few days for her to eat and for the shots I need her to eat food she likes..
                  will be cooking her some this weekend too...

Comment

Have a good sleep! Tomorrow is a new day!!

Comment

Well Hi Sande Bagels Mom ! Welcome !

You'll do just fine, all the help is here, I had a friend who's dogs name was Bagel.

dolly
                      Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Better Day indeed!!

Although we were up and outside 3 X in the night and then she slept like a baby...
                        didn;t get the shot in til 7 Am..later than I had planned..BUT thankya Lord I DID get it !!!

She wasn;t THAT crazy about eating..unusual for her..but she did eat enough. I am going to the store soon and get some ground turkey and veggies for the crockpot...

A pharmacist friend emailed last night.;she has been diabetic for 36 yrs...and she said find out when Vetsulin PEAKS...she said Her INSULIN peaks at 4 hours so I could go to my dinner since I would give her the shot and then it wouldn;t peak til later.,.
                        Does anyone KNOW about that?
                        I will call teh vet but you guys are faster sometimes..
                        and since I gave the shot at 7 Am could I give it at 6 tonight??
                        Sande

Comment

Hi Sande:

Welcome! My Pip used to be on Vetsulin and his action peaked at around 2PM - BUT every do is different. We figured out the two peaks from the various curves he's had done. We switched to NPH and found out that this insulin peaks at 12pm.

You'll see a pattern once you have several curves to compare. Since you don't really know much about how Bagel uses insulin, I wouldn't change the times. I know once they're regulated you have about an hour window either way to give the insulin. Maybe someone else knows better.

You know it will settle down and you'll be able to go out without such worries! Every time I change my Pip's insulin dose I can't sleep...constantly checking his breathing. But I'm a type A...

Pam

Comment

I see you have great help with Bagel! So sorry the diabetes got added to the Cushings. Mostly, it means some extra work and scheduling for you.

If you're feeding and shooting at 6 and 6, on any particular day, you could alter either time by, say, half an hour, with no discernible effect in particular, unless Bagel is a fanatic-schedule dog! I'm very strict about MY schedules, but that's because I'm so very absent-minded, and I use a computer-calendar to keep myself in line. When our schedules go awry, as occasionally they do, it's by not more than an hour, and I just don't worry about that.

Only concern would be if the awryness WERE more than that.

Wishing you tons of luck with Bagel. I'm glad you're on two shots a day, it seems to work best for most dogs.

I'll be watching and cheering you on.

Sat, 7 Nov 2009 06:16:35 (PST)
                            http://www.coherentdog.org/
                            CarolW

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE SHOT THIS AM!!

I hope someone else comes on with whether you can do the shot at 6pm. Once you get used to this you can "play" with these things a little.
                              Will check back later,
                              Jo-Ann

Comment

Working...
                              X