Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Munchie–11 yr. old MiniSchnauzer–Just Diagnosed

Louise,
I wish I could help you and Munchie... I know how scary it is when our fur baby's are sick... You feel so helpless. Munchie is in my prayers tonight as are you... Please keep us updated.
Hugs,
Dawn and Bogie
Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 AM

Sorry that Munchie is feeling sick and not eating.

This must be such a worry for you, sorry I have no words of wisdom, but sending you both healing thoughts and hoping today brings better news.

Have you been able to check his urine for Ketones with a number up in the 500s?
Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:34 AM

I am sorry that Munchie is sick. I hope he is better today. Aren't they a worry!
Antonia
Old 11-27-2012, 04:40 AM
Founding Member

hope Munchie is feeling better today. I have never had to deal with pancreatitis (knock wood). I feel for you.

519 is down from where he has been so I'lll look at that # as hopeful. hugs, Judi
Old 11-27-2012, 05:11 AM

I hope Munchie is ok, Louise.

I do totally relate to your frustration. Decker went from 15u of Humulin N up to 37u, from mid-December 2011 to May 2012. His bg ran 300-600 the entire time. I could never wrap my mind around how 37u of insulin could show the same results 15u of insulin did. Especially in knowing that at one time 20u and 40u of insulin overdosed him. Most of his increases were 1u at a time. We'd wait a week, run a curve, increase, see a bit of hope for the first three days, then his bg would rise again, as if nothing ever happened. Sometimes it would be higher with an increased dose. There were many times I thought I was losing my mind. Because of his overdosing it took me a long time to stop thinking we may have overshot his maintenance dose and I worried that we were overdosing him again.

Ultimately, it was the undiagnosed hypothyroidism. But that is what caused his high lipids and the high lipids caused his chronic pancreatitis. Decker's pancreatitis was present with no symptoms. Appetite was good, temp was normal, bm's were normal. No vomiting. Possibly some tummy discomfort. I truly belive we would not have regulated him on the NPH. His curve patterns were none existent - looked like a rollercoaster ride gone wrong. Changing to the levmeir was a life saver for Decker. Gave him some consistency and made it easier for us to be more aggressive with increasing his dose, despite the potency.

Perhaps if you are able to get Munchie's bg lowered it would help lower his triglycerides. And if the lipids are lowered it may help ease the pancreatitis. Maybe just wishful thinking for you - as in times of frustration it's easy to grab onto any hope that may be out there. Hoping all is well. Holli
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 AM

Hope Munchie is feeling better this morning. Sending prayers.

Jake
13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016
Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Founding Member

jesse did have bouts of pancreatitis when she came home from the hospital after major episode same as you described once her numbers got better they seem to fade away

you may have to go to a bland diet and you may have to withhold food for a day and slowly work some back in as appetite increases

there bodies are so delicate at this time

now it is possible to just give one meal a day and that may give digestion a break that is jesses routine and has work well with her digestive issues she does get a milkbone for a snack mid morning whether that was the key to no more problems with the pancreas we will never know for sure but she has had very few problems since i think most vets prescribe more meals but smaller

so keep an eye on his numbers see what they do without food i do know how you feel it just broke my heart seeing this with jesse and seeing this not long after getting from hospital she did get better on her own and without medical intervention it was scary

prayers for munchie for getting better soon
Old 11-27-2012, 07:44 AM

Thinking of you and Munchie Louise. Hoping you both get some relief soon.

Tara
Old 11-27-2012, 08:02 AM

Sure hope things are better today.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 PM

Louise

I am so sorry to hear Munchie is feeling bad and vomiting - the poor little fellow and poor you it's such a worry. I know cj was vomiting this morning too an hour after eating and insulin. He's ok now but it's so stressful never knowing when they will eat or if they do will they throw it all up. Hope Munchie is feeling better this evening . Hugs
Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.