Amber Newly diagnosed, severe neuropathy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amber Newly diagnosed, severe neuropathy

I agree.... With her fastings at 180-218 just a few days ago that's a huge increase in insulin all at once! Please watch her VERY closely if you do this increase ( personally, I would NEVER do a 5U increase ). Since you havent had a curve recently, you have NO idea how low she dips or when.... Don't base the dose on the high numbers, base it on their lows

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by SandyL View Post
      I agree.... With her fastings at 180-218 just a few days ago that's a huge increase in insulin all at once! Please watch her VERY closely if you do this increase ( personally, I would NEVER do a 5U increase ). Since you havent had a curve recently, you have NO idea how low she dips or when.... Don't base the dose on the high numbers, base it on their lows

Sandy
      Ditto.

And in this case I don't think even just spot checking is safe. With that big of an increase she could easily drop quickly and then bounce back up before even the two hr. window had elapsed in-between curve tests. Therefore lows might not be caught.

I would also want to curve before 10 days.

Your girl has been through so much and is just starting to get her strength back. I think an overdose would hit her hard.
      Tara in honor of Ruby.
      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
      Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

I hate to "pile on" but this is a 50% increase. Might be needed, but just is a lot at once.
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. They did a curve at the vet today (she was there all day). Her numbers have been coming up the last two days in that her lows have been in the mid 200s and her highs that I've registered were at 378. I will keep a good eye on her all weekend. I will admit, I was so excited about her ligaments that I forgot to ask what her readings were throughout the day. Another rookie mistake. I will call tomorrow and get the readings.
          Trish

Amber 10.5 y/0 lab. Dx May 2012. DKA, neuropathy. Recovering mobility. 15 units 2x.

Comment

Hi Trish,
            I think with numbers mid 200s even into the 400s I would still only increase 1u.

Great news on her ACLs!
            Patty
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
            X