X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Possible diabetes for 20 yo cat??

Originally posted by HarrysMom View Post
    Thank you, Eileen.
    How is Mildred doing? I hope he is faring well against his TCC.
    You're welcome.

Mildred is hanging in there, thank you for asking.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Eileen,
      I had to syringe feed James a small jar of Gerber Stage 1 chicken. I could not find any Stage 2 that did not have fruit in it at my Walgreen's.
      It was surprisingly easier than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by HarrysMom View Post
        Eileen,
        I had to syringe feed James a small jar of Gerber Stage 1 chicken. I could not find any Stage 2 that did not have fruit in it at my Walgreen's.
        It was surprisingly easier than I thought.
        oh that's GREAT that you were able to get some food into your boy, especially glad that it was not a struggle for you.
        Sometimes it seems to 'jump start' their wanting to eat again on their own, so hope this is the case for James.

I buy the stage 2 Gerber chicken or turkey at Walmart (or any grocery store) for about .98 cents a jar.....this is usually recommended for our pets as it contains no onion or garlic powder as do the others.

I must use it for Mildred with every meal to get her to eat as well as a supplement for my crf/congestive heart failure kitty, Melody....at least 4-5 jars a day.

Mildred also takes Mirtazapine once a day to stimulate her appetite, I give her only 1/4 tab (of a 15mg tab).

In cats it is given less frequently, only twice a week.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2552
        Last edited by eileen; 09-27-2011, 05:53 AM.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

James has not eaten voluntarily since Friday. We are giving him fluids 2x a day. I am syringing food for him.
          Frankly, I think this is it for him. He lost his will to live, and I can see it in his eyes. His eyes also have a film of gunk on them. He is indifferent to what is going on, and can't find a comfortable position. He is lethargically lying around, but he keeps shifting his body. He has not pooped since Saturday even though I've given him food.
          All our vets are out until Sunday. I called Golden Gate Home Euthanasia & Hospice to schedule something possibly for tomorrow night or Saturday if possible.
          Audrey still has fire in her eyes and begs for food and tries to sneak outside. She is not ready to go, but I can definitely tell the difference with James.
          Deep in my heart, I think this is more than pancreatitis - I think our old radiologist was right about there being a lung lesion - the tumor must have come from elsewhere in the body.
          I will save $$$ for ultrasound and make a donation to the local shelter to honor James.
          I am so busy at work now, but I am having a complete meltdown. Don't know how I can pull myself together here.

Comment

Oh Yunhee. My heart is being ripped apart for you. I am so sorry. Everyone always says that "you will know when it's time"...

You are just such a kind, compassionate mom. I think you are making the right choice - just doesn't make it any easier - at all.

We are all here for you.

Tami, Syd and Soaph
            Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

I am thinking of you and sending you loving thoughts.

You are such a good pet Mom

xoxo, Judi
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Oh no...hugs and warm thoughts to you!
                Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Thank you, Judi, Shellie and Tami,
                  My heart is a bit lighter. I will be devastated soon, but I think I know this is the right thing. I can't' ask James to rally one more time when he is so much in pain. I could do something drastic and hospitalize him with IVs and steroids, but what more could that gain him? A few weeks or days? He will meet the same painful end. All the vets agree that this is the right thing to do.

Comment

Dear Yunhee,

From your descriptions, I totally agree - it's time for James. Holding you very tight in my heart and arms - Kwali, Kumbi - and Prancy - at the Bridge are setting up a party for James for when he arrives. Camellia sends him off with massive waving of her magnificent Magic Wand. And I - I ask Kumbi to do the honors, as he always has, and drop me - and you - a tissue or several.

So if tissues start fluttering from the skies, you'll know Kumbi (and Kwali and Prancy) are watching over you and James. (Tears here.)

Love and hugs,
                    Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:43:55 (PDT)
                    http://www.coherentdog.org/
                    CarolW

Comment

Thank you, Carol.
                      I feel actually lighter after making the appoinment for this Saturday. We will sending off from his lair - my closet. I will get a print of paws made for him out of mud, and the vet will take care of the body transportation to and from the crematorium.
                      I don't have many pictures of him - primarily because James has spent most of his life in my closet. I will get a photo of him tonight.

Comment

Yunhee, I understand and agree that you are doing the best for him. My eyes are leaking as I write, though. We have paw prints of Ruffles, too, and they mean alot to us.

You are in my thoughts and prayers, with (((hugs))),

Mary
                        Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                        Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                        Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                        Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Yunhee,

I feel so bad for you for all that you have been going through. To have all these health problems at once.

You do you know when the time is right, but it just breaks your heart to see them struggle. Sending strength and a warm hug.
                          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Thanks, Barb and Mary
                            Your support means a lot to me. It is amazing - I'd never believed it when I was told that you know when that time comes. I know that I am making the right decision, and James did let me know very clearly. This is the best gift I can give him, and it makes me relieved knowing this. I hope I can make the right decisions for all my other creatures. I've been afraid that I would be too selfish and refuse to let them go at the right time.

Comment

I really feel for you Yunhee.

You say that you hope that you are making the right decision. Please never forget that you have made nothing but great decisions in the care of all your furry friends. You truly are a devoted pet mom. No question about that.

Please also do take the time to care for yourself as well Yunhee. You are also very important.

Louise

Comment

I am sorry to learn that James' journey is nearing the end. Sending you all a big, very gentle hug.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X