new with Alphatrak code question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new with Alphatrak code question

Hi! My pug Abbee has been diabetic for years. I recently had to but new test strips for the Alphatrak (original). I was told in correspondence that the alphatrak 2 strip would work. My question is this: is the code really 36 for dogs as it stays on the vial for the strips? !
    thanks for the help!
    Abbee's mom

Re: new with Alphatrak code question

Welcome to the forum

I think the data sheet that comes with the AlphaTrak2 test strips say to code the old (grey) meter to 7 if using the new strips in the old meter.

You might consider getting a new AlphaTrak2 meter since the price has really dropped in the past few months. $55 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/AlphaTRAK-Bloo...ing+system+kit

I'll look for the data sheet in my files.

Tell us more about your pup.

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
      Welcome to the forum

I think the data sheet that comes with the AlphaTrak2 test strips say to code the old (grey) meter to 7 if using the new strips in the old meter.

You might consider getting a new AlphaTrak2 meter since the price has really dropped in the past few months. $55 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/AlphaTRAK-Bloo...ing+system+kit

I'll look for the data sheet in my files.

Tell us more about your pup.

Craig

Yep, just opened a box of AlphaTrak2 strips and the the chart in step 1 (setup) says to code the original (grey) AlphaTrak to 7 when using AlphaTrak 2 strips. I suppose this will provide "close" readings, but best to get a new AlphaTrak2 if possible.
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

That's what I thought, but then the vial said 36 for dogs and 38 for cats. I am definitely thinking about purchasing the 2.
        Thanks so much for your help!

Comment

That's what I thought, but then the vial said 36 for dogs and 38 for cats. I am definitely thinking about purchasing the 2.

Abbee is a 13 year old pug. Shes blind because her diabwtes went undiscovered when she was wit my ex. She's been doing really well for quite a while and then her blood sugars went really low... so we're doing lots of monitoring and trying to figure what's going on.
          Thanks for your help.

Comment

The grey Alpha Trak glucometer, must be set to code 7 when you are using the Alpha 2 strips.Also,you must add ten percent to your reading.
            This information was given to me by a customer rep at Abbot(the company that makes Alpha Trak and other human glucometers).

Comment

I dunno about adding 10% seems a lot

I,d compare the two. alpha track and alphatrack2 with alphatrack2 strips using the same blood sample. this will give you an accurate animal reading.

try setting code 7 for a test then 6. I used code 36 and I now use code 6 with the alphatrack2. I also use the Freestyle lite strips in the 2. there cheaper and accurate. comparisons with your personal testings on your dog.

testing is fun
              Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
              20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

....or just follow the instructions on the data sheet and set the AlphaTrak to 7.

Craig

Comment

As I am learning about my fur baby's diabetes this is very overwhelming! Back to the books for me!
                  Last edited by Lieder2; 04-15-2015, 02:03 AM.
                  Miss Pepper Potts: born November or December 2014; diagnosed March 9, 2015; weight 12 lbs; 5-units Vetsulin twice daily

Comment

Working...
                  X