Angel Cosmo went to heaven Oct 3, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angel Cosmo went to heaven Oct 3, 2014

Hi to all and thank you HarleyPomMom, Jenny-Judi and k9 diabetic for recommending this site.
    Don't know where to start, I am so overwhelmed. Cosmo hasn't been doing well...see brief hx below. He went to vet 2 weeks ago from bleeding out between penis and skin covering it, was put on antibiotics and bleeding stopped. On Tues he began vomiting and wouldn't eat. Took him to vet wed, labs:
    9/17/14
    glu 585 (60-110)
    ALP 1533 (20-150)
    BUN 45 (7-25)
    PHOS 8.1 (2.9-6.6)
    WBC 17.87 (6-17)
    NEU 15.49 (3-12)
    LYM 8.2 (12-30)
    PLT 785 (200-500)

no insulin given wed bc he wasn't eating. Was kept til 11pm on IVF's then came home. Back Thursday am, given IVF's and IVAB. labs:
    chol 386 (125-270) Wednesday.

Thurs
    glu 689 2 u insulin am, 551 noon, 469 evening 2 units
    WBC went up 22.23 (6-17); Neu 19.31 (3-12); LY 8.3 (12-30); PLT 580 (200-500). Back home for night.
    IVF's and IVAB given.

Today
    Back in am, IVF and IVAB
    Glu 689 am 2units; 489 noon; 478 evening.

BP 244/145; HR 182

Back home, vomited at vets earlier and then at home. Nausea med was given at vets. Ate in am but refused in evening. Finally took some food. Gave 3 u Novolin N. Will go back to vet in am but no fluids will be given.

Ultra sound report:
    Mod prostatomegaly; bil adrenomegaly; Marked enlargement of pancreas-hypoechoic lobules consistent w steroid edematous pancreatitis. Local peritonitis present. Marked gallbladder distention w sludge. Marked hepatomegaly consistent steroid hepatopathy and glycogen deposition.

So much wrong. He is going downhill. He means everything to me. Worse of all is trouble breathing due to to extremely large hard abdomen. Because of his knees he can't walk much anymore. Has no energy to do anything.

Any advice welcomed. Thank you in advance. Sorry this was so long, wish I didn't have much to say.
    Last edited by jas77450; 09-19-2014, 10:08 PM.
    Cosmo 9 y/o Yorkie 20 LBS, DX 9/16/14 Novolin N 3 u BID. DX w Cushings 2 yrs ago, hepatomegaly, pancreatitis, peritonitis, gall bladder disease, heart block, BPH, bil fluxating patellas.

Re: cushings and newly dx diabetes

Hello welcome to you and Cosmos

others will be in to read your lab reports.

i wanted to know how much your Cosmos weights?
    can u post the latest full 12 hour curve?
    what food is he eating?

ask away any questions you have. Were here to help
    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Riley and Mo thank you for the welcome and quick response.

Cosmo wt 20 lbs. I don't even know what a curve is...haven't done one.

He has been on Wysong. Not sold in stores, get it from my groomers. Holistic food.
      I will have to change it as it has too much omega 6 fatty acids and Cosmo can't tolerate fat due to the pancreatitis.

Did I post this on the right thread?
      Cosmo 9 y/o Yorkie 20 LBS, DX 9/16/14 Novolin N 3 u BID. DX w Cushings 2 yrs ago, hepatomegaly, pancreatitis, peritonitis, gall bladder disease, heart block, BPH, bil fluxating patellas.

Comment

Your post will get moved as soon as a moderator sees it to the diabetes section no worries.

according to his weight 3 units is a low starting dose. My dog weighs 20 lb is on 5 1/2 units of nph insulin. All dogs are different.
        I would think your vet will up his dose tomorrow.

a curve is taking Cosmos blood with a glucose meter every 2 hours for a 12 hour period. Then adjust insulin . Your vet probably did one.
        hows he doing tonight?
        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Just read your thread over at k9cushing.

if he doesnt eat give 1/4 of his regular dose.
          if he eats 1/2 give half his insulin dose

your doing great.

It seems from your post the vet might not have done a full curve just testing twice, once at noon then again in the evening.

the first test of the day should be at fasting thats just before food and insulin . Can u get the full curve tomorrow at the vet to post.

when Riles was dx i needed to know what his bg was and bought a glucose meter, glucose strips and lancets. I poke the inside of his lip, slide the strip in and log his results.

theres videos here and lots of people to help you hometest if you want.

is Cosmos on pain medication? And meds for the nausea?

Comment

She started him on 2 units and 3 u was started this evening. Even though he's 20lbs, he should be about 10-12. He is not fat, it's his huge belly and enlarged organs. I don't think she did one bc she gave me his glu results...posted in original post...only 3 each day.

He is not good. Vomited at vets today and then at home. Doesn't eat most of the time which is opposite his ravenous appetite he usually has due to cushings. He is drinking constantly when awake. Is lethargic. I can tell he doesn't feel well. He has pancreatitis and peritonitis so I'm sure he is in pain. Still has keytones which has me worried but at least it's small vs mod. I'm worried he may not make it. BP is very high as is heart rate. Just too many problems.
            Last edited by jas77450; 09-19-2014, 11:21 PM.

Comment

I hear you. The best thing is to get the pain meds going and something to settle his tummy.

this will help Cosmo feel abit more comfortable.

for the pancreatitis people feed chicken and rice. Its easier to digest.

i,ll be here for a few more hours. Did you get something to eat?

Comment

How is Cosmo doing tonight?

Natalie

Comment

She did 3 glucose tests day...am, noon, evening. she is not keeping him tomorrow, just taking out saline lock, no fluids. I think she just wants to check him before they close at noon, so I know she won't do the curve.

she gave him tramadol for pain.

I have a glucometer and test strips to check for keytones. Can these be used on dogs.
                  Thanks for the info on what to give when he doesn't eat, very helpful. I will check out the videos.

Comment

Urine strips are used to test for ketones

the glucose meter is used to test the blood sugar which is more accurate.

yes alot of use human meters. You need glucose strips to match that meter and by some lancets. Your set to go.

Comment

yeah I. ate,. thank you for checking, I have been giving him chicken with rice, tiny pieces of carrots and a little broccoli.
                      What do you feed your baby?

Comment

Yes, you can use a human glucometer. Depending on the brand, they tend to read the blood sugar lower than actual and with his blood sugar so high, no meter will be terribly accurate.

But it will tell you if the blood sugar is coming down in response to the insulin - looks like it is responding pretty well - and then more about the blood sugar once it's routinely under 400.

OneTouch meters tend to work the best of the human meters in my experience. So if you have that one or know someone who does, that would be a great meter to use.

You can also get ketone test strips (ketostix or ketodiastix) to monitor his ketone levels yourself. If the pharmacy doesn't have them in stock, they can usually get them pretty quickly.

Glad he got something for pain and hope you both can get some rest tonight and tomorrow. Insulin should help him feel better.

He won't be "regulated" immediately but dogs usually can tolerate blood sugar much higher than humans can. Many with blood sugar in the 300s are basically their normal selves. And ketones usually disappear once their blood sugar is down into the 300s and 400s.

Take a look at the main website - www.k9diabetes.com - for general information about diabetes in dogs and links to other pages as well.

I'm off to bed... it's really late (or early) where you are. You must be exhausted.

You are welcome to email me if you find yourself having a more urgent question: k9diabetes@gmail.com. I check my email from my phone so access it more often every day than the forum.

Natalie

Comment

When Rilieys not well i feed Merrick grammies pot pie with alittle white rice usually basmati. Otherwise he eats Fromm surf and turf for 2 yrs now.
                          Last edited by k9diabetes; 09-19-2014, 11:47 PM. Reason: NK

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                            How is Cosmo doing tonight?

Natalie
                            Not good. worried! vomiting, not eating much, high BP, glucose, keytones. Pancreatitis...posted all labs and results on previous posts if you get a chance to look them over.

Thanks for checking. I am great full for all the help here.vYou are all wonderful.

I have a cheap Heb glucometer and already have the urine test strips for keytones, I. just didn't know if you could use it on dogs. I am diabetic myself and was recently hospitalized, thus I have the supplies, I need to learn where to obtain sample from on a dog. I will check out those threads. Seems like the lip would be painful.

Riley and Moo
                            Good idea on the carrots and broccoli, should have known...not thinking.

I think I can finally rest now...Goodnight!
                            Last edited by jas77450; 09-20-2014, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Pancreatitis is rough. I've so far been fortunate not to have had to deal with it myself, but I've seen quite a few dogs who have had it and it's painful to watch and scary.

The tramadol may also be making him lethargic, which can make him seem like he is worse than he actually is.

I am glad you are in an urban area with good access to emergency and specialty care. All of us here at K9C and K9D are beaming Get Well wishes to your boy and have all of our fingers, toes, whiskers, and tails crossed for you both.

Try to get some sleep...

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                              X