Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Daisy's Story

I feed Riley 3/4 of a can each meal. That gives him sufficient calories.

The extra moisture is good for them too.
Riley, 7 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 7.5 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:17 PM

Daisy is back up in the 400's again. Last night I checked her at 730p, an hour and a half after she ate and she was at 75. Double checked again with the AT2 and she was at 95. I fed her a little snack to get her through the night and she was 411 this morning.

I started her on some digestive enzymes and probiotics this morning.

Also putting her food through a food processor and adding a little water.

I'll try giving her insulin about a half hour after she eats and we'll see what that does.

I can't seem to match this up right.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:53 PM

hi

i wouldnt wait to inject Daisy.s bg will go high
adding water changes the amount of food
making changes on one readings not good

how much stewie you feeding?

you feeding 1/2 or 3/4 food???

mo
Old 10-12-2017, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Daisy Curve 4/2/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisydog10 View Post
Daisy BG went too low so I lowered her dose to just a tad over 5u and we've been on it for over a week. I did a curve on her today with the AT2 to see where we're at:

7am 178 fed 3/4c Ruby Stewbie with a little bit of chicken, 1/16 tsp cinnamon and 20 mcg chromium picolinate sprinkled over food
9am 130
11am 87
1pm 82
3pm 95
5pm 111
7pm 156 - fed as above, injection and nightly walk

She's no longer spiking after meals and hasn't for a week now, so you all were right about her settling in. Her highest level last week was 255.

The 82 kind of scared me. Should I give her just a teeny bit under 5?
remember this curve???

good for a mini snauzer

u added chicken here maybe all Daisy needs is adding abit more protein

i remember adding a tablespoon of rice to Riles food worked. brought his bg up
Old 10-12-2017, 05:02 PM

also if u think shes lost weight she needs less insulin u think

but change one thing at a time. i.m trying Daisy girl
Old 10-12-2017, 05:42 PM

Oh, how I wish she was regulated like that again!! She did really well until her last UTI, then that was over. She was on 4.9 units, just a little under 5 units. She's on 3.5 now with her nadir around 110-140.

I measure her food with a food scale before I add a little water. She gets 1 cup of Stewbie.

I was reading Natalie's article on food and insulin and the curve for the food not meeting up with the insulin looked exactly like Daisy's. I've had her on different dog food over the past 2 1/2 months and the more dog food she gets, the earlier her nadir and the earlier she seems to run out of insulin. I'm thinking yes, the food is part of it but it seems like it's her digestion process. She does do better on the homemade food. So what I did (because I'm running out of ideas) I fed her at 6 and gave her insulin at 630. I just checked her and she's at 309, down from 425 at 545p so at least she's processing the insulin a little slower this evening.

I'll try adding her chicken back.

Thanks Mo!!!!!
Old 10-12-2017, 06:44 PM

good do one change at a time dear. its easier on your Daizy girl. wait do a curve in 7 days. remember. the key to regulation is same food. same amount. same insulin same time.same exercise. do a curve in 7 days.

ur close like before
Old 10-15-2017, 06:01 PM

I did add a little chicken back to her diet last night and hopefully it will help. Thanks Mo!

We got a low reading of 70 several nights ago so I lowered her insulin to 2.5. Her nadir today was 130 around 1030a and she started to go up around noon. I gave her 1/2 unit with some brown rice and chicken and surprisingly she was only at 336 at 6p. If I could just get the insulin to last a little longer....
Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

It was mentioned that Daisy may need a snack. Since I leave for work at 730a and her snack needs to be later, I got an automatic dog food feeder that records your voice then spins around so the dog can get the food through the opening. I thought we would do a trial run this evening for her 930 snack, so we sat patiently waiting next to the feeder. She was so funny. At first she didn't know what was going on but now she's hovering over the feeder waiting for it to spin around again so she can get more food.
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisydog10 View Post
It was mentioned that Daisy may need a snack. Since I leave for work at 730a and her snack needs to be later, I got an automatic dog food feeder that records your voice then spins around so the dog can get the food through the opening. I thought we would do a trial run this evening for her 930 snack, so we sat patiently waiting next to the feeder. She was so funny. At first she didn't know what was going on but now she's hovering over the feeder waiting for it to spin around again so she can get more food.
lol add the chicken ... in aday. drop the insulin. in aday.
add an automatic feeder. what gets measured for your Daisy girl.

u need to think about her diabetes not games.

snauzers need your attention. your the first here on the forum to regulate your dog😃😃

you cant do a curve with a fun thing dog feeder that doesnt calculate food. how much.

but i love your trying for ur Daisy. i.m laughing. stay true.

same food. same amount. same exercise. same insulin same for 7 days. okay😀