Daisy's Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Daisy's Story

its possible with the antibiotics the dose may become to much and that maybe the reason for the instability
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

She gets a little lethargic about 2 1/2 hours after her dose. Clavomox is augmentin so I'm wondering if it makes her a little nauseated.
      Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

After 7 days on antibiotics, her numbers are almost back to normal and no more fever.

Is there anything I can do to try and prevent a UTI?
        Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

This study indicates cranberry may have some benefit. But more reading says that you need a supplement, as juice isn't as potent. Cranberry also helps make the urine a bit more acidic, which helps with uti.
          Alkaline urine can contribute to uti.
          Cranberry with d-mannose is the suggested supplement.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27027843
          Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

I've used Cranberry Relief for many years, and Annie has not had any UTI during this time. Of course there is no telling if this prevented any UTI.
            https://www.amazon.com/NaturVet-Cran...elief+for+dogs
            There are also chewables, but I think this powder is less expensive.

I've told this story before. Years ago, I thought I'd be "smart" and get fresh cranberries from the grocery. Should be better than these supplements, right? WRONG! Her blood glucose shot up into something like 500 Seems that fresh fresh cranberries, being a fruit(?), is full of natural sugar. At least I had fresh cranberries for my breakfast cereal . I don't think the Cranberry Relief affects her blood glucose.

Craig
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I'm looking for some now. I checked Amazon and Ebay, most everything has some kind of sugar. I'll head down to Vitamin Shoppe in the morning and see what I can find. I may just get the Cranberry Relief and buy the d-mannose and compound it. She's had 2 UTI's in 10 months and if it helps, we'll give it a try.

I sure do appreciate you guys!!!

Comment

I used this once. I researched all ingredients and I like the formulation.

https://www.herbsmithinc.com/product/bladdercare/
                Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

i cook jesses pinto beans in some vinegar. she also has not had a UTI (knock on wood )
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                    i cook jesses pinto beans in some vinegar. she also has not had a UTI (knock on wood )
                    Actually, that sounds pretty good!
                    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I'm going to give that a try!!

Comment

I went to Vitamin Shoppe (VS brand) and picked up some cranberry and d-mannose (sugar, corn, wheat, soy free) 60 capsules for 19.00. For her weight, I'll use 1/4 capsule and sprinkle it on her food so these should last for a while.

Also picked up some more apple cider vinegar to put in her water or in her food.

Maybe we can prevent these UTI's. Sure do hope so.

I'm so thankful for all of you. I can't imagine doing this alone.

Comment

This morning I opened a new bottle of Novolin N. I wanted to open it on a weekend so I could see how she reacted because last time I used a new bottle her BG dropped dangerously low.

I've slowly added cranberry/d-mannose and a tbs. of apple cider vinegar to her diet to see if we can ward of some UTI's and it did slightly elevate her blood sugar. Not a lot but enough for an slight adjustment. She's been in the high 200's at fasting.

Let's see how this goes.......

Comment

I never added Apple cider vinegar but I never noticed a problem with D Mannose raising Maggie. But, it worked like a charm. She had been getting antibiotic resistant UTI's and they stopped with d Mannose every meal.
                            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

How much did you give her?

Comment

Daisy just threw up. We were outside for a while and when we came in, I sat on the couch and she stretched out on the tile floor. 10 minutes later she puked.

I checked her BG and she's at 161.

She doesn't seem like she's running a fever.

Comment

Working...
                                X