Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum
 

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com

Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com The new www.K9Cushings.com is open! So this former temporary home is closed to new posts. Please go to www.k9cushings.com and check to see if your membership transferred there. It will remain viewable, however, until the transition to the new forum at http://www.k9cushings.com/forum is complete.

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 05-17-2009, 04:46 PM
gpgscott's Avatar
gpgscott gpgscott is offline
Interim CC
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 73
Default Re: Barney

Hi Cheryl,

Glad Barn is looking better and hoping the specialist gives you the high sign.

Can't recommend a product on the carpet issue but what Beth and Louse have said makes sense.

Scott
  #62  
Old 05-19-2009, 06:29 PM
LuvMyMunchie's Avatar
LuvMyMunchie LuvMyMunchie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 176
Default Re: Barney

Hey Cheryl,

How did Barney's eye appointment go????

Louise

Last edited by LuvMyMunchie; 05-19-2009 at 07:20 PM.
  #63  
Old 05-19-2009, 06:48 PM
barney's mom barney's mom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 65
Default Re: Barney

Hey!
The ulcer is healing, the vet said there are new blood vessels forming to bring blood to the eye and that a clot is forming over the affected area. (thats a good thing) He also said the blood vessels would dissipate after the area has healed over. He said ulcers with no vessels have a 30% chance of healing while cases like Barney where the vessels have formed have a 70% chance of healing. He feels that Barneys will heal within the next 2 weeks to a month. He wants to see him after the scab or clot dissipates.
He also said Barney has a corneal membrane defect. He showed me how the new cells just move loosely over the eye instead of adhering. He said he has a 99% chance of a new ulcer forming in that eye or in the other eye.

There is a procedure where they "burn" little holes into the cornea (100 in each eye) He never gave me the name of the procedure! I want to read up on it. But he has performed over 2200 of them and has never had a failure and has never lost a dog. He wants to do both eyes because with Barney's kidney issues and his age he may not be a candidate for anesthesia in the future and with an almost certain chance of recurrence he feels we should do this in a month or so. It would be 845.00 for one eye and 1275.00 plus medications for both eyes. I was expecting worse
What do you all think?
  #64  
Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 PM
BestBuddy's Avatar
BestBuddy BestBuddy is offline
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 816
Default Re: Barney

Good news about the ulcer. Surgery is always something that has to be carefully considered but the fact that there will be more ulcers and they could be even more difficult to treat and heal that I would (my opinion only) go ahead with the surgery. I haven't heard of the "burn" procedure so I will have to google it so I understand what it all means.
Jenny
  #65  
Old 05-19-2009, 08:35 PM
LuvMyMunchie's Avatar
LuvMyMunchie LuvMyMunchie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 176
Default Re: Barney

I second Jenny's opinion, I'd opt for the surgery. I have no idea what the procedure is but if the eye doc has performed over 2,200 of them and has never had a failure, that sounds pretty darned good IMO!

Louise
  #66  
Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Lucygoo's Avatar
Lucygoo Lucygoo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 7
Default Re: Barney

Hi Cheryl....That sounds good to me. I would DEFINATELY do the surgery..

Gina and Lucy
  #67  
Old 05-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Harley PoMMom's Avatar
Harley PoMMom Harley PoMMom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: York, PA.
Posts: 66
Default Re: Barney

Hi Cheryl,

Hey there girl I know how busy your schedule is, so I had some time to surf on the internet and I typed in:
Quote:
a procedure where they "burn" little holes into the cornea (100 in each eye)
for a dog and found this: multiple punctate keratotomy, do you think this might be the procedure? I found this link,http://www.furrycritter.com/health/d...neal_ulcer.htm kinda interesting, doesn't tell you alot, tho.

Just tryin to help ya out. Give Barney a big hug from Harley and me and I'm so happy his eye is doing better.
  #68  
Old 05-20-2009, 03:54 PM
gpgscott's Avatar
gpgscott gpgscott is offline
Interim CC
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 73
Default Re: Barney

Hi Cheryl,

I am guessing that the holes anchor the cornea. I am sorry that Barney has this condition but it sounds like its either the surgery or continuing issues that may be even more threatening.

I know you will make the right descision.

Scott
  #69  
Old 05-20-2009, 04:39 PM
AlisonandMia AlisonandMia is offline
Interim CC
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 218
Default Re: Barney

Here's something on the procedure: http://dspace.library.cornell.edu:80...04%20Plant.pdf

If you google "thermokeratoplasty ulcer dog" there is quite a lot of info out there.

Alison
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:08 AM.


Disclaimer -- The content on this site is provided for informational and educational purposes only. While we make every effort to present information that is accurate and reliable, the views expressed here are not meant to be a substitute for the advice provided by a licensed veterinarian. Please consult with your veterinarian for specific advice concerning the medical condition or treatment of your pet and before administering any medication or pursuing any course of treatment that you may read about on this site.

The views and opinions expressed by contributors to this forum are strictly their own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and views of the owners, administrators, or moderators of this forum and the k9diabetes.com website.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009, 2010 k9diabetes.com. All rights reserved.