Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Daisy's Story

It's left over from before Daisy became diabetic. Thank goodness I kept it. I'll take her in when they get back Tues. and she'll do a urinalysis on her.

She still feels hot.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:51 PM

Yeah your Daisy is a one lucky dog to have you.

I use to save all Riles meds for an emergency

Good for you. I.m watching ur posts

How's Daisy girl today less peeing? Eating good?

Test at fasting u might have to raise her dose while on the antibiotics . u caught it early dear.

Mo
Old 07-22-2017, 05:16 PM

Thanks Mo!

Her bg was 268 this morning and 512 this evening. I gave her a teeny bit more insulin and took her for a walk.

She's still running a fever, I can tell. She's only had 3 doses so far, so her peeing is about the same. Daisy doesn't drink a lot of water, so I put a plastic cup on the porch (hahaha) to give her water when we're outside. She seems to take more water from the cup than her inside bowl.

Her appetite is very good, she eats everything.

What scares me is that this is the second UTI since April. In May, I started her on cranberry/d mannose and a tsp of apple cider vinegar each meal. If this doesn't clear, I'm going to ask the vet to do an antibiotic sensitivity culture. I hope she doesn't have stones or something.

I save everybody's meds, just in case. Glad I did.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:26 PM

Good job

Ya know what's good getting a vial of fast acting insulin to keep on hand. Its the "R".

Its good in situations like yours when u don't want to change the schedule of the nph insulin

Brings the blood sugar down in 30 minutes. Doesn't last long. Then u can still I inject the regular amount of mph long lasting insulin
Old 07-22-2017, 05:52 PM

She's on about 4.9 units of N. I was thinking of getting some R but I'm not sure how much to give her.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:20 PM
Founding Member

if you decide to give r as a correction to higher sugar your probably not in a regulation mode and the cause in daisy's case is a possible infection .

i have done this with jesse as she could be higher for to long of time so i would give her novolog or r . i really did not want to change NPH insulin and always wanted to keep that constant

now i haven't used this short and fast acting insulin for awhile and haven't needed to . if she is above 300 i might consider it and if i do i might
give a half unit i have given as little as a quarter unit

now some people use it as part of a normal routine and jesse did also but for me her blood sugar could change abruptly from day to day so that was just to risky

its very potent and works quickly
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 07-22-2017, 06:30 PM

Yup its potent misuse can cause problems.

Something to discuss with your vet Tuesday.

Just keep check on the antibiotics and BG for now. Daisy's ok
Old 07-22-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
its very potent and works quickly
That's what scares me so I've been very very hesitant on the R. She's does pretty well until a UTI starts. Then she skyrockets.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:56 AM

Fast insulin is unpredictable, especially when a body isn't used to it. And it's not likely it will maintain regulation for the nph, because it's kind of an artificial metabolism the dog isn't used to.
We all know trying to correct can cause more problems.
I've had lots of personal experience with fast insulin and it surprises me many times, and I've been using it for 15 years.
I'd ride out the uti or whatever it is. If she has crystals or something that's causing the urinary issue, some food ingredients can be the culprit. Even cranberry can make urine more acidic and unbalance urinary normalicy.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:56 AM

Daisy's fever is down and BG was 197 this morning. She's not hot to the touch anymore.

Her peeing is almost back to normal and she's not licking herself as much. Probiotics should be in by tomorrow, so we'll add that to her regime slowly. I ordered the Animal Essentials Plant Enzyme & Probiotics. There were several veterinary articles stating it helps with recurrent UTI's so we'll give it a try.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the cranberry/d mannose, apple cider vinegar and probiotics will help stave off these infections. Maybe it just takes a few months to get in to their systems and build their immunity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysaint View Post
We all know trying to correct can cause more problems.
And that I have done and caused more problems. I've learned Daisy can't be on a sliding scale like a human.

Last edited by Daisydog10; 07-23-2017 at 01:10 PM.