Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Daisy's Story

Quote:
i to had to work so i used an automatic dog feeder.
That's a good idea.

I can't figure out if she's having somogyi effect, dawn effect or she just needs a snack around 1.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:05 PM

Did she just switch back to Ruby's Stewbie today? If so, maybe her body needs 5 to 7 days to adjust to the switch.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 08-26-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMurphy View Post
Did she just switch back to Ruby's Stewbie today? If so, maybe her body needs 5 to 7 days to adjust to the switch.
She's been on Stewbie for about a week. I did change the RCG to Crave a few days ago, giving her 1/4 cup. I was getting the same numbers with RCG, only she had horrible post prandial effects. About an hour and a half to two hours after she would eat, she'd lay on her side with irregular breathing (deep and fast), just panting and miserable. A little over an hour later her breathing would normalize. I put her back on the Stewbie and she stopped.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:59 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

I noticed the name of the food is high protein adult. The higher protein and higher fat might be the culprit. High protein has a tendency to make the numbers less stable. The carb content has less of an impact on dogs, even though in humans it is a bit more impactful. Not that you shouldn't examine the carbs but low carb does no translate to better sugar. I can't explain this except that dogs tend to process things differently. I know, grain free, is important to some but grain can play an important role in lengthening out the insulin effect. There are some grain free foods that work great but it is worth noting that when companies take away grain, they sometimes replace that grain with ingredients that are not as useful.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydunn19 View Post
The higher protein and higher fat might be the culprit. High protein has a tendency to make the numbers less stable.
Well, I won't be giving her that then! I did give her a snack at 11:30 and she's still in the 200's so hopefully she won't go up too high by 6.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:54 PM
Founding Member

if insulin is not fed with sugar the body is going to respond to it on its terms

you think low glycemic is the way to go but it maybe the opposite approach that is needed

i have actually given jesse some honey which reduced a normal spike

i agree with amy on high protein and low glycemic as a problem for some dogs but my theory is injected insulin is not being fed causing the body to dump sugar thats why jesses carby milk bone works well for her to curb that response from the body
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 08-27-2017, 02:21 PM

I did an experiment last night and today and gave her a milk bone around 12:30p and went and got a lower fat, lower protein dog food. Just checked her and she's at 523 with an hour and a half to go. I'll break in 1/8 cup of the dog food tonight.
RC Glyco
Crude Protein (min) 35.0%
Crude Fat (min) 10.0%
Crude Fat (max) 14.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 10.0%
Moisture (max) 10.0%
Carbs 42

What I bought today:
Hills Adult
Protein 26%
Fat 11%
Carbs 44

Better or no? One of RCG first ingredients is corn gluten meal. I took her off that a couple days ago because 2 hours after she ate she would lay on her side and have irregular breathing. She did that when she was first diagnosed.

Last edited by Daisydog10; 08-27-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:30 PM
Founding Member

daisy appears to be having some issues that is affecting blood sugar

appetite problems and reaction to different foods . it seems something is going on with her digestive system .
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 08-27-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
it seems something is going on with her digestive system .
Is she not absorbing the food properly?

This all happened after she was done taking her antibiotics for UTI. In fact, the very next day.

Does she need probiotics? Enzymes? I'm at a loss. The vet said it was her dog food so I have been trying different combinations over the last 3 weeks. I leave her on it for 5 days and it's been no better.

Is she having Somagyi?

Please help.

Last edited by Daisydog10; 08-27-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisydog10 View Post
Is she not absorbing the food properly?

This all happened after she was done taking her antibiotics for UTI. In fact, the very next day.

Does she need probiotics? Enzymes? I'm at a loss. The vet said it was her dog food so I have been trying different combinations over the last 3 weeks. I leave her on it for 5 days and it's been no better.

Is she having Somagyi?

Please help.
Don't know if Daisy needs a probiotic, but I'm giving Annie one most mornings.

There are many probiotics sold on Amazon, I've tried three and really can't tell any difference. FortiFlora is probably the most expensive, but Annie seems to like the flavor and will lick her bowl clean when I stir it into her food.
https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Fortif...dog+probiotics

The reason I started the probiotics is that Annie was passing TERRIBLE gas! She would lie down in the living room and make such a stink we would gag Her poop was also very loose, almost diarrhea. That all cleared within a day or two after starting probiotics. My wife was so impressed that she put ME on a daily probiotic!

Craig