Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:39 AM

Default Re: New member Snowball

I see drops on Amazon by aSquared nutrition. They say 5000 mcg, but the serving size is the entire syringe of 30 drops, which would make a 500 mcg dose 3 drops. I donít see any problem ingredients, if someone wants to double check me on that though
Old 10-08-2018, 09:51 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Vitacost-Vita...70_&dpSrc=srch

Maybe this? the tablet is the right size. Seems to be Methyl. The liquid appears to say you must hold in mouth before swallowing.

Snowball isn't that well trained
Old 10-08-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Vitacost-Vita...70_&dpSrc=srch

Maybe this? the tablet is the right size. Seems to be Methyl. The liquid appears to say you must hold in mouth before swallowing.

Snowball isn't that well trained
Just make sure there are no added sugars. The GNC product has no sugar added.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 10-08-2018, 03:18 PM

358 at 6pm tonight. Now she can't walk again. So she woke up, sugar was at 298 and she walked pretty much fine to the door, went out, did her business and came back. She was wobbling a little bit, but pretty much fine. Maybe 20 minutes later we are feeding her and then she is having trouble walking. Give insulin and take hour 20 minute car ride to work. Get out and she can't walk. Bring her up to my office and for the rest of the day at least until 3 pm she is walking around the office almost like before she got the illness. Its bizarre. If it was high sugar, wouldn't it only hit when sugar is highest?
Old 10-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Founding Member

interesting she got worse after feeding and seemed to feel better right before . something to keep an eye on

what you want look for is patterns to things .
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 10-09-2018, 03:42 AM

Gave her 3 units last night. 247 reading this morning. I didn't want to move the dose, but if its high blood sugar causing it, I wanted to do something. This morning she was not walking great, but she is moving. What I definitely notice is on carpet she can walk decently most of the time. On hardwood/tile floor, she looks like she is on roller skates.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:54 AM

Gave her 3 units this morning. I feel like I'm going in the wrong direction. while she was walking a bit this morning, now she can't stand up.

173 at 9am

Edit: 9:26am and she is walking around a bit. Not super but walking around. She went to to drink from her bowl and fell on her face, but she walked out and in to my office. When I got here at 8:30am, she couldn't even pee. She would just fall down on the grass.

Last edited by robl45; 10-09-2018 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:29 AM

I don't think there's a direct correlation between high sugar in a given time period and problems walking. From what I've read, it's more of a condition that arises and can be erratic until it slowly goes away.
Uncontrolled hypothyroidism can also cause neuropathy symptoms.

I have a pdf file article from a veterinary congress if you want to message me.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:30 AM
Founding Member

I think trying the b-12 is worth a shot with higher doses to see if you see any improvement

It is a bit odd you see snowball does better and then regresses

Blood sugar seems good . Wood floors are a problem for my jesse .

you are doing a good job trying to help snowball and figure this out . It can be difficult to get an answer .

We have seen dogs on the forum with similar problems and it took 6 months or longer for some to get back to somewhat normality but those were much larger dogs

as long as snowball is eating and pooping and is not in extreme pain then you can wait to see if things improve . 11 years old is not real old for a little dog . Really you just started putting effort into this recently and you have done great . Whatever the process its probably going to be slow but snowball is worth it to you
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 10-09-2018, 08:16 AM
Founding Member

I think Holliís Dexter had walking issues that were different but I searched and couldnít find it