Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com

Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com The new www.K9Cushings.com is open! So this former temporary home is closed to new posts. Please go to www.k9cushings.com and check to see if your membership transferred there. It will remain viewable, however, until the transition to the new forum at http://www.k9cushings.com/forum is complete.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Hello, I am new here, Kallie just diagnosed

Kim - thanks for the water tip!!
Old 04-23-2009, 02:46 PM

Tammy; I have no experience with the gel either, please tell us how you give it. GOOD GIRL asking for the pred, your are being a great doggie advocate, we have to and believe me it gets easier and easier. Do you give that gel once per day? after eating? IF it is once per day 200 mg is right at 9 lbs that is about 4 kg, and we normally dose at 50 mg per kg so that would be 200 mg. right on the money...
Please tell us how the vet wants you to administer the med.
Great job so far sister.
Sharon
Old 04-23-2009, 02:55 PM

He said once a day. Its in a dropper so he said just put it down the back of the mouth. If that doesnt work I will maybe put it in a pill pocket or something. He said just make sure its the same time everyday. Preferably (i need a spell checker on here) in the morning. I think I'll give it to her after she eats?? That way if she doesn't eat I will know probably not to give her any more. If I give it first then she doesn't eat I will be afraid I overloaded her. Someone on the forum mentioned that tip and i thougt that sounded like an excellent idea - if I was understanding it correctly.

Tammy
Old 04-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Interim CC

Hi Tammy.

You should always dose after a meal not only because of the reason you stated but because it is tough on the tummy so you want food in there. Plus, I think food helps with absorption.

If your Mitotane/Lysodren is suspended in a beef or chicken broth, the chances are that Kallie will love it and you won't have to worry about how you are going to get it down her throat. My Jojo would have sucked it out of the syringe if I hadn't pushed the plunger.

Glynda

P.S. Just noticed that your vet prescribed something called Mitosone gel. I've never heard of it.

Last edited by Lulusmom; 04-23-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:10 PM

Tammy;
I think it was me and that is excellent advice about not meding before the meal and Glenda had a great thought as wel about being hard on the tummy as well.
Good luck and watch and you will see
Sharon
Old 04-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Sorry I meant mitotane, my mistake. Glad to hear it tastes good, at least to a dog!

Tammy
Old 04-24-2009, 06:05 PM

Default Kallie's test results - foreign language to me!

Mod note:
Moved from another thread started by Tammy (threads merged)

Does anyone that knows what these test results mean think they look out of the ordinary to you?? My vet seemed to have a hard time figuring them out. He did consult with the lab to come up with the conclusion. I don't know what the range should be. I would look up old posts from the old site to compare but they aren't there!

Tests done were:

LDD
4 hr cort 12.0
8 hr cort 7.5
baseline 2.3
(Vet said results seemed kind of odd to him) He had them run them twice and same result. (3/16/09)

Endogenous ACTH 11.1
(Vet called the endocrinologist because he was kind of stumped)
They said "significant magnitude to indicate pituitary-based disease when hyperadrenocorticism has been confirmed." Univ of Michigan

I am just hoping they are in the ranges of a dog with Pituitary Cushings, since she starts treatment tomorrow.

Thanks!!!!

Tammy

Last edited by AlisonandMia; 04-27-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:54 AM

Glynda - I just gave her the first dose of (beef flavored gel) this morning and she loved it! lol. Thanks for letting me know your Jojo liked it. I slept good last night - if you hadn't told me I probably would have been awake all night worrying about this morning, wondering if I could get her to take it. Hopefully by this time next week she will be all done loading and I'll be moved on to the next phase.

Thank you everyone. I was leaning towards not treating Kallie when I first found out she had Cushings, because I thought the treatment sounded too harsh. I only knew it was a really strong medicine and didn't want to put her thru that at her age (almost 14). But after reading all your experiences and information. it's not so scary to me anymore.

Tammy
Old 04-30-2009, 06:54 AM

Hope I did the right thing - I always second guess myself. Kallie is on Dose #6 today. The vet originally had her scheduled to come in for a ACTH test this morning, he likes the 5 day mark. I called yesterday and said she didn't show any signs of loading yet. Still strong appetite, drink, pee etc. So he rescheduled her for tomorrow morning. Last night her stool was a little softer than normal, so I am watching that too. This morning I gave her Dose 6 after she readily ate. But the rest of the morning she seems kinda quiet and just went back to bed. She didn't poop yet, I was kinda waiting to see. She does have up and down days anyway, I am just always paranoid when it comes to her. I go home for lunch everyday so I'll get to see how she is eating then. If she shows any signs of hesitation or has softer stool again do I just wait til tomorrow's appointment? Do you ususally wait til the next morning so you can do a test without eating? Or do you take your dogs right away for the test even if she has eaten??

Tammy
Old 04-30-2009, 07:00 AM

Oh and she pee's yellow again!! Haven't seen that in a long time. Usually its clear.