Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com

Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com The new www.K9Cushings.com is open! So this former temporary home is closed to new posts. Please go to www.k9cushings.com and check to see if your membership transferred there. It will remain viewable, however, until the transition to the new forum at http://www.k9cushings.com/forum is complete.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Newly diagnosed, our beloved Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardeb55 View Post
Cushing's is a very slowly progressing disease, so you can take a month or two to thoroughly review everything, educate yourself on the disease, possibly get a second opinion from another vet, then make the best informed decision you can on Buddy's behalf.

Debbie
I just wanted to second what Debbie said. I think a lot of us come to a Cushing's diagnosis with a certain amount of panic, which makes it hard to process all the NUMBERS and other information we're bombarded with. It's very helpful to realize that this is not a disease where you need to make life-or-death decisions in the first day or week or month when you get the diagnosis. You do have time to find an experienced vet and plan an approach to treatment.

Also, I think the idea of keeping a list of vets that we can vouch for as being Cushing's-experienced is great. It would be particularly helpful for new members to have a sticky post they can go to right away without having to search archives to see if anyone has recommended a particular vet. Another forum I'm on for laryngeal paralysis keeps a database of surgeons experience in treating the disease, with contact info for the forum members who've had first-hand experience with that vet.

Carin
Old 04-26-2009, 07:22 AM
Interim CC

Posting information received from Buddy's mom, Karen, via PM

Regarding Buddy's symptoms:
Excessive Thirst - YES. Excessive Urination - YES. Panting - YES. Increased Appetite - Not really, although he IS overweight. Weakness...especially in hindquarters - Not really, maybe a little when hopping up to get into the SUV. Changes in Coat - NO. Hair Loss - NO. Recurrent infections - NO.

Blindness - YES. Detatched Retina - I don't think so. Vet looked into his eyes and she should've seen a detatched retina. She said the vessels in the back of his right eye were atrophied, but okay in his left eye. Onset has been over past several months.

Regarding Buddy's breeding:

He is a mixed breed. You can see photos of him under my member name: Kakesie. Someone dumped him in the country when he was about 9 months old and a friend of mine picked him up and that's how we got him.

When we took him to the vet, she thought he looked like a "Grosser Munsterlander". She showed me a photo in a book and he does look like one. She said there were some people who were breeding them south of town, (which is where he was found), but I suspect he isn't a purebred or he wouldn't have been dumped. Either that or someone wanted him as a hunting dog and he's a big 'fraidy cat. He's scared of everything, so I'm sure he'd be spooked by a gun.

I had never heard of a Munsterlander, so my best guess would've been a cross of black lab and pointer maybe. He is black with white speckles and a curled plumy tail. He has a longer, feathery coat, similar to that of a golden retriever.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:51 AM

Hi Karen,

Just wanted to add my welcome!

You've been given some great info already and I don't have much to add tho I do concur with everything that has been said, especially about the difficulty diagnosing Cushing's and the need for further testing before you start treatment. Lysodren and Trilostane are BOTH powerful drugs and should not be administered until a diagnosis has been confirmed via several tests. At the very least, I would like to see Buddy have an ultrasound (not Xray). The "normal" bloodwork and urinalysis is a bit concerning since you will usually see changes there if the pup is Cushinoid. Once you are able to post the test results, that will help, tho.

I know all this is terribly confusing right now, but I promise in no time you will understand quite a bit. On that understanding your knowledge will grow, and with knowledge comes confidence. Hey, if I can start to grasp a bit of this stuff, any one can! And we are here to help you all we can anytime.

Some tricks you can use to help you remember what is said at the vets office are:

* take a notebook and pen, and take notes; if the vet is going too fast, ask them to slow down explaining you are trying to do all you can to learn
* take someone with you to listen and/or take notes with you
* take a recording device (be sure to let the vet know they are being recorded )

I am really glad to see you and Buddy here and hope to learn more about you both in the future!
Hugs,
Leslie and the girls

PS. some links to help you get started on your cush education

Kate Connick*
http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html
(especially easy to read and understand...written in laymen terms and has good list of signs)

Long Beach Animal Hospital*
http://www.lbah.com/canine/cushings.htm

Drs. Foster and Smith*
http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2097&aid=416

Newman Veterinary*
http://www.newmanveterinary.com/CushingDiag.html

Cushing’s signs and pics*
http://www.newmanveterinary.com/CushSignFrame.html

BMD Health Library*
http://www.bestbeau.ca/bmd_health_links_4.htm
(scroll down to see Endocrine Diseases)

Mar Vista Animal Medical Center*
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/cushing_s_disease.html

Vetstream*
http://www.vetstreamcanis.com/ACI/Fe...ctSheet052.asp
Old 04-26-2009, 10:44 AM

Hi Karen,

I wanted to offer my belated welcome to you and Buddy. You've been given lots of information to mentally digest right now and at this point I can't think of a thing to add. I'm mainly here right now to offer my support.

Will be watching for your updates.

Louise
Old 04-26-2009, 01:20 PM

A HUGE THANK YOU to all of you, (most recently Carin, Leslie and Louise), for all your information, advice and support! And thank you to the many who have read our story but just didn't have anything to add to what these knowledgable people have already said. I can tell you all love your doggies like my daughter and I love ours and so you understand how hard it is when one is diagnosed with a serious illness. I think the kindest people in the world are dog / animal lovers and I've found a wealth of wonderful people here! Thank you to each one of you!

Thank you, Glynda for posting the information I sent to you about Buddy's breed and symptoms. I will be contacting the vet on Monday to get copies of his test results so I will have numbers to refer to.

Thank you, Leslie, for the great list of Cushing's links you gave me!!!

I second what Carin said about having a list of good veterinarians. In fact, I think I'll start a separate thread about that subject.

Bless you all and your doggies!
Karen, Saralisa, Buddy & Dolly
Old 04-29-2009, 01:17 PM

WOW! I don't BELIEVE this!!! My vet just "fired" me!

I called my vet on Monday and asked (the receptionist) if I could get Buddy's specific test names and his results. I had also talked to her on Friday about using a nebulizer for our other dog, Dolly, who has Mega Esophagus Disease. (Dogs with that disease often DIE from aspiration pneumonia, which Dolly is suffering from right now). She told me she would find out how I could get a canine mask for a nebulizer and let me know on Monday, or Tuesday at the latest. She asked me if I had enough antibiotics to get Dolly through the weekend and I said yes, but that she was almost out. She ran out Monday morning, so that was another reason I was calling.

I told her from the beginning of Dolly's disease that I was on a support group for Mega E and also had found this one for Cushing's. When Dolly was first diagnosed, I printed out some of the information I found on that site, and showed it to her, such as the names of medications other vets were using on Mega E dogs and other things, (like the nebulizer) that others had found to be helpful. Except for treating the frequent infections that often happen with Mega E disease, she has not tried any of the other suggestions to help Dolly.

Okay, now that you have a bit of the background, back to today:
It's now Wednesday afternoon and she still hadn't called me back. Dolly is still out of antibiotics and her temperatire is 103.8 and she's shivering uncontrollably.

So I called my vet's receptionist and politely asked again. The receptionist said, "Oh, we mailed you some information yesterday." I hadn't checked the mail yet, so I thanked her very much and asked her if I could get more antibiotics for Dolly's fever. she said she'd ask the vet and call me back. So I went out to the maibox to get Buddy's information that they supposedly sent and I found this letter:

Karen,

I think you are extremely fortunate to have time to spend in internet chat rooms all day. Unfortunately I do not. My days are filled with providing the highest quality care for hundreds of patients, all of which I am equally dedicated to, and although a great deal of information available on the internet may be accurate, much more of it is no more than idle dribble. I am confident that the care you have received from this practice has been exceptional, all the while respectfully working hard to remain within your financial constraints.*

I have no idea how other veterinarians respond to clients doing their own internet research. I for one feel extremely insulted every time my research is reviewed and critiqued by on-line, uneducated laypersons, who have absolutely no idea the amount of time and diligence involved with the on-going educational process required to achieve the level of excellence in patient care that veterinarians strive for.

At this time, I feel that perhaps you should consult with your colleagues in the support group regarding another appropriate veterinary care facility to meet your needs. Please let us know where we may forward your records, and to which pharmacy we may forward Dolly's prescriptions.

Sincerely,
(her name)

*(I just paid her over $750 for two check-ups, Bloodwork on Dolly, Buddy's Low Dex test, and antibiotics for Dolly).

I'm just in shock! I am a very polite, un-demanding, cooperative person. I feel like I've just been kicked in the stomach! Any feedback, please???

Thanks,
Karen, Buddy & Dolly
Old 04-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Interim CC

UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!
I'm gonna read the rest of your thread now...
-Susy
Old 04-29-2009, 02:22 PM

That is truly shocking! However, after I talk to my vet tomorrow, she may fire me.I just printed out maintenance protocol on lysodren from Dr. Feldman about dividing doses, and when I show this to her, it may be the end of us too. These vets are so insecure if they are not interested in hearing the opinions of others. It seems like it's usually the younger ones who get so upset. I have run into this with my daughter's many doctors. I hope you have several other options where you live. It shouldn't be hard to find a better vet, that's for sure. Anyway good luck and don't take it personally. Sharon
Old 04-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Interim CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakesie View Post
She consulted with vets in Kansas City who said life expectancy once diagnosed is 2-3 years with treatment OR without treatment. She explained that the problems with trying to reduce the cortisol production with lysodren or trilostane is that it needs to be closely monitored and can easily go too far, pushing the dog into Addison's. Her mentor in Kansas City said if they keep yo-yoing, they sometimes purposely destroy the pituitary gland putting them permanently into Addison's and then treat them with steroids.
OMG – with the kind of information she has given you and the letter she wrote you…Good Riddance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakesie View Post
Vets are wonderful, but owners of a dog with a disease have the passion and drive to do the research on that one disease and try every option and come up with creative solutions, that Vets who have to know about a lot of different diseases simply don't have the time to do.
Completely agree with you – I, too, do not expect any vet to be an expert on everything – It’s too bad that you have this understanding, but your vet just sees what you’re doing as offensive. I feel lucky with my GP vet – she immediately sent me to an IMS vet, but I still work with the GP vet for the regular testing. She does not claim or act like she’s an expert in everything that ails my pup – she is upfront with me if she is not familiar with something and is open to learning or trying new things (as long as she doesn’t see anything inherently wrong with it).

If there isn't a Cushing's expert near you, maybe you can at least find a vet who is open to learning new things...and one that truly does research instead of consulting with one particular vet that she assumes is knowledgable and updated on the testing, treatment & monitoring of Cushing's...and one that puts their patients above their own ego!

I hope someone here can give you a referral.

Did you at least get copies of all the test results...THAT YOU PAID FOR?

-Susy

Last edited by Wylie's Mom; 04-29-2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: additional venting
Old 04-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Founding Member

Karen,
I am shocked at your letter and my first response is to write something nasty back but I don't know your situation and what other vet services are available. There is no way a vet who sees hundreds of dogs can know your dog as intimately as you. If you have to mend fences with her then you have to try to get her to understand that you are not "checking up" on her just trying to learn and understand this disease so that you can be part of the treatment. The suggestions given here are just that-suggestions. We all have been through so many different things with this disease that it is so nice to know you are not alone and that any strange problem you see usually has appeared before in someones dog and they can offer those suggestions on what to do.
Jenny